3-time NBA All-Star

Default This extended all-star break sucks

Just sayin.

I Rep the Thunder! Thunderfan86's Avatar

Default Re: This extended all-star break sucks

Yeah, this kinda sucks

An uglier Lamar Doom boozehound's Avatar

Im with you. I am not that in to the ASG weekend anyways. Now it will be 9-10 days between most teams games? and the trade deadline happens in the dull period? meh

with God-given ass JimmyMcAdocious's Avatar

The players are probably enjoying the time off.

I rule the local playground dubnation's Avatar

yeah it sucks now, but I'm glad for it because guys should come back pretty damn fresh after 9-10 days off

Quote Originally Posted by dubnation
    yeah it sucks now, but I'm glad for it because guys should come back pretty damn fresh after 9-10 days off
    they get a longer break, but have to play more "4 games in 5 days" schedules. those games have to be made up somewhere.

NBA lottery pick

Its cool, UNC @ Duke tomorrow

It's ok. Let the players rest and spend time with their families or whatever.

Banned

I actually think this is a terrible idea for the NBA. It loses all of its momentum after the casual fans watch the ASG, they should come right back with games the next day tbh. show premier games when interest is peaked for the casual fan on ABC primetime Monday night, i.e. Cleveland vs OKC, if ESPN/Disney/ABC really cared about taking the game to new levels. But it wouldn't get the same ratings as whatever the hell else is on ABC on monday night, so it's not worth it for them

NBA lottery pick

Quote Originally Posted by Joyner82reload
    I actually think this is a terrible idea for the NBA. It loses all of its momentum after the casual fans watch the ASG, they should come right back with games the next day tbh. show premier games when interest is peaked for the casual fan on ABC primetime Monday night, i.e. Cleveland vs OKC, if ESPN/Disney/ABC really cared about taking the game to new levels. But it wouldn't get the same ratings as whatever the hell else is on ABC on monday night, so it's not worth it for them
    The players would never negotiate to that.

Surprise no one got in trouble yet.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by christian1923
    The players would never negotiate to that.
    Players care about money over all else, if it would increase revenue they would be all for it. The only reason they care about breaks right now is because it doesn't have an effect on their income(or at least they don't believe that it does).

A prolonged season absolutely decreases revenue IMO as it takes a longer commitment from fans, and the fact of the matter is that a percentage of the NBA's fanbase prefer baseball/football more than the league. And when those leagues are playing i.e. fall and late spring, basketball becomes less relevant.

The league should condense its schedule from December-April if it wanted to maximize interest. The playoffs should happen during MLB spring training, instead it's forced to compete with the heart of the NFL draft/middle of the MLB season.

Hell if the players could make 25% more, they would have no problem playing back to back to backs and 4 games in 6 days.

NBA lottery pick

Players care about money over all else, if it would increase revenue they would be all for it. The only reason they care about breaks right now is because it doesn't have an effect on their income(or at least they don't believe that it does).

A prolonged season absolutely decreases revenue IMO as it takes a longer commitment from fans, and the fact of the matter is that a percentage of the NBA's fanbase prefer baseball/football more than the league. And when those leagues are playing i.e. fall and late spring, basketball becomes less relevant.

The league should condense its schedule from December-April if it wanted to maximize interest. The playoffs should happen during MLB spring training, instead it's forced to compete with the heart of the NFL draft/middle of the MLB season.

Hell if the players could make 25% more, they would have no problem playing back to back to backs and 4 games in 6 days.
    How would they make more money by selling less tickets and having fewer games shown on TV?

Thats a huge risk

shhhhhhh

TV contracts generate the money.. not the fans buying tickets and going to games. gate receipts are decent money but it's almost paltry compared to the billions TV generates and the TV money is already set in place for the next few years... any reduction in games now or the schedule being modified equals less money for the players and teams and that's not going to happen

I'm pretty sure if the NBA was losing money over the extended break... there wouldn't be a break. Silver and co surely did the math and the analysis.

Anyway, it's nice to let the players heal and rest up. Lots of banged up players, hopefully they come back closer to 100% with this break.