Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Banned

Default Re: Jordan in the isolation weak era

Quote Originally Posted by Im Still Ballin
    Stats
    Be more specific.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Smoke117's Avatar

Saw it was an Andgar thread...saw it was about Jordan...knew it would be horrible stanning. Wasn't disappointed.

jordan > leflop james Paul George 24's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Smoke117
    Saw it was an Andgar thread...saw it was about Jordan...knew it would be horrible stanning. Wasn't disappointed.
    BIRD STANS HATE JORDAN

Quote Originally Posted by Smoke117

Smoke mad af.

You still my nigguh doe.

Local High School Star

Great post sarcastic!

Defenses didn't magically get better from 80's into 90's, offenses became more limited an easier to stop thanks to expansion, salary cap, erosion of fundamentals and the rise in control freak coaches who got the idea that loosing games by scores of 94-86 looked better on paper and to front offices than 120-100! Artificial defense is what I call it! Pat Riley and Mike Fratello ce to mind

Look at the lineups of the teams that were champions in the 80's, the Lakers, Celtics, Pistons and Sixers, hell even teams that didn't win the title like the Bucks, Hawks, Rockets and Mavericks! What did they all have in common? 3 to 5 bonafide offensive options at ALL TIMES on the floor, guys that came off the frigging bench who could take over games for stretches!

Compare that to the 90's and beyond when it was basically duo centered offenses plus role players like the Bulls, Spurs and Lakers, the damn Rockets won the title in 1994 with basically EVERYTHING shouldering on Olajuwon! That didn't win you titles in the 1980's

You want to look at the real difference between the 80's and now? Don't need to look any further than the disparity between the modern East versus West. If you just looked at NUMBERS you would think that the East is better DEFENSIVELY but everyone knows that is not the case and in actuality the East just plays at a lower pace due to the lack of offensive firepower in comparison to West teams and it inflates their defensive numbers. What doesn't get inflated is the raping they've taking at the hands of the West for more than 10+ years and that's were you really see the "artificial" nature of the modern East's supposedly "tougher and better defense"

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Im Still Ballin
    Stats
    You're lucky I can't neg you for a while you coward.

Quote Originally Posted by DonDadda59
    You're lucky I can't neg you for a while you coward.

I got him for you, bruh.

Quote Originally Posted by Showtime80'
    Great post sarcastic!

Defenses didn't magically get better from 80's into 90's, offenses became more limited an easier to stop thanks to expansion, salary cap, erosion of fundamentals and the rise in control freak coaches who got the idea that loosing games by scores of 94-86 looked better on paper and to front offices than 120-100! Artificial defense is what I call it! Pat Riley and Mike Fratello ce to mind

Look at the lineups of the teams that were champions in the 80's, the Lakers, Celtics, Pistons and Sixers, hell even teams that didn't win the title like the Bucks, Hawks, Rockets and Mavericks! What did they all have in common? 3 to 5 bonafide offensive options at ALL TIMES on the floor, guys that came off the frigging bench who could take over games for stretches!

Compare that to the 90's and beyond when it was basically duo centered offenses plus role players like the Bulls, Spurs and Lakers, the damn Rockets won the title in 1994 with basically EVERYTHING shouldering on Olajuwon! That didn't win you titles in the 1980's

You want to look at the real difference between the 80's and now? Don't need to look any further than the disparity between the modern East versus West. If you just looked at NUMBERS you would think that the East is better DEFENSIVELY but everyone knows that is not the case and in actuality the East just plays at a lower pace due to the lack of offensive firepower in comparison to West teams and it inflates their defensive numbers. What doesn't get inflated is the raping they've taking at the hands of the West for more than 10+ years and that's were you really see the "artificial" nature of the modern East's supposedly "tougher and better defense"
    Good post, especially your last paragraph. Yeah, if you look at the scoring allowed in the Eastern Conference over the last 10 years or so, you would think that there were a lot of great defensive teams. And there were, like the 08 Celts and 04 Pistons. But the conference as a whole was just weak and lacked talent. And that led to more grind it out games. Out in the West, the more talented teams scored more points because most teams were stacked with talent.

Quote Originally Posted by ClipperRevival
    I'm not a stat geek and not all into analytics. I'm old school and I've played the game for 25+ years so I rely on the eye test before any stat. But what specific stats do you speak of? Do you mean ppg allowed or some more advanced stats? I'm just curious.
    Still waiting for those specific stats.

Banned

Good post, especially your last paragraph. Yeah, if you look at the scoring allowed in the Eastern Conference over the last 10 years or so, you would think that there were a lot of great defensive teams. And there were, like the 08 Celts and 04 Pistons. But the conference as a whole was just weak and lacked talent. And that led to more grind it out games. Out in the West, the more talented teams scored more points because most teams were stacked with talent.
    Yup, to a large degree the advanced metrics, specifically DRTG are more of a measure of the offensive climate of the league than anything else IMO. That's why the 60s and 70s regularly featured ratings in the 80s-90s, FAR lower than anything we've seen post 2001. But then once an influx of ATG offensive talent came into the league from 79 onwards (think Bird, Magic... '84 alone had Hakeem, Barkley, Jordan, Stockton), DRTGs climbed drastically and offenses looked much better. Then when those guys started getting older, and to be fair defenses did start getting more physical post 88ish with the rise of the Bad Boy Pistons/Jordan rules, then ratings went down again. They were at their lowest in the modern era when there was the biggest lack of offensive talent (post Jordan era-post 2005 rule changes). Then guys like LeBron, KD, Curry, etc started coming into their own, the league became more offense friendly, etc.

Context is always key.

Pacers a two years ago had insane defensive ratings, we are talking about Hibbert lol.

I guess if you play more shitty teams than good teams your defensive rating will be better
    Last edited by Blue&Orange; 03-27-2015 at 10:12 PM.