Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Oscar Noms

NBA sixth man of the year Thorpesaurous's Avatar

Default Re: Oscar Noms

Quote Originally Posted by KevinNYC
    Have you seen all these films?

I haven't seen Sniper, but I would be surprised if Michael Keaton didn't win. Great performance and good comeback story.

Also when do you think the backlash against Sniper begins? I would say by first week of February everyone will be hearing about what a liar the real guy was. Since American Sniper deals with the guy not just at war but also stateside I was wondering how they handled it, according to Slate they just avoided that part of the guy's character.

Here's the backstory to the stories Chris Kyle told.
    I'm going to see Sniper tonight, but based on everything I've read it sounds like they could've just fictionalized the story and made it a generic soldier sniper thing. They've gutted the source material and overall the film is good but somewhat bland. There was a ton of surprise that it was as well received as it was, and it wasn't nearly as well received in the lead up events, and there's a sense that Eastwood, it's profitability, and it's subject matter appealed to the larger group of old timer'y segment of the Oscar voting pool, which while shrinking, still makes up a good segment.

Decent playground baller Practice?'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Nastradamus
    PTA and Nolan both put out solid films
    What movie did Nolan put out besides Interstellar?

Quote Originally Posted by Thorpesaurous
    I'm going to see Sniper tonight, but based on everything I've read it sounds like they could've just fictionalized the story and made it a generic soldier sniper thing. They've gutted the source material and overall the film is good but somewhat bland. There was a ton of surprise that it was as well received as it was, and it wasn't nearly as well received in the lead up events, and there's a sense that Eastwood, it's profitability, and it's subject matter appealed to the larger group of old timer'y segment of the Oscar voting pool, which while shrinking, still makes up a good segment.
    I think it's benefitting from the fact they select more nominations these days.

It's at 74% at Rotten Tomatoes. Wonder if it's so low for the reasons I mentioned.

This is surprising.
    The highest-grossing Best Picture nominee this year is The Grand Budapest Hotel, which is writer/director Wes Anderson's biggest movie ever with $59.1 million

This is surprising.

That's a little misleading because it's been out for almost a year while American Sniper has been on four screens for three weeks.

Really surprised Sniper is getting a best picture nomination. It was good but nothing amazing. Despite their flaws, I was much more impressed by Interstellar and Gone Girl.

Quote Originally Posted by chazzy
    Really surprised Sniper is getting a best picture nomination. It was good but nothing amazing. Despite their flaws, I was much more impressed by Interstellar and Gone Girl.
    Neither really have any flaws.
    Those two and grand budapest hotel are perfect films this year
    Interstellar is criticized in the weakest way possible with trying to find flaws where there aren't any because everybody who wants Nolan to fail just can't fathom the fact that he hasn't had a bad movie. Ever.
    And Gone Girl gets criticized only because people still can't accept that Ben Affleck is a great actor and overall a great cinematic mind
    Last edited by SexSymbol; 01-16-2015 at 06:47 PM.

NBA sixth man of the year KyrieTheFuture's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SexSymbol
    Interstellar is criticized in the weakest way possible with trying to find flaws where there aren't any because everybody who wants Nolan to fail just can't fathom the fact that he hasn't had a bad movie. Ever.
    And Gone Girl gets criticized only because people still can't accept that Ben Affleck is a great actor and overall a great cinematic mind

Quote Originally Posted by KyrieTheFuture
    that's just the truth

This is surprising.
    It's number 53rd from the list to boot!

After seeing American Sniper, with 8 best pic noms, I can live with it being there. I'dve preferred something a little more adventurous even if it were flawed, like either Gone Girl or Interstellar, which I still can't coherently express my feelings about. But I'm fine with it.

And Cooper was good enough to warrant a best actor nom, even though the role was pretty thin. He did really good work with the intensity and the PTSD stuff. But it wasn't a great role. There's wasn't a ton to work with. I'dve preferred Gyllenhaal from Nightcrawler, but Cooper is defendable.

I don't understand the Adapted Screenplay nom at all. The characters are all pretty one note, even with as good as Cooper handles it. The movie works based on some really well done action sets and good pacing. But the emotional stuff is flat, in part because the characters are a bit flat, and there's just not much screenplay there. And if you're throwing in the element of adapting from existing material, most of what I've read in excerpts from the book aren't even in the movie. They stripped the book for the most straightline narrative they could get out of it. And left out a lot of the anecdotal stuff of questionable veracity that gave the book it's pep from what I understand.

weak year for leading actors

Where is Jake Gyllenhaal

Quote Originally Posted by SexSymbol
    Everything you say, NBA related or not...

Quote Originally Posted by ArbitraryWater
    weak year for leading actors

Where is Jake Gyllenhaal

Everything you say, NBA related or not...
    So once again you can't refute any argument or point out flaws with either of the films that are somewhat major.
    You just suck, 40+ posts per day

This is surprising.
    Well, American Sniper is about to pass this in its opening weekend