Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Default Re: Kendrick Lamar - To Pimp a Buttlefly album is out. it's Alright...

Quote Originally Posted by ace23
    Not really feeling this.

Tin Wooki (best rap album of 2014) >>>
    Never heard of that album. Listening now. First track is so Earl-esque

Quote Originally Posted by TylerOO
    Never heard of that album. Listening now. First track is so Earl-esque
    He's definitely influenced by Earl, but has a lot more depth lyrically and better production in my opinion.

Dunking on everybody in the park The Iron Sheik's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Smoke117
    Rap and Hipiity Hoppity. The ghetto and slum of music.

Also...if you want to say I'm being "racist"...Sam Cooke is my favorite singer of all time and I'm a half honkie half beaner.. Rap and hip hop for the most part is garbage. That is just a fact.
    i sincerely hope you're just playing a character online. there's no way you're this unhappy in real life and haven't killed yourself

He's definitely influenced by Earl, but has a lot more depth lyrically and better production in my opinion.
    I posted that before the first track where he actually spits. That instrumental to open the album reminded me exactly of an Earl beat.

Quote Originally Posted by TylerOO
    I posted that before the first track where he actually spits. That instrumental to open the album reminded me exactly of an Earl beat.
    Yeah lol

Quote Originally Posted by imnew09
    GTFO, drake straight out sucks. Sure, he knows how to make hits, but he sucks.

Cole's mixtape and his Forrest Hill album were fire!
    Great argument, straight out subjective.

soundcloud.com/agua-1 andgar923's Avatar

Not really feeling this.

Tin Wooki (best rap album of 2014) >>>
    It was nice, but can't listen to his delivery/style for more than a few tracks at a time. Also reminds me of MF Doom a little too much for my liking (was never a big fan). I do like the production on it, a bit more atmospheric than what I was expecting (but in a good way).

Props for the recommendation tho.

I'm listening for the first time now. Currently on i, so one song left. I wasn't really feeling the first 6 or so songs, but from song 7 onwards, I quite like it. I'm conflicted on The Blacker the Berry. I like the production and the subject matter but I don't like the flow. It sounds like he's trying to cram too many syllables.

So, 1st listen it didn't really catch me. I liked a few tracks, maybe 3. Gave it another run and it grew on me big time. Production actually sounds like an updated 90s westcoast vibe to me. Don't know how many of you were around during that era but the g-funk and banger shit is evident. A call back to the old days lol. Lyrically he's a beast and he tackled some black community issues without being too heavy handed in writing it. Someone said earlier in the thread the 2nd half is the where it picks up and I agree 100%. Don't want to get ahead of myself saying classic at all but it's definitely in rotation now.

Side note: was really feeling Cole's last one but I think this one will be heavier in rotation for myself. Both dope mcs though, the game is in good hands again.

NBA Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by sdot_thadon
    So, 1st listen it didn't really catch me. I liked a few tracks, maybe 3. Gave it another run and it grew on me big time. Production actually sounds like an updated 90s westcoast vibe to me. Don't know how many of you were around during that era but the g-funk and banger shit is evident. A call back to the old days lol. Lyrically he's a beast and he tackled some black community issues without being too heavy handed in writing it. Someone said earlier in the thread the 2nd half is the where it picks up and I agree 100%. Don't want to get ahead of myself saying classic at all but it's definitely in rotation now.

Side note: was really feeling Cole's last one but I think this one will be heavier in rotation for myself. Both dope mcs though, the game is in good hands again.
    I usually operate months/years behind new movie and album releases so I just now gave this album a shot and the bolded echoes some of my initial thoughts, right on down to the "King Kunta" music video. It's certainly not a re-tread or anything close, but there's just enough West Coast G-Funk DNA to get me feeling nostalgic while also experiencing something unique and fresh.

I haven't made it through the entire album yet but it's certainly interesting so far. Historically, Kendrick Lamar hasn't been someone that hits me dead in the face upon first listen, but Good Kid, Mad City grew on me upon repeated listens. I trust this may be similar in that regard. I respect the angle he's taken here. Some of it almost feels like The Love Below.

Album is a masterpiece, tbh.

Quote Originally Posted by T_L_P
    Nah. Had the bars been better it would have been. The production, meaning, sound quality are all there. But i feel he was so focused on the message and telling a story so much he didnt get the lyrics to his full potential.

Quote Originally Posted by navy
    Nah. Had the bars been better it would have been. The production, meaning, sound quality are all there. But i feel he was so focused on the message and telling a story so much he didnt get the lyrics to his full potential.
    Hmmm, I'd disagree. I think the lyrics fit in with the theme of the album. Like you said, the production, meaning, sound quality is all there. I think there lyrics in this instance should just be bringing home whatever points Kendrick is making; I'm not particularly interested in skilled MCeeing here (whereas I would be with a rap album by another artist).

Aside from King Kunta and Institutionalized, I'd honestly have to say every song on this album is great. The use of jazz and funk is great. The poem leading into each song is incredible. The ideas he tackles in U alone.

I didn't like this album at first but, as with most great things, it took me a long time to realize its genius. I think Kendrick is on a different level, tbh (the J. Cole comparisons in this thread are mind-boggling to me, and I've been a fan of his since The Warm Up).

EDIT: though I do see your point. Kendrick's lyrics aren't particularly complex in the second half of the album.
    Last edited by T_L_P; 07-23-2015 at 06:59 PM.

This. My favorite hip-hop album of the 2010's.

Hmmm, I'd disagree. I think the lyrics fit in with the theme of the album. Like you said, the production, meaning, sound quality is all there. I think there lyrics in this instance should just be bringing home whatever points Kendrick is making; I'm not particularly interested in skilled MCeeing here (whereas I would be with a rap album by another artist).

Aside from King Kunta and Institutionalized, I'd honestly have to say every song on this album is great. The use of jazz and funk is great. The poem leading into each song is incredible. The ideas he tackles in U alone.

I didn't like this album at first but, as with most great things, it took me a long time to realize its genius. I think Kendrick is on a different level, tbh (the J. Cole comparisons in this thread are mind-boggling to me, and I've been a fan of his since The Warm Up).

EDIT: though I do see your point. Kendrick's lyrics aren't particularly complex in the second half of the album.
    Yeah the lyrics fit the theme of the album, but they werent Kendricks best or notable to be honest. I enjoyed the album more when I took it for what it was and not what I wanted it to be.

Hmm...I think Cole's best album was his first one. I went back and listened to it and that shit was legit lyrically and musically. didnt like born sinner. I thought Forest Hill Drive was...too Drake like. A mixture of different flows, singing, and stuff that just isnt him. Needed to come with the bars like his mixtapes.

Anyways Cole is more consistent at rapping than Kendrick is imo. Kendrick has 1 extra gear that few can match.