Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Default Re: How many people here dont have Jordan as the GOAT ?

If you want to take a garbage team as far as possible Lebron is your guy

If you have a talented team already that is not quite championship material you take Jordan

Banned

If I had to guess I'd say the majority of real ISH posters (discounting all trolls, usually LeBron/Kobe stans) have Jordan as the GOAT. A smaller contingent would have Kareem, and a much smaller group would have Wilt.

I flip-flop between rankings and tiers but Jordan is #1 on my personal rankings and top tier in my tier list.

Quote Originally Posted by nba_55
    Kareem didn't add anything to his legacy with that team, he was at the end of his career. Jordan gets credited for 3 championships for playing with the team that won 55 games without him.
    Kareem gets credit for 2 rings on teams that were able to win 63 games without him (not to mention, he wasn't even all that effective on the second title team).

Quote Originally Posted by T_L_P
    Kareem gets credit for 2 rings on teams that were able to win 63 games without him (not to mention, he wasn't even all that effective on the second title team).
    Nahh not really.. I think most know he was a non-factor on the last 2 title Teams.

Abdul-Jabbar is the NBA GOAT for me.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Smoke117's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Euroleague
    Abdul-Jabbar is the NBA GOAT for me.
    The NBA GOAT and the GOAT basketball player in general are not one in the same?...this should be good.

Quote Originally Posted by ArbitraryWater
    Nahh not really.. I think most know he was a non-factor on the last 2 title Teams.
    87 Finals he avg. 22-7- 2.5blks

I'd say he was a 39yr old factor at 34mpg

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Smoke117
    The NBA GOAT and the GOAT basketball player in general are not one in the same?...this should be good.
    Inb4 Spanoulis.

My list changes, but I usually have Jordan at 3rd, sometimes higher at 4, but it's hard for me to rank someone so damn good....So I prefer tiers...But if it's a top 10 list?

1.Wilt
    2.Kareem
    3.Jordan

If someone wanted to get picky, they could use a players NCAA days which obviously isn't NBA.

If NCAA rules (at the time) allowed Freshman to play, Kareem more than likely would have been part of 4 straight NCAA championships at UCLA.

So if you use both, you could say basketball career / player

He's my goat, used to be by far when I was a kid. Now I can see other cases a bit more objectively than when I was running around with my 23 jersey on all the time....
    1.Mj (obvious reasons)
    2.Jabbar (dominated every level of the game over 3 decades?)
    3.Russell ( very underrated due to lack of info)

And I struggle like hell now with Wilt. I can't place him anymore. He can be anywhere from 3-8 on any given day lol.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Fudge's Avatar

Jordan is the GOAT because I said so.

It's really not close either.

Titles are overrated Kblaze8855's Avatar

There is a reasonable argument to be made for Jordan, Kareem, Russell, and wilt to me. Long as you dont have anyone outside that 4...im not gonna argue with you.

That's not what I said. Two different discussions and issues. And I am not getting into that in this thread, because of trolling assholes.

What I am saying though that is relevant is that you can't claim someone that never played in FIBA is "greatest basketball player ever".

Kareem never played in FIBA.

So I am simply saying Kareem is the best NBA player ever for me. But he never played in any FIBA game ever. So that claim about "greatest basketball player ever" is over the top. Without him ever playing in FIBA.

I think it would be more fair to separate him out from that.

It is like Belov, the greatest FIBA player ever. he never played in NBA.

So you can say Belov is the best FIBA player ever. Kareem is the best NBA player ever. Leave it at that. No need to exaggerate one way or the other when neither played in both and say "greatest basketball player ever".

If you are going to do that, then you have to actually look at guys that played both.

I think it's fair to say Kareem is best NCAA player ever also though, but FIBA and NBA are much more important than NCAA.

Keep in mind here...........we are talking GOAT, as in GREATEST of all time. That has the meaning of the guy with the greatest career, not necessarily the best player.

And they are saying, "Kareem is the greatest basketball player of all time". It's not the same as saying "best basketball player of all time". Two different standards.
    Last edited by Euroleague; 03-27-2015 at 06:10 PM.

Good to see KAJ getting some love. I thought I would be the only one saying he's the only guy along with MJ who can make a legit claim to GOAT. No one else is in that class. Russell? Not much of an offensive game and questionable era. Wilt? Came up short in the playoffs time and time again. When you look at the total body of work, there is MJ and KAJ and then everyone else a notch below.