Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Default Re: 60s NBA vs Current Euroleague

I'm sure Wilt will find a way to choke in the big games.

Local High School Star

People just think 60's players are scrubs because they watch old highlight reels and their handles look suspect, not realizing that if 60's dribbling violations were enforced today, every possession somebody would get called for palming.

Its like casual tennis fans watching a Laver vs. Rosewall match on ESPN Classic and scoffing at the lack of power the old players possessed on their serves and groundstrokes, disregarding the seismic changes made in racquet technology. I mean, a guy like McEnroe, playing with the modern graphite racquets and poly strings, actually serves faster today, at 55, than he did in prime! Pretty remarkable.

Anyways, a little off topic but Im just pointing out how modern day fans of virtually all sports like to ignore context.

RMOR, you vacillate between being a quality poster and being a troll. What's with you mang?

Top 1 Bball Mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Marchesk
    Sure, doesn't change the fact that Nash would not win an MVP in the 60s, and Love would not be one of the elite bigs.

Lebron and Kobe are different matter, of course.
    Do you consider Jerry Lucas an elite big?

Top 1 Bball Mind.

Nash and love definitely do have games more suited to the 3pt line era...but they would still have been great players in the 60s

Quote Originally Posted by RoundMoundOfReb
    Do you consider Jerry Lucas an elite big?
    I don't know. I'm fine with Love and Nash being all-stars back then. I mean who knows, what teams do they get put on and what's their role?

Thing is that Cousy and Jones were HOFers winning a bunch of rings, but Russell got the MVPs (when Wilt wasn't).

Top 1 Bball Mind.

Quote Originally Posted by LAZERUSS
    Do they dominate in the 60's?

Are you going tell me with a straight face that Bogut is going to lead the NBA in bpg? That Love is going to lead the NBA in rpg? That Nash is going to play 45 mpg and lead the NBA in apg? That Rubio is somehow going to be a better shooter than the joke that he is today?

Do you think the 6-5 220 lb Oscar would struggle against either Rubio, or Nash? How about the 6-4 Walt Frazier, or 6-5 Pistol Pete? Keep in mind that that was their bare-foot height, as well (I believe Oscar was a shade under 6-5.)

Do you think Bogut is going to be a force against Thurmond, Russell, or Wilt?

That Love is going to outrebound Gus Johnson or Jerry Lucas, much less guys like Russell, Thurmond, or Wilt?

CP vs West?

Rubio vs. Maravich?

Cousins vs. Wilt?

Love vs Lucas?

Nash vs. Oscar?

Bogut vs, Thurmond?

Hell, let's throw Kareem in there as well, since he came into the NBA in 1969.

Any center today vs. Kareem?

Yep...the players of today would just slaughter those guys, right?

You're comparing an average PG today - Ricky Rubio to one of the best guards of his era in Pistol Pete and you're asking me why the 60s were a weak era?

I've already said many times the best of the best big men in the 60s: Wilt, Russell, etc. would all be great players today. The guard play and the average player in general was much worse.

Top 1 Bball Mind.

I don't know. I'm fine with Love and Nash being all-stars back then. I mean who knows, what teams do they get put on and what's their role?

Thing is that Cousy and Jones were HOFers winning a bunch of rings, but Russell was splitting the MVP with Wilt.
    If Cousy is a HOFer in that era - so is Nash...easily.

Quote Originally Posted by Asukal
    I'm sure Wilt will find a way to choke in the big games.
    Yeah...probably only going to routinely hang 30-27-5-8 games on today's Euroleague players, like he did on guys like Russell in the post-season, instead of the 40-25-5-8 games that he would have in his regular seasons.

And yes, Wilt would probably hang 40-50+ point games in his biggest playoff games, just like he did against his peers in the 60's, as well. But let's get real here, so what? MJ had his highest scoring playoff game in a loss, too, and in fact, he led his team down the toilet in a sweeping loss, too.

That was the kind of "choker" that Chamberlain was in the 60's.

Can you imagine THAT Wilt having to battle the studs from the Euroleague?

I could beat up Cousy with my bare hands

I'd make Cousy go snoozy.

Sure, doesn't change the fact that Nash would not win an MVP in the 60s, and Love would not be one of the elite bigs.

Lebron and Kobe are different matter, of course.
    Nash's assists would be something like 20 per game, considering the pace. So yeah he'd be an MVP candidate in the 60s.

You're comparing an average PG today - Ricky Rubio to one of the best guards of his era in Pistol Pete and you're asking me why the 60s were a weak era?

I've already said many times the best of the best big men in the 60s: Wilt, Russell, etc. would all be great players today. The guard play and the average player in general was much worse.
    NO ONE, at the time, claimed that Maravich was even remotely in West's, Oscar's, or even Frazier's class. And don't forget that Tiny Archibald was putting up 34-11 seasons in the 70's, and in the same league that had Oscar, West, Goodrich, Maravich, Frazier, Monroe, etc...

If you are trying to tell me that Rubio was even a fraction of the player that all of the above were, you are a complete joke.

If Cousy is a HOFer in that era - so is Nash...easily.
    I'm fine with that. Both are all-time greats.

As to the average 60s player, particularly the guards, I can't answer to that. I do believe there is some improvement in level of play over time as the population expands and the game becomes more popular with better technology to support player development. And you have players learning from the previous generation at a young age, which copied the generation before it and so forth.

Top 1 Bball Mind.

Quote Originally Posted by LAZERUSS
    NO ONE, at the time, claimed that Maravich was even remotely in West's, Oscar's, or even Frazier's class. And don't forget that Tiny Archibald was putting up 34-11 seasons in the 70's, and in the same league that had Oscar, West, Goodrich, Maravich, Frazier, Monroe, etc...

If you are trying to tell me that Rubio was even a fraction of the player that all of the above were, you are a complete joke.
    Where did I say that? I simply pointed out that you're comparing one of the most celebrated players of his era to Ricky freaking Rubio...who might not even be a top 15 PG right now.

Quote Originally Posted by deja vu
    Nash's assists would be something like 20 per game, considering the pace. So yeah he'd be an MVP candidate in the 60s.
    I don't know about that. Assists are the one stat that isn't really infated by pace back then, because the rules were stricter in what counted as an assist. Someone would need to post the league or team average assist number. It has been posted on here before, and it's not a much different than today, if I remember correctly.