Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Banned

Default Re: Jahill Okafor's defense

Quote Originally Posted by GOBB
    What are you even saying here? I don't even read espn but I'll let you tell it. Only time I go on espn is to see whats games are scheduled.

And yes it is funny to see an 18 year old criticized for his defense from a known Orlando Magic homer who doesn't limit, bash Vucevic defense or lack thereof.

Stating the obvious here. Relay that to Ariza4three instead of being so butt hurt when nothing I said was directed to you. Didnt even know you were a Magic fan. If only Vucevic was as defensive as you were. Oh boy, might have something even better on your hands Orlando.
    Sorry you replied right after my post and I have a Payton avatar and you've made fun of Orlando to me before so I assumed you were talking to me when I was defending Okafor. Makes more sense if it were directed at jameer because knowing him his original post would have been agenda driven. One annoyance on ISH is that when you support a team that's not currently winning people try and use that as if you put that team together yourself and as such don't know about basketball which makes no sense. Your last joke about if vucevic was defensive as me actually made me laugh to be honest so well played.

Quote Originally Posted by outbreak
    Sorry you replied right after my post and I have a Payton avatar and you've made fun of Orlando to me before so I assumed you were talking to me when I was defending Okafor. Makes more sense if it were directed at jameer because knowing him his original post would have been agenda driven. One annoyance on ISH is that when you support a team that's not currently winning people try and use that as if you put that team together yourself and as such don't know about basketball which makes no sense. Your last joke about if vucevic was defensive as me actually made me laugh to be honest so well played.

I agree with the bold.

I honestly never knew that was Payton in avatar. For some odd reason I thought you were an OKC fan. Dont ask why. My eyes generally read the username and automatically attach team. But yeah nothing you said in your post above mine was wrong. It was on point. But I see why you replied because I did post right after you. Now that you broke down being a fan (wont forget anymore) it makes sense. My bad dude.

And Ariza4three = jameer? I think I'll stop paying attention to his posts now. That explains a ton. I lost track of these alts poster have now.

Banned

I agree with the bold.

I honestly never knew that was Payton in avatar. For some odd reason I thought you were an OKC fan. Dont ask why. My eyes generally read the username and automatically attach team. But yeah nothing you said in your post above mine was wrong. It was on point. But I see why you replied because I did post right after you. Now that you broke down being a fan (wont forget anymore) it makes sense. My bad dude.

And Ariza4three = jameer? I think I'll stop paying attention to his posts now. That explains a ton. I lost track of these alts poster have now.
    What the **** are you even bitching about? "hurr hurr what's an orlando fan talking about defense when vuc is a bad defender?" what's the point of even bringing that up? I've called Vuc out for being a bad defender at times MANY times on this forum and on multiple others. Who I go for has literally nothing to do with Jahill Okafor's defense, so keep your ****ing mouth shut.

Was Tim Duncan similar when he came out of Wake Forest? He always had that sneaky athleticism but was never a freak of nature, would like someone to clarify for me. If that's the case, then Okafor has nothing to worry about as long as he keeps working hard imo.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by sammichoffate
    Was Tim Duncan similar when he came out of Wake Forest? He always had that sneaky athleticism but was never a freak of nature, would like someone to clarify for me. If that's the case, then Okafor has nothing to worry about as long as he keeps working hard imo.
    I'm pretty sure Duncan was never a bad defensive player.

He definitely has to work on his defense. Doesn't have that elite athleticism and is a below the rim player. Rim protector? Can he guard Centers who love to face up and shoot? Can he defend the pick n roll? Weak side defense?

If Okafor had WCS athletic and defensive ability? Holy shit.

Orlando fan talking about defense and his Center is Vucevic? Funny
    He definitely doesn't play below the rim. He has had some monster dunks.

But its true his defense is suspect. Like I said earlier, that tends not to be a big deal when you are as good as he is on offense.

Quote Originally Posted by Ariza4three
    I'm pretty sure Duncan was never a bad defensive player.
    He had three extra years at college to work on that, so it's probably gonna end up being a process for Okafor if his defense is as bad as everyone makes it out to be. Being a "bad" athlete never means you can be a bad defender as long as you work hard at it.

Quote Originally Posted by UK2K
    He definitely doesn't play below the rim. He has had some monster dunks.

But its true his defense is suspect. Like I said earlier, that tends not to be a big deal when you are as good as he is on offense.
    Should've said he typically plays below the rim, or not an above the rim player. I wouldn't label him a below the rim player outright.

If there was a way he could improve his explosiveness he would be a better defensive player. But I'll take Okafor next to Embiid.

Quote Originally Posted by sammichoffate
    no, not similar at all in that regard.

btw...I think Duncan comparisons should stop. He is two tiers below Duncan talent-wise at very best.

Quote Originally Posted by IGOTGAME

btw...I think Duncan comparisons should stop. He is two tiers below Duncan talent-wise at very best.
    I see him as a Brook Lopez type player.

Jahlil plays mostly below the rim....but that's because he's such a huge load.

In terms of mass, he's going to be one of the biggest NBA players his rookie year. His agility, footwork, and body control at that size tell me he's a great athlete, even if he's not going to jump out of the building or run the floor like a gazelle.

and yes, there are times where he finesses it around the rim where another big man would have just dunked. I'm ok with that. He has huge hands so he easily controls the ball and puts all kinds of nice spin on it.

When I watch him play I see shades of Tim Duncan (on offense), Al Jefferson, and Nene. He's not quite the athlete Nene is, but they both have strong upper and lower bodies, aren't leapers, and have GREAT balance.

Was Duncan this good as a freshman? I honestly have no idea.
    Last edited by ralph_i_el; 01-29-2015 at 11:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ralph_i_el
    Jahlil plays mostly below the rim....but that's because he's such a huge load.

In terms of mass, he's going to be one of the biggest NBA players his rookie year. His agility, footwork, and body control at that size tell me he's a great athlete, even if he's not going to jump out of the building or run the floor like a gazelle.

and yes, there are times where he finesses it around the rim where another big man would have just dunked. I'm ok with that. He has huge hands so he easily controls the ball and puts all kinds of nice spin on it.

When I watch him play I see shades of Tim Duncan (on offense), Al Jefferson, and Nene. He's not quite the athlete Nene is, but they both have strong upper and lower bodies, aren't leapers, and have GREAT balance.

Was Duncan this good as a freshman? I honestly have no idea.
    Its not even really relevant to the discussion because Okafor just doesn't have the physical tools that Tim Duncan has. He doesn't have the talent to improve like a Tim Duncan.

Tim Duncan had a lot more tools to work with on the basketball court than Okafor.

NBA lottery pick

Quote Originally Posted by UK2K
    I see him as a Brook Lopez type player.
    Have you seen Okafor run down the court?

He moves 3x better than Lopez.

Awful comparison.

He's C Webb. Yes he's a good passer.

And in regards to defense, I think it all depends on what team he's drafted too. Someone's has to coach him up on that end

Its not even really relevant to the discussion because Okafor just doesn't have the physical tools that Tim Duncan has. He doesn't have the talent to improve like a Tim Duncan.

Tim Duncan had a lot more tools to work with on the basketball court than Okafor.
    How about being less vague? Jahlil is a wider dude and has a 7'5" wingspan.
    Last edited by ralph_i_el; 01-30-2015 at 12:06 AM.