Page 6 of 18 FirstFirst ... 345678916 ... LastLast

Thread: 2015 Draft,

Local High School Star Aussie Dunker's Avatar

Default Re: 2015 Draft,

Even if he did, he couldn't come out and say that, would drive Jennings value right down. I don't think SVG would trade jennings either,

Could we play both in the backcourt??.... hrmm

NBA lottery pick

He said that's his intention. He did it with Augustin & Jennings. I think he will play Reggie and Jennings together. It's all about having players in the back court now. I think having an abundance of guards is a good thing.

I guess Reggie and Spencer both have the size to play 2-guard, but Spencer is as pure of a PG as they come, and Reggie has some trouble with his deep shooting. Jennings is the best shooter of the 3 but is by far the smallest.

I wonder how Reggie and Jennings would feel about a commity type situation, PG share (think NFL running backs) - I have a feeling given their egos they both want to be feature backs - and not sure if it can pan out the way we are hoping it would...

At the end of the day SVG is 100 x smarter than either you or I so I am not that concerned - we will make the right decision either way

Decent college freshman

Quote Originally Posted by dd24
    I'd love to see Dinwiddie get some more minutes too. But I'm not going to give away a very good player for nothing. You guys are talking about trading a border line all-star for someone who may not be in the league in a few years.
    I don't think Jennings is a borderline all star, or close. Like Aussie said, he's probably not top 20 at his position, let alone top 5-10 as an All Star would need to be. Plus I still think you're drastically underrating the impact of an achilles injury.

NBA lottery pick

Quote Originally Posted by Nastradamus
    I don't think Jennings is a borderline all star, or close. Like Aussie said, he's probably not top 20 at his position, let alone top 5-10 as an All Star would need to be. Plus I still think you're drastically underrating the impact of an achilles injury.
    You have to take into consideration when Smith was there he was the guy who primarily had the ball in his hands. When Smith was let go, it was finally Jennings. He would have put up huge numbers last season. Huge. He was playing as good as anybody and the best ball in his career. I think you underestimate what he was capable of. Guys can come back form achilles now too. It's not like when Isiah was playing.

Decent college freshman

You have to take into consideration when Smith was there he was the guy who primarily had the ball in his hands. When Smith was let go, it was finally Jennings. He would have put up huge numbers last season. Huge. He was playing as good as anybody and the best ball in his career. I think you underestimate what he was capable of. Guys can come back form achilles now too. It's not like when Isiah was playing.
    Who has done so?

I completely agree about Jennings' play and what he is capable of, but he still has major issues and we are talking a small sample size.

Jennings was AMAZING post Josh smith trade, he truly was. But even that stretch was overshadowed by Reggie Jackson stretch once he got into the groove of things. With Reggie we are still looking at a somewhat unknown potential, but those final 15 games last year he looked like a borderline top 5 P, and statistically as probably ranked #1 in that period...

I think Reggie at his best is better than Jennings at his best, and especially Jennings post Achilles... One of the hardest injuries to rehab in as a professional athlete (I'm an Exercise Physiologist - deal with this kinda stuff daily). He will come back from it, but physically might be around 90% of himself, and mentally could be like 80% of himself, dips large enough to end his career as a starting caliber point guard...

NBA lottery pick

I know Reggie played lights out too. That's why I'm not comparing the two. I think we have two very good guards. I don't want to let one go for nothing. Luckily SVG doesn't either. I would bet the Lakers would move two of their later picks in a S&T for Monroe (since he may end up there anyhow depending on who they're targeting with that #2 pick) but free agency doesn't start before the draft.... Just trying to think of ways to not let Monroe walk for nothing lol. There's a slim chance that he signs a two year deal with Detroit though. He could opt out after next season. Then when the cap goes up he could get the really big contract he's looking for. That's best case scenario for us. Then we'd have time to trade him to a team he wants to play for and get something in return.

NBA lottery pick

The Pistons' pick is being shopped around, though Detroit might be better off just holding onto it. ESPN.com
    My question would be what are they getting in return. I know SVG is in win now mode and that happens more with guys who have been in the league a few years but I think it could be a very dangerous move to not use our lottery pick this year. I could see them moving down which would make some sense depending on who they're targeting. Two years in a row without a first rounder would really hurt the team though.

Also Drummond made a quote without being asked saying everybody needs to watch out for Quincy Miller. I wonder if the Pistons are thinking he's made enough progress that they have a young wing player. I would have a hard time believing he could go from a guy who barely could make a team to a starter though. He has the size. At 6'10" 220 he's a guy who should be able to be better at SF than what he's shown.

Decent college freshman

I can't see anyone offering us a good deal for that pick. I love the value at 8 too much anyways.

M
    Also Drummond made a quote without being asked saying everybody needs to watch out for Quincy Miller. I wonder if the Pistons are thinking he's made enough progress that they have a young wing player. I would have a hard time believing he could go from a guy who barely could make a team to a starter though. He has the size. At 6'10" 220 he's a guy who should be able to be better at SF than what he's shown.
    Yeah man In the other thread I mentioned this. I love his potential, the kid is crazy talented and that size is just ridiculous for his position. He is still super young, give him an off-season with SVG and let's see how he goes. Surely he could atleast be a scorer / defender off the bench for us

NBA lottery pick

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie Dunker
    Yeah man In the other thread I mentioned this. I love his potential, the kid is crazy talented and that size is just ridiculous for his position. He is still super young, give him an off-season with SVG and let's see how he goes. Surely he could atleast be a scorer / defender off the bench for us
    Yeah, I remember you bringing it up. He definitely has the size. With a guy that's done absolutely nothing if he were good enough it would seem like he would have been in the rotation. Hopefully he plays summer league. Then we can see what he can do, even though he'll be far more experienced than the guys he'll be playing against.

Decent college freshman

Does anyone consider Drummond for both the Lakers' first round picks?

Thought process being one of two things.

1. You don't think Drummond and Monroe can play together,but you think Monroe will stay if you max him out. Monroe is a better fit for the 1 in 4 out stratetgy SVG likes to employ and this way you don't lose one of the two for nothing in return. At 2 you take either Russell,Hezonja or Winslow to give you the floor spacing you need in our system. I might make such a trade contingent on landing Robert Upshaw with the 2nd pick from the Lakers. Hoping for Turner or Porzingis at 8 in this scenario.

2. You take Okafor and build your 1 in, 4 out system around him. He's a damn good post scoring prospect and you'd have him under control for longer than Drummond. You save your cap money that would be used on Monroe for a starting SF or PF. Tobias Harris maybe.

NBA lottery pick

Nah, I'm sticking with the proven commodity. Okafur and Towns are both going to take a few years before they produce. Drummond is just starting to get to the point to where he's going to be a very good player in the league. I'm not worried about the end of the first round that much. The Lakers do want to move one or two of those picks though. I'm not sure we have much to offer other than Monroe in a sign and trade which is impossible to do before the draft. The only thing you could do is have some kind of hand shake kind of deal where the Lakers draft for you and then you send Monroe later on. They're interested in going after him and he's interested in playing there. Even that's a long shot.

Decent college freshman

The Lakers can sign Monroe outright. They have zero motivation to do a sign and trade, especially for so much value.