Page 5 of 18 FirstFirst ... 234567815 ... LastLast

Thread: 2015 Draft,

NBA lottery pick

Default Re: 2015 Draft,

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie Dunker
    For examample if we had a pick between 16 - 20 and Looney was still available?! I'd be all over that. Or if we were to take Porzingas at #8 i'd love to have a crack at Dekker / Oubre if one of them was to slip into that 16-20 range...

Jennings to Houston for #18? To Dallas for #21? Both need help at the point,
    The media has been making some rumors of Jennings trades to a team in Texas. Honestly, Jennings is a far better player than whoever we would get at that point in the draft. It would take more than just a draft pick to get him. Plus those teams don't have the cap space to just trade a pick for a player anyway.

Local High School Star Aussie Dunker's Avatar

Who knows if Jennings would be better than a returning draft pick 15 - 23, the draft is such variable thing....

#15 Kawhi
    #15 Antetokounmpo
    #15 Al Jefferson
    #18 Bledsoe
    #19 Teague
    #21 Rondo
    #24 Ibaka
    #27 Gobert
    #30 Butler

#35 Draymond Green
    #35 Deandre Jordan
    #47 Millsap
    #48 Marc Gasol

So just had a quick scope through the past 8 or so drafts and there seems to be some hidden talent on draft nights between that 15 - 27 spots. And even in the second rounds (albeit quite rare)...

But this is why I don't bag out the talent of a draft before atleast getting a glimpse of what they can be like in the NBA. They all have ridiculous talent, but it is the mindset that you can't measure during workouts.

Put Kawhi's mind inside of Batum's head and a star is born,

Put Draymond Green's mind inside of Hibbert and we have a multiple DPOY monster,

So for me, at the end of the day, i'd risk trading Jennings for a late lottery / mid first rounder and try and find the basketball brain which can translate into being so much more than anyone anticipated - such as all those guys I listed above...

NBA lottery pick

Ok so you went back 8 drafts and found a handful of examples. That's my point. It's really tough to find difference makers there. I'll keep the proven commodity. Plus like I said, you have to take a player in return. Houston and Dallas don't have the cap space to just trade a pick for a player. The NBA doesn't work like that. I do think Houston would be very interested in Jennings. I just don't know how well he could work there with Harden having the ball in his hands most the time. I'm sure they think the same thing too. Anyway they need a PG. I actually think Jennings is worth more than a 15 pick. What PG in this draft is better than Jennings? The only one you could make a case for is Mudiay. Even that people could debate.

You would then have to take into account Jennings injury / age / bone headidness - and the fact that we will have Jackson at the point (considering we resign him, chances are we do), then yeah in our situation I pull the trigger and feel a need with young talent with high upside, such as a Looney, with a mid round draft pick... Pointless though as it will never happen!

Decent college freshman

Nobody's giving you a 1st for Jennings off an achilles. Or healthy for that matter.

NBA lottery pick

I don't see why not. He was playing the best ball of his career. Once Smith left he was killing it. If you can't get that for him it's better just to keep him.

I doub't we would get anything higher than a pick 20 for him (and that is being optimistic). It is a reflection on just hoe many good point guards there are in the league - demand for PG's are low right now, I would take whatever we can get for him - I Highly doubt he would be happy playing second fiddle behind reggie. And would love for Spender to be getting 15 minutes per game to continue his development

NBA lottery pick

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie Dunker
    I doub't we would get anything higher than a pick 20 for him (and that is being optimistic). It is a reflection on just hoe many good point guards there are in the league - demand for PG's are low right now, I would take whatever we can get for him - I Highly doubt he would be happy playing second fiddle behind reggie. And would love for Spender to be getting 15 minutes per game to continue his development
    Low??? The demand is high, lol. PG is a very important position and there aren't any in the draft and there's one main FA in Rondo.

Decent college freshman

Quote Originally Posted by dd24
    Low??? The demand is high, lol. PG is a very important position and there aren't any in the draft and there's one main FA in Rondo.
    There aren't a whole lot of PG openings, its the league's first or 2nd(PF) deepest position right now. 2 slots will be filled by Mudiay and Russell too most likely.

The main problem is the achilles injury. That's a career changer, if not ender.
    Its hard to gamble on a guy for 8 mil given that situation. I could see a team like LAL,NY or Hou gambling on him, but I doubt you get any value. Dumping his salary could have value to us though.

NBA lottery pick

Russell is definitely not a PG so that's not a spot. Mudiay is. He's the only one in the draft that will probably see any kind of significant playing time. Jennings is on a very good contract so he's not a financial burden really. There's no reason to dump his salary just for the heck of it. Plus he's already out of his walking boot and they say he'll be playing in August. When the cap goes up (and we all know it's going to for sure), that contract is going to be a steal for the last year of it. Then he'll probably end up with a raise.

Decent college freshman

Quote Originally Posted by dd24
    Russell is definitely not a PG so that's not a spot. Mudiay is. He's the only one in the draft that will probably see any kind of significant playing time. Jennings is on a very good contract so he's not a financial burden really. There's no reason to dump his salary just for the heck of it. Plus he's already out of his walking boot and they say he'll be playing in August. When the cap goes up (and we all know it's going to for sure), that contract is going to be a steal for the last year of it. Then he'll probably end up with a raise.
    Oh he'll be playing, but an achilles injury is a situation where you often never get your full quicks back. That's huge for a guy like Jennings.

Its plenty possible Russell ends up playing PG for whoever drafts him.

For us, an 8 mil backup PG is a burden. We could use that money a lot more effectively. There's no reason Jackson,KCP,Meeks and Dinwiddie can't eat the vast majority of our G minutes next year. Even as the backup to Jackson, Jennings is going to get 10 minutes a game. That's poor roster construction.

NBA lottery pick

Quote Originally Posted by Nastradamus
    Oh he'll be playing, but an achilles injury is a situation where you often never get your full quicks back. That's huge for a guy like Jennings.

Its plenty possible Russell ends up playing PG for whoever drafts him.

For us, an 8 mil backup PG is a burden. We could use that money a lot more effectively. There's no reason Jackson,KCP,Meeks and Dinwiddie can't eat the vast majority of our G minutes next year. Even as the backup to Jackson, Jennings is going to get 10 minutes a game. That's poor roster construction.
    I'd love to see Dinwiddie get some more minutes too. But I'm not going to give away a very good player for nothing. You guys are talking about trading a border line all-star for someone who may not be in the league in a few years.

PG demand in the league is at an all time high, but not for guys like Jennings. Without counting there are probably close to 20 PG's better than him, including one on our team, as well as the whole Achilles thing... I just don't see him having much currency = so If a team was prepared to offer us a mid first rounder i'd jump on that. He is now the odd man out in detroit....

And just for the record I think Russell is going to play PG in this league, it just seems to be the trend - scoring PG's... A little like Curry, I think that is going to be the new prototype floor general...

NBA lottery pick

Well, there was an article today where SVG said he wasn't trading Jennings.