Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Serious playground baller Donkey4trading's Avatar

Default How many rings does Pop win if he coached Jordan, Pippen, Kobe & Shaq?

all in their primes...

Future NBA G.O.A.T inclinerator's Avatar

Default Re: How many rings does Pop win if he coached Jordan, Pippen, Kobe & Shaq?

10+

Default Re: How many rings does Pop win if he coached Jordan, Pippen, Kobe & Shaq?

Quote Originally Posted by inclinerator
    10+
    I agree.

Good college starter NZStreetBaller's Avatar

the whole system would crumble you've got 3 alpha males who want to be the man. and pop is all about being a team and no egos.

MJ and Kobe alone would just fight over the ball lol.

EDIT:Shaq and Pippen wouldnt even touch the ball lol

Serious playground baller Donkey4trading's Avatar

I meant if he coached those two duos

sorry for not clarifying

Pop couldn't even manage stephen jackson, you really think he could've handled shaq and kobe?

Decent playground baller

Are we talking all on 1 team, or just in Phil's place?

15x all nba legend TheMarkMadsen's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Siemens
    Are we talking all on 1 team, or just in Phil's place?
    Essentially in Phil's place I would assume

I say about 6-8, in my opinion.

His biggest problem would be managing egos.

Banned

All 6 with Jordan and Pippen.

Possibly 6-peat with Shaq and Kobe, 2000-05 straight. Depends on how the Spurs will be without Pops.

Quote Originally Posted by MEB2kDeez
    I say about 6-8, in my opinion.

His biggest problem would be managing egos.
    Pop's strength is not in managing egos. Spurs deliberately recruit players who have gotten over themselves (and have no ego issues). He is a father figure type and doesn't cater to players' egos - nothing like Phil and his zen philosophy. I'm not sure he'd do well with Shaq/Kobe. The reason he has so much control in SA is because Duncan allowed it (in his prime). If it came to a choice between super-star players and a coach, the coach is gonna lose every time.

Dunking on everybody in the park

Depends on where he coaches them. Kobe ain't winning anything if he isn't playing for Lakers/Bulls or Knicks and David Sterns has to be the commissioner.

Quote Originally Posted by inclinerator
    10+
    end thread.

Not sure how Pop would deal with the big personalities on those teams.

I mean, guys like Rodman and Artest are not guys Pop encourages to play for his Spurs teams, assuming he's coaching the teams those guys played on too...

Jordan could be quite selfish at times, Shaq was known to be lazy with practice etc etc.

Spurs take on guys who buy into their system. Not guys who have infinite ego or behavioural issues.

Quote Originally Posted by poido123
    Not sure how Pop would deal with the big personalities on those teams.

I mean, guys like Rodman and Artest are not guys Pop encourages to play for his Spurs teams, assuming he's coaching the teams those guys played on too...

Jordan could be quite selfish at times, Shaq was known to be lazy with practice etc etc.

Spurs take on guys who buy into their system. Not guys who have infinite ego or behavioural issues.
    The only knucklehead who played for Pop was SJax. It went well the first go around but ended badly with SJax being cut from the team right before the playoffs. But by that time, Pop had built up enough control to do that. Not so early in his career or with super stars like MJ, Shaq and Kobe. He'd lose that battle every time.