Default George Gervin / Rick Barry Defense

Can I get anything on their defense by posters who know about it? And please none of the "back in my day" phenomenon, only if warranted!

Default Re: George Gervin / Rick Barry Defense

I believe there's more footage out there with the Iceman than with Rick, and I've most likely seen more from Gervin. Plus, I only scarcely remember watching Gervin play, as a kid growing up; I wasn't alive to watch Barry.

With that said, and from what I've seen...

Gervin was a nice off-ball defender (one of the greatest shot-blocking SG's too) but, apart from sometimes troubling his matchup using length and athleticism, he was average when it came to guarding his man.

Rick always seemed like an extremely smart player on both ends, and he was great at playing the passing lanes and at creating TO's (I believe he actually led the league in steals once), his team D always looked good too, although I think he was never known for his on-ball defense, it seemed like he was pretty solid but I can't say much more...

Quote Originally Posted by SHAQisGOAT
    I believe there's more footage out there with the Iceman than with Rick, and I've most likely seen more from Gervin. Plus, I only scarcely remember watching Gervin play, as a kid growing up; I wasn't alive to watch Barry.

With that said, and from what I've seen...

Gervin was a nice off-ball defender (one of the greatest shot-blocking SG's too) but, apart from sometimes troubling his matchup using length and athleticism, he was average when it came to guarding his man.

Rick always seemed like an extremely smart player on both ends, and he was great at playing the passing lanes and at creating TO's (I believe he actually led the league in steals once), his team D always looked good too, although I think he was never known for his on-ball defense, it seemed like he was pretty solid but I can't say much more...

So Rick, from your view, made more of a difference on that end.. good to know since I think they're in similar tiers, and the Gervin Spurs never got over the hump to winning the title, but did win a bunch of Divison titles on his scoring ability.

Quote Originally Posted by ArbitraryWater

So Rick, from your view, made more of a difference on that end.. good to know since I think they're in similar tiers, and the Gervin Spurs never got over the hump to winning the title, but did win a bunch of Divison titles on his scoring ability.
    Just remember, young blood, that even though Gervin didn't win a title, he won "a lot of divisional crowwwwwns."

Quote Originally Posted by T_L_P
    Just remember, young blood, that even though Gervin didn't win a title, he won "a lot of divisional crowwwwwns."
    I don't get it but you can teach me anytime

I don't get it but you can teach me anytime
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b8BLoIEwBOo

Quote Originally Posted by T_L_P
    "crauuns" never heard it before lmao

Can I get anything on their defense by posters who know about it? And please none of the "back in my day" phenomenon, only if warranted!
    I didn't see Barry live, so I won't comment there.

I did see a lot of Gervin. Defensively, he was pretty much a none factor, and I'm being kind. He seemed disinterested, defensively, and the Spurs gave up a lot of points in the more wide open Western Conference in the early 80s.

Offensively, he was the best non-center scorer I've ever seen until Jordan came along. He had every shot in the book.

What about Elgin Baylor?

What about Elgin Baylor?
    Baylor was the most athletic perimeter player in the league in his heyday. He was an exceptional defender. GOAT made an All Defensive Team list before they officially began, an he regularly made the 1st Teams until he shattered his knee.

Quote Originally Posted by L.Kizzle
    Baylor was the most athletic perimeter player in the league in his heyday. He was an exceptional defender. GOAT made an All Defensive Team list before they officially began, an he regularly made the 1st Teams until he shattered his knee.
    So, perhaps about Havlicek level? Bit below, but same tier?

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.J4ever
    I didn't see Barry live, so I won't comment there.

I did see a lot of Gervin. Defensively, he was pretty much a none factor, and I'm being kind. He seemed disinterested, defensively, and the Spurs gave up a lot of points in the more wide open Western Conference in the early 80s.

Offensively, he was the best non-center scorer I've ever seen until Jordan came along. He had every shot in the book.
    None factor is clearly too much of a stretch... He's up there on the all-time shotblocking SG's list, and he could also get around 1.5 steals per game, plus he could use his length/athleticism well.

Those Spurs were 7th in DRtg, in the regular-season, in the year they almost got to the Finals. During those days, they were only bottom barrel in terms of defense in 1979-80, but they managed to bounce back to top15 in the following 3 seasons.
    Not like their defense was absolutely terrible or worst in the league, for the most part during those best Iceman's years... And they didn't have much defensive help alongside Gervin neither (not calling him their best defender or something like that though).

But yea, he was never even what you call a solid defensive player.

Dude's underrated these days though, he had plenty of impact and he's one of the best scorers ever able to maintain/raise his level during the Playoffs, where he had success and almost led a - not what you call good - team to the Finals once.

Quote Originally Posted by L.Kizzle
    Wasn't Gus Johnson more athletic (only entered in 1964 though)?

So, perhaps about Havlicek level? Bit below, but same tier?
    Never seen no one say Baylor was in Hondo's level on defense, Havlicek is one of the very best defensive SF's ever... Can't speak all that much about Elgin's D but I've never had him on someone like John's level...

Never seen no one say Baylor was in Hondo's level on defense, Havlicek is one of the very best defensive SF's ever... Can't speak all that much about Elgin's D but I've never had him on someone like John's level...
    True, went overboard there... Havlicek is mentioned among the GOAT perimeter (more so SF's) defenders, really.

I think Baylor tore his knee around the time Gus came in the league. Gus took his spot like Baylor came in after Stokes.

And I'd say you're right about Baylor. He wasn't Havlicek level defensively but few were.