jordan > leflop james Paul George 24's Avatar

Default Re: Jordan in the isolation weak era

THIS THREAD JUST OWNED LEFLOP & KOBE'S FAMILY

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by navy
    No gifs?

Disappointed.

Just getting into the gif making racket. I can see the appeal. Some examples of advanced isolation defense from the first video:

^3-2 isolation zone leads to triple team of Jordan at the top of the key and he runs into man waiting in the paint.

^Strong side flood isolation zone, 3 bodies on MJ, forced to pass out.

^1-2-2 (Box and 1) isolation zone. 4 bodies waiting in the paint.

^2-3 hybrid isolation zone leads to triple team.

^4 bodies clog the paint, stopping the drive, no foul. No dice.
    Last edited by DonDadda59; 03-27-2015 at 02:09 PM.

Yeah, he would really suffer in this era where point guards are dominating the game and wing players are also having a free for all. Forget the fact that MJ had to go up against full court body you up D. Or that hand checks were allowed. Or that teams could absolutely murder you when you drove the lane to send a message. You can't even touch anyone in the perimeter these days. And that's exactly why PGs and wing players are dominating the game today. The rules favor them.

All this lame talk about certain zone rules and illegal defense adversely affecting the game is utter garbage. Basketball is basketball. There are some rules that can really affect a perimeter player. Like the ones I mentioned above. All the technical stuff in this paragraph is all gibber gabber bull. It tells me you might not have played the game.

MJ is the GOAT. I know it kills you LeBron fans but that won't change.

Quote Originally Posted by DonDadda59

Just getting into the gif making racket. I can see the appeal. Some examples of advanced isolation defense from the first video:

^3-2 isolation zone leads to triple team of Jordan at the top of the key and he runs into man waiting in the paint.

His own teammates are the ones making the paint clogged

soundcloud.com/agua-1 andgar923's Avatar

What you talking bout? there's NO such thing as double and triple teamed allowed in the isolation Jordan age.

Local High School Star

Quote Originally Posted by ClipperRevival

MJ is the GOAT. I know it kills you LeBron fans but that won't change.

Not really. Which Lebron fan on here is claiming that Lebron is the GOAT besides Dragic/dubeta and all of his alts (who in reality is not a Lebron fan at all, probably just a Kobe fan or some Lebron hater who is trying to throw a bad light on all Lebron fans with his trolling.)

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

The one thing those defenders didn't have though, is evolution. Modern athletes can use evolution so much better than those stone age athletes (should we even call them athletes without the evolution?).

Why is it that majority of the best defenses of all time have occurred post 2001 when Illegal Defense was abolished?

?

andgar killin 'em softly.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

Quote Originally Posted by Im Still Ballin
    Why is it that majority of the best defenses of all time have occurred post 2001 when Illegal Defense was abolished?

?
    I'd argue that defenses didn't get better, rather offensive talent got worse. With the league expanding as much as it did, the talent got spread too thin. Offensive fundamentals are at all time lows in modern era. No one can hit mid range jumpers anymore. It's just 3s or dunk.

Either that or defensive evolution has gone at a faster pace than offensive evolution.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcastic
    The one thing those defenders didn't have though, is evolution. Modern athletes can use evolution so much better than those stone age athletes (should we even call them athletes without the evolution?).
    Are you referring to players from the mid-80's? If so, you are living in a fairy tale world if you think there is a drastic difference between athletes of that era and today. Across the board, is the league more athletic today than back then? Yes. But is it drastic enough where you can't compare eras. No. Mid-80's era is the "modern era" no matter how you slice it. I guess I'm getting old when I grew up watching basketball in the late 80's and thought these guys were the best athletes in the world.

You had freaks like MJ, Kemp, D. Robinson, Larry Nance, Dominique Wilkins, Drexler, etc. The talent pool was amazingly strong in the 80's and it is without the doubt the toughest era in basketball history in terms of dominant teams.

To me, when I think of "old era", I think like the 50's and 60's, when a guy like George Mikan was dominating or when the league only had 8 teams and the game wasn't popular, which meant the talent pool wasn't that strong.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by ralph_i_el
    His own teammates are the ones making the paint clogged
    Scrub ass teammates (and 3-second violation's nonexistence) holding back the GOAT

^More Bulls teammates running multiple traps and Bulls center Patrick Ewing waiting in the paint. With friends like these... amirite?

?
    I'm not a stat geek and not all into analytics. I'm old school and I've played the game for 25+ years so I rely on the eye test before any stat. But what specific stats do you speak of? Do you mean ppg allowed or some more advanced stats? I'm just curious.

Banned

?
    What do you base that statement off of exactly?

What do you base that statement off of exactly?
    Stats