NBA rookie of the year

Default True or False: subjective accomplishments are less impressive than objective ones

True or False: subjective talent is less impressive than objective talent

Also that the more subjective something is the less obviously impressive it is.

Eg. Kanye thinks that it is obvious that Beyonce is objectively superior to Beck.

Personally I think all art forms are inherently subjective and thus impossible to conclusively say whether it is superior or inferior to other forms of art. Whereas you can easily say Usain bolt is the fastest runner in the world. Or that 2+2 =4 and not 5.

Eg. you couldnt say that american culture was superior to japanese culture when Perry's ships rolled up into tokyo bay, but its obvious that america military technology was far superior.

Default Re: True or False: subjective accomplishments are less impressive than objective ones

Quote Originally Posted by MavsSuperFan
    True or False: subjective talent is less impressive than objective talent

Also that the more subjective something is the less obviously impressive it is.

Eg. Kanye thinks that it is obvious that Beyonce is objectively superior to Beck.

Personally I think all art forms are inherently subjective and thus impossible to conclusively say whether it is superior or inferior to other forms of art. Whereas you can easily say Usain bolt is the fastest runner in the world. Or that 2+2 =4 and not 5.

Eg. you couldnt say that american culture was superior to japanese culture when Perry's ships rolled up into tokyo bay, but its obvious that america military technology was far superior.
    why couldn't you say that?

Default Re: True or False: subjective accomplishments are less impressive than objective ones

Care to name any objective accomplishments? Very few things in the life are objective, least not accomplishments, meaning or anything like that.

This thread is incredibly foolish. All achievements are subjective, because their value is determined by the subjective valuations that are needed for them to be considered worthy achievements. A man must hold the 'objective' achievement of having the smallest ***** in existence, but that doesn't make it impressive, and certainly not more so than the 'subjective' achievements that have reaped widespread benefits for many.

And no, i don't think a Usain Bolt is more impressive than an Einstein or a Shakespeare: only a primitive would think such a thing.

NBA rookie of the year

Quote Originally Posted by Dresta
    This thread is incredibly foolish. All achievements are subjective, because their value is determined by the subjective valuations that are needed for them to be considered worthy achievements. A man must hold the 'objective' achievement of having the smallest ***** in existence, but that doesn't make it impressive, and certainly not more so than the 'subjective' achievements that have reaped widespread benefits for many.

And no, i don't think a Usain Bolt is more impressive than an Einstein or a Shakespeare: only a primitive would think such a thing.
    Varying levels of subjectivity though. somethings are more subjective than others.

Eg. which album was better beyonce's or beck's, is much more subjective than who is the fastest 100m runner.

Einstein's accomplishments in the field of science are objectively impressive.

You only consider shakespeare superior because his art form appeals to you. there is no reason, beyond personal preference to consider his work superior to say tyler perry.

Personally I dont enjoy rap music (in general), but I wouldnt argue its inferior to music i like, since i recognize its just a personal preference.

No matter how much I hate lebron i cant argue that he isnt objectively great at basketball.
    Last edited by MavsSuperFan; 02-11-2015 at 04:01 PM.

NBA rookie of the year

Quote Originally Posted by Nowitness
    Care to name any objective accomplishments? Very few things in the life are objective, least not accomplishments, meaning or anything like that.
    i meant certain accomplishments are less subjective. Everything is on a spectrum. Reaching the moon was a very objectively impressive accomplishment. Writing a popular song is a much more subjective accomplishment.

NBA rookie of the year

Quote Originally Posted by NumberSix
    why couldn't you say that?
    Because i consider that almost completely subjective.

both the US and Japan in that era had various pros to their cultures and various cons. Whereas you can easily see american military technology was superior

One is arguable, the other is inarguable
    Last edited by MavsSuperFan; 02-11-2015 at 04:05 PM.

Because i consider that almost completely subjective.

both the US and Japan in that era had various pros to their cultures and various cons. Whereas you can easily see american military technology was superior

One is arguable, the other is inarguable
    So what's better? American culture or Saudi culture?

Too subjective? Impossible to judge?

Varying levels of subjectivity though. somethings are more subjective than others.

Eg. which album was better beyonce's or beck's, is much more subjective than who is the fastest 100m runner.

Einstein's accomplishments in the field of science are objectively impressive.

You only consider shakespeare superior because his art form appeals to you. there is no reason, beyond personal preference to consider his work superior to say tyler perry.

Personally I dont enjoy rap music (in general), but I wouldnt argue its inferior to music i like, since i recognize its just a personal preference.

No matter how much I hate lebron i cant argue that he isnt objectively great at basketball.
    No, they aren't. You don't have the slightest clue what you're babbling about.

i meant certain accomplishments are less subjective. Everything is on a spectrum. Reaching the moon was a very objectively impressive accomplishment. Writing a popular song is a much more subjective accomplishment.
    No it wasn't.

And no, everything is not 'on a spectrum' - an accomplishment has to be valued, and any valuation is entirely subjective (because only an individual can make them, and science cannot make value judgements). Lots of people don't give a shit about the moon landing, and would prefer the money have been spent on something else - so how exactly can it be 'objectively impressive.'

Honestly, the simple-mindedness of some people AMAZES me.

Quote Originally Posted by NumberSix
    So what's better? American culture or Saudi culture?

Too subjective? Impossible to judge?
    You cannot objectively say whether is one is better than the other, only that American culture is better at achieving certain things, and Saudi culture better at achieving other things (things most Americans don't value, sure, but many Saudi's do, as it's a nation of fanatics).

What one you value more comes down entirely to personal preference (or taste), though i don't personally have a great deal of respect for either at the moment.