Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Xiao Yao You's Avatar

Default Re: Since Gobert was inserted into the Jazz starting lineup, they have been 11-2.

Quote Originally Posted by CakeorDeath
    Exum is NBA quality on the strength of his defense alone. As good as Gobert is, Exum's ability to stay in front of his man, cut down penetration, and use his length to get a hand in the face of outside shooters has had a big impact on the Jazz's defensive improvement. A big upgrade over Trey.
    An upgrade over Trey isn't saying much. Trey hasn't shown he's an NBAer yet and until Exum can consistently hit an open 3 at least(which he has done recently) he shouldn't be in the rotation either.

The only change to the starting 5 next year should be Alec Burks replacing Ingles.
    Unless Exum can hit an open 3 he shouldn't be starting or playing. Hood could make sense with Burks off the bench. I'm sure they'll try to make it work with Alec's new deal but I'm not sure him and Hayward are a good match in the starting 5 and Alec has to step it up. Hopefully it was just his shoulder bugging him.

That 5 should be scary good defensively and much better offensively than they are with Ingles, if for no bigger reason than the fact that they'll be better in transition.
    And Ingles isn't a rotation player either unless he can hit the 3.

They do need another PG (Trey isnt in the long term picture, IMO), another swingman, and a backup C. Here next year should be Exum, Burks, Hayward, Favors, Gobert, Hood, Booker, and 3 vets to fill the positions I mentioned. That's the core rotation.
    Millsap and Ingles could play but they got to hit open 3's too. Millsap is certainly comparable to Exum defensively and even Ingles can cause some problems.

Maybe the backup PG is Neto, but he sure doesn't look ready. Too small to defend at the NBA level and can't shoot a lick. Reasonable playmaking skills though.
    Neto is better than Burke and a better fit though. Looked good defensively in the World's. Needs to be able to hit 3's as well.

Tomic might be a serviceable back up C but I don't think he'll ever come over
    Sounds like the Jazz want him and are ready to spend money on his buyout. Rather he wants to play 15-20 minutes a night who knows. Lindsey didn't act like Pleiss was ready. Love to see Koufos back.

No one should be given minutes next year. They need to be earned.

Default Re: Since Gobert was inserted into the Jazz starting lineup, they have been 11-2.

When was he inserted into the lineup? Date?

Because in their last 13 games they are 10-3.

14 rpg 3 bpg in 33.7 mpg during this stretch no less..

GOATbert

too bad he has a team option

Dunking on everybody in the park

Rudy Gobert has a defensive rating of 92 as a starter. That's impressive.

Dunking on everybody in the park

Rudy Gobert has actually started their last 11 games, not 13, and the Jazz are 9-2 over that time with impressive wins on the road at Memphis and at home against Portland, SA and Houston.

He was inserted into the starting line-up on 2/20 against Portland, at least according to Basketball Reference.com,and that was eleven games ago.
    Last edited by SOD 21; 03-14-2015 at 11:32 AM.

Banned

An upgrade over Trey isn't saying much. Trey hasn't shown he's an NBAer yet and until Exum can consistently hit an open 3 at least(which he has done recently) he shouldn't be in the rotation either.
    You don't need lots of shooters to make an elite NBA team. Sloan proved this twice by having two of the 25 best offenses ever that shot almost no threes almost a decade apart.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Xiao Yao You's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by magnax1
    You don't need lots of shooters to make an elite NBA team. Sloan proved this twice by having two of the 25 best offenses ever that shot almost no threes almost a decade apart.
    But they are playing a system where they want 3's and lay-ups not mid range stuff. Sloan wanted lay-ups and mid range shots. He never liked the 3. He never adapted to the changing game either especially defensively. Need guys that can hit open 3's in the system they are playing. The game has changed. Not necessarily for the better. Also this team doesn't have 2 of the greatest players ever. Maybe one though!

NBA Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by Milbuck
    How you could you forget......Bloque Cousteau
    Haha. Bloque Cousteau may be my new frontrunner.

10 points, 17 rebounds, 2 blocks against the Pistons so far. I might be a new fan.

College superstar

one of my favorite players already. his game is legit

Decent playground baller ButterFace's Avatar

Another beastly game and a win.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Fudge's Avatar

Best Jazz player right now and it's not even close.

Don't give me that Hayward noise. He is still a little boy. Just look at his hair.

Gobert to the Lakers

Gobe
    Kobe

Next Shaq and Kobe

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Xiao Yao You
    But they are playing a system where they want 3's and lay-ups not mid range stuff. Sloan wanted lay-ups and mid range shots. He never liked the 3. He never adapted to the changing game either especially defensively. Need guys that can hit open 3's in the system they are playing. The game has changed. Not necessarily for the better. Also this team doesn't have 2 of the greatest players ever. Maybe one though!
    The team in 08 ran an offense that was that high of a caliber with boozer and Deron at its center. They just dont need outside shooters. This team has the pieces to play inside out, just like all great offenses do.

Jazz will probably finish the season around .500. In 2015/2016 we gonna have yet another up and coming team fighting for the playoffs?

West is getting stronger and stronger. How is this possible?!

Local High School Star CakeorDeath's Avatar

Exum playing well; defense has been very good and he is 50% on his last 20 three point attempts. Game seems to be coming to him a bit more.

Hood also impressing. Better lateral movement on both sides of the ball than I thought. Clearly been working on his mid range game and obviously doesn't want to be known just as a distance shooter. I think next year they should keep him as a starter and let Alec Burks be the scoring punch off the bench. That's Trey's job this year but I think Trey is moved in the offseason for more veteran help/cap flexibility.

In terms of offseason needs, I hope the Jazz go after Asik and either Wes Matthews or Danny Green. They need another PG too, though I don't like any of the free agent PGs as the right fit, so maybe that comes through a trade. I love Rondo's defense and playmaking, and if he could be a mentor to Exum that would be phenomenal, but that guy is a dick. Would never sign in Utah anyway