Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 1234512 ... LastLast
    Earned not given

Default Re: Religion is a disease

Quote Originally Posted by Penny37
    What do Adolf Hitler, Joseph Stalin, Mao Zedong, and Pol Pot all have in common?
    What caused the massacre and rape of millions of Africans and indigenous peoples in both North and South America, the Caribbean, and the Philippines?

Quote Originally Posted by Penny37
    What do Adolf Hitler, Joseph Stalin, Mao Zedong, and Pol Pot all have in common?
    Fancy beards?

trannies are a disease.

Quote Originally Posted by chosen_one6
    What caused the massacre and rape of millions of Africans and indigenous peoples in both North and South America, the Caribbean, and the Philippines?
    I'm not defending religion. But if we're going to place blame let's place blame on all who have done wrong. That includes Atheists.

Nobody's perfect.

Good High School Starter LOLCATS's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bandito
    But is not a race. That's like one person I know saying a transgender man is a woman, but in fact is not. Some people are just delusional and should not be taken seriously.
    I just saw this. You are an absolute idiot. Do you even know what a transgendered man is? This -

This is a transgender girl.

If they look the same to you, I think you are the one who is gay.

At the end, religion is just a tool. It can help people's lives and also kill people.

The people who use it is the real problem.

Banned

it is a tool.

a tool that gives power to a few over many.

and the few can shape the many into anything they want.

unless you go into it with dutiful conscience, you're in there to get taken advantage of.

It's not simply that "religion is a disease". Religious fundamentalism is a disease, i.e., religion without reason. The other side is also true, "Atheist-fundamentalism" is a disease, i.e., reason without absolute true principles.

What is not talked about is the latter. Many atheistic regimes-> stalin, pol-pot, etc. have caused as many wars and deaths as religious regimes.

Whether you're religious or not, morality is based on "right-reason", which we can know just by being human beings. It's when religion or atheism messes this up is when we get into trouble.

But there's more to religion than just "being good"....

Quote Originally Posted by No.45
    It's not simply that "religion is a disease". Religious fundamentalism is a disease, i.e., religion without reason. The other side is also true, "Atheist-fundamentalism" is a disease, i.e., reason without absolute true principles.

What is not talked about is the latter. Many atheistic regimes-> stalin, pol-pot, etc. have caused as many wars and deaths as religious regimes.

Whether you're religious or not, morality is based on "right-reason", which we can know just by being human beings. It's when religion or atheism messes this up is when we get into trouble.

But there's more to religion than just "being good"....
    This is a load of nonsense. What exactly is "right-reason"? A different thing for every person, i.e. a completely subjective concept.

Any analysis of history and the plethora of diverse cultural mores that have existed in the past, show the malleability of human morality, and the arbitrary basis for it.

Quote Originally Posted by LOLCATS
    I just saw this. You are an absolute idiot. Do you even know what a transgendered man is? This -

This is a transgender girl.

If they look the same to you, I think you are the one who is gay.
    How does being wrong make me gay? I would love to read that explanation from you. Being gay is taking up the butt, you have more experience with that than me though.

NBA All-star

I might get divorced from my none-existing future wife

if I book mark this thread for future references in the scenario that any of my kids failed a math exam.

NBA All-star

Quote Originally Posted by Bandito
    How does being wrong make me gay? I would love to read that explanation from you. Being gay is taking up the butt, you have more experience with that than me though.

if being in love with a higher moral/power, in which is deemed to have lower cognitive ability in all scenarios, or a particular situation.

I guess there are many different terms for it.

p.s. what's God's punishment of the female version in terms of liquor d*ck?

We all understand the conventional meaning of "race", but what is the etymology of the word "race"

1. A group of people identified as distinct from other groups because of supposed physical or genetic traits shared by the group. Most biologists and anthropologists do not recognize race as a biologically valid classification, in part because there is more genetic variation within groups than between them.
    2. A group of people united or classified together on the basis of common history, nationality, or geographic distribution: the Celtic race.
    3. A genealogical line; a lineage.
    4. Humans considered as a group.
    5. Biology

NBA rookie of the year

Quote Originally Posted by Dresta
    No it won't. I wouldn't be surprised if scientific knowledge were flipped on its arse before the death of the religious impulse. The human longing for the numinous, transcendent and unified is inherent, and there's no changing that. From my own personal experience the non-religious tend to adhere faithfully to their own dogmatisms, without evidence for them, perhaps even more so than the religious. They have their faith and their moral certainties too.

Even I must accept that my position as an anti-metaphysician is a faith and a metaphysics in itself.
    Please provide examples when you make statements like this.

Eg. believing in a virgin birth or a 7 headed dragon or a talking snake or turning into a pillar of salt or 2 of every animal on a ship, believing you go to heaven if you are "good", believing you got to hell if you are sinful, believing in limbo, etc

I dont disagree that religion will always exist.

But it is interesting to watch the decline of Christianity in North western europe, (the most developed/advanced region in the world)

Percentages of people in European countries who said in 2010 that they "believe there is a God"

you will notice the very low percentage of Nordic peoples who believe there is a god
    Also note that the question is if they "believe there is a God". Muslims probably push the numbers higher and thus Christianity maybe even more in decline within europe than that survey indicates.

I believe the catholic church is still very popular in latin america and along with various forms of Protestantism growing in africa.

I wouldn't be surprised if scientific knowledge were flipped on its arse before the death of the religious impulse
    Which is completely fine, as long as the new scientific discoveries are validated by the scientific method
    Last edited by MavsSuperFan; 01-17-2015 at 01:33 PM.

NBA rookie of the year

Quote Originally Posted by LOLCATS
    Too many uneducated people. For example, uneducated racists see Arab as Muslim. So they target Muslims for racist reasons. That is just a example. Unfortunately to a lot of people race and religion are intertwined.
    That is just their stupidity.

Islam or any other religion/ideology is not in anyway a genetic trait. If i adopted a child from a muslim parent and raised it to not be a muslim, that child probably wouldnt be a muslim.

The reverse is true as well. Religion is learned behavior.

Its impossible to be racist against a religion. Now you can be discriminatory towards a religion.

There is also a difference between discriminatory toward an ideology/religion and being discriminatory towards followers of that ideology/religion