Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Going Vegan

Default Re: Going Vegan

The plant is wholly aware that it's in a state of stress and physical harm. It's expressing chemical pain in just the same way but doesn't not have, or better stated, does not need, a nervous system to properly react.

And, yeah, animals are not self aware.

~the original p.tiddy~ ~primetime~'s Avatar

IMO there is much more suffering involved with a 'conscious creature' in a tortured state in comparison to a plant.

For the record, I eat meat...I am not convinced that cows - pigs - poultry - ect "give a shit" given they aren't tortured and are free to roam. Unfortunately the majority of meat the population eats comes from a cage and is tortured.

I don't wholly agree. Life is life. It's easier for us to empathize with the pain of a deer because it's similar to ours, but ultimately you don't really know the physiological stress that a clam, beetle, corn stalk, or perch are under when injured nor how it feels to them.

Hence, I will refrain from valuing one over the other.

Good points on both sides of the discussion.

I wont claim to know whether or not plants suffer when we grow and harvest them for food, but I do think its pretty obvious that cows suffer when we raise them to be milked and pigs suffer when we raise them for slaughter.

Quote Originally Posted by Nanners
    Good points on both sides of the discussion.

I wont claim to know whether or not plants suffer when we grow and harvest them for food, but I do think its pretty obvious that cows suffer when we raise them to be milked and pigs suffer when we raise them for slaughter.
    Life is designed to survive off stealing life from others this whole system is messed up man.I can only prolong my life by cutting short the lives of other things just like they can only live from cutting short the lives of animals/plants weaker than them.

Quote Originally Posted by Im so nba'd out
    Life is designed to survive off stealing life from others this whole system is messed up man.I can only prolong my life by cutting short the lives of other things just like they can only live from cutting short the lives of animals/plants weaker than them.
    I dont really have a problem with cutting another life short so that mine can be longer, as you say thats just how the circle of life works.

My problem is whether or not it is morally justified to farm sentient animals inside cages on an industrial scale, sentient animals whose only purpose in life is to be my food.

Quote Originally Posted by Nanners
    I dont really have a problem with cutting another life short so that mine can be longer, as you say thats just how the circle of life works.

My problem is whether or not it is morally justified to farm sentient animals inside cages on an industrial scale, sentient animals whose only purpose in life is to be my food.
    Well that's a different issue than veganism. A more expensive issue, but a different one none the less. I think you'll find yourself happier, more healthy, and at ease with your dietary decisions if you cut your meat intake down to 1-2 times a week, restrict it to organic pastured green, and throw in 1-2 fish and shellfish (organic is a bit more tricky with aquatics) to go along with vegetarian options the rest of the week.

Quote Originally Posted by DeuceWallaces
    Well that's a different issue than veganism. A more expensive issue, but a different one none the less. I think you'll find yourself happier, more healthy, and at ease with your dietary decisions if you cut your meat intake down to 1-2 times a week, restrict it to organic pastured green, and throw in 1-2 fish and shellfish (organic is a bit more tricky with aquatics) to go along with vegetarian options the rest of the week.
    Yeah, perhaps what I am talking about is not exactly veganism, I mainly just want to start consuming fewer animal products from farms.
    Last edited by Nanners; 01-16-2015 at 07:55 PM.

Learning to shoot layups

Quote Originally Posted by ~primetime~
    yep, because they feel pain and are capable of 'suffering'
    Actually, not every animal feels pain.

Quote Originally Posted by The Macho Man
    Fvkboys cryin for shrubs tho
    Guess I should have expected a fucktard like yourself to miss the point.

I agree with OP... it is exploitation. It's not much different then penning up females and then when they come of age take them out to have sex with them. You could never teach them anything and they would be cognitively inferior just like the animals. We do this to animals not out of need, but instead out of a lust for meat. if these animals had a choice would they choose for their lives to be this way? Heck no. But the truth is, they might not even know any better and it's not our fault that the system is so screwed up. Either way whether you are eating plants or animals though, all life is related to us... animals are just closer to us on the evolutionary tree. I'm sure each plant wouldn't decide to get eaten either... everything is programmed to try and survive. It's all kind of a wash. Just be kind to the animals and execute them humanely.
    Last edited by Swaggin916; 01-17-2015 at 02:31 AM.

Decent college freshman

Morals come from social contract, which animals do not take part in.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

Just eat Pop-Tarts, Doritos, and Oreos only, and voila, you're 100% vegan.

Well back in grade school they taught us we were predators and top of the food chain so I never felt bad about cows and stuff until I saw how they are bred and grown on a factory farm. I still gladly eat meat though but not with the same justified naive view before though

I was a vegeterian for close to two years. Its really healthy for you physically and mentally. Also u dont have to worry about getting cancer