Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    NBA Legend and Hall of Famer DMAVS41's Avatar

Default Re: Sum up Dirk's legacy with 1 picture

Quote Originally Posted by SCdac
    to be fair to the Little General, he did win COTY and got them playing defense! Nellie ball was whack, however imperfect Avery was
    He was a terrible overall coach and maybe 10% as good as Pop.

Totally agree Nellie also was a bit of a nut.

Just more reason why it was so special to do what the Mavs did. Hard to win with truly horrid coaching.

And lets not ignore it...Avery was a shit coach.

Very good NBA starter

Eh, it's all a matter of opinion. Avery isn't a HOF coach obviously, but he has a respectable .577 W/L% over 400+ games. Agree to disagree. There's been waaaaay worse coach's, so some perspective is key. I don't think Avery is much of a "people person" and that hurt him imo.

Eh, it's all a matter of opinion. Avery isn't a HOF coach obviously, but he has a respectable .577 W/L% over 400+ games. Agree to disagree. There's been waaaaay worse coach's, so some perspective is key. I don't think Avery is much of a "people person" and that hurt him imo.
    It's not a matter of opinion. He was a poor head coach.

Of course there are worse coaches in NBA history. I never said he was the worst coach ever. I said he was a shit coach.

Don't think you are really qualified here as I doubt you were paying much attention to the game to game strategy of Avery during his time on the Mavs.

All I'll say is that there is a reason he's only getting attention from down and out college programs. Seems obvious why that is the case. Poor coach and poor people person like you said (part of coaching by the way).

Give those Mavs teams a pop, or riley, or brown, or jackson...shit...even a Doc Rivers and I'd bet my life the results are very different. He was really bad dude...

Very good NBA starter

Quote Originally Posted by DMAVS41
    It's not a matter of opinion. He was a poor head coach.

Of course there are worse coaches in NBA history. I never said he was the worst coach ever. I said he was a shit coach.

Don't think you are really qualified here as I doubt you were paying much attention to the game to game strategy of Avery during his time on the Mavs.

All I'll say is that there is a reason he's only getting attention from down and out college programs. Seems obvious why that is the case. Poor coach and poor people person like you said (part of coaching by the way).
    Huh? I was watching the Mavs more closely at the time than I was even now

I don't think you're qualified to talk about other people's qualifications.

get off your high horse homie and just talk the game instead of getting personal yo

Huh? I was watching the Mavs more closely at the time than I was even now

I don't think you're qualified to talk about other people's qualifications.

get off your high horse homie and just talk the game instead of getting personal yo
    LOL...

Okay...what makes Avery Johnson a good and championship caliber coach. Please don't reference his wins/losses like it matters.

I think it's pretty obvious anyone arguing for Avery as a good coach has an agenda. In this case it's clear...there are Spurs roots and it makes that 06 loss even worse for you as a Spurs fan knowing you guys lost to an inferior team/coach without home court.

How many Mavs games a year during Avery's run did you watch? You were really loading up on league pass watching all the games for the Mavs? I just doubt it...but if so...great.

If so...I'd then question your basketball knowledge calling Avery a good/championship caliber coach. He just wasn't and it should be obvious at this point.

Again, I didn't say he's the worst coach ever. I said he was a shit coach and not championship caliber. You seem to differ there...and no mystery as to why.

Very good NBA starter

Please don't reference his wins/losses like it matters.
    lol what...You say some of the funniest shit, man. debating with you is hilarious given your love for Dirk. A team's success and failures is correlated with the coach, I think that's fair to say for every team in the league. Avery deserves some credit and some blame for the successes and failures of his teams. That's not outlandish of a statement... at all... But we get it, Dirk had to deal with a shitty coach, shitty roster, shitty matchup, yadda yadda yadda...

lol what...You say some of the funniest shit, man. debating with you is hilarious given your love for Dirk. A team's success and failures is correlated with the coach, I think that's fair to say for every team in the league. Avery deserves some credit and some blame for the successes and failures of his teams. That's not outlandish of a statement... at all... But we get it, Dirk had to deal with a shitty coach, shitty roster, shitty matchup, yadda yadda yadda...
    Because you just got done talking about Nellie and how his style was "whack"...I agree. Well shit...he's won the most games ever.

Avery adopted a top 20 player in his peak/prime with solid supporting casts. (Never said Dirk always had a shitty roster...as usual you straw man)...

And clearly that had a lot to do with winning regular season games. I mean...you run prime Dirk out on the court healthy with some decent help and you are getting around 55 wins plus. So I'm not enamored by that.

When he actually had to do real coaching he failed miserably. He was awful in the 06 final, he was historically awful in the 07 Warriors series, he turned off the players in 08....then when he went to the Nets...he was awful.

Since then he's been out of the game in the studio essentially and only getting attention from down and out college teams.

I'm asking you to defend your position of why Avery was a good coach...or a coach that had it in him to win titles without having ultra all time loaded teams in which coaching doesn't matter.

So while Dirk didn't have "shitty" rosters by any means...he never had the loaded up enough rosters that could have won without having a quality head coach...and Avery just wasn't that.

You talking about his record on the Mavs when literally a guy off the street could have won 50 in 06, 07, and 08 just isn't impressive...

Avery was a good motivator. He got the Mavs to play hard in the regular season. He got them to not go through the motions as a team against bad/average teams. While this coaching quality really matters for wins in the regular season (we don't win 67 without a motivator like Avery in 07) it doesn't do much in the playoffs. In the playoffs against quality teams...you have to be able to make adjustments, know how to get your players off despite certain defenses, you have to know what makes your team tick and do everything you can to keep that part alive (you don't adapt to the other teams style like Avery did so often)...

It's not enough to just get guys to play hard. Avery is the definition of a ceiling coach. He can only take a team so far. Coaching isn't just motivation. As a motivator Avery is great...at least for a stretch (maybe 3 to 5 years)....but as a coach he isn't....
    Last edited by DMAVS41; 04-05-2015 at 02:42 PM.

Very good NBA starter

He was awful in the 06 final, he was historically awful in the 07 Warriors series, he turned off the players in 08....then when he went to the Nets...he was awful.
    Yeah, he wasn't the only one... *cough* Dirk *cough*

Yeah, he wasn't the only one... *cough* Dirk *cough*
    And?

How is that relevant to Avery's coaching? Notice how you always either straw man or throw out red herrings?

It's a sign you can't defend your actual position. Now you are trying to turn this into a debate about Dirk's play. The usual method of debate you employ on here.

Sometimes you just have to call a spade a spade. Dirk was absolutely terrible in the 07 Warriors series. Just a fact.

Just like it's a fact that Avery Johnson was not and is not a championship caliber coach.

Also, don't you think it might hurt your position a little that Dirk's worst series as a pro, in the heart of his prime, came with Avery Johnson coaching? Dirk is the proven all time great here...he did it before, during, and after Avery. What has Avery done without Dirk or really quality teams?

Again you kind of shoot your own argument in the foot here.

On the watch of Avery...the Mavs gave up their lead in the 06 finals and lost to the Warriors in 07. Notice how you don't include Avery in your criticism of the Mavs on that normally? It's always toward Dirk?
    Last edited by DMAVS41; 04-05-2015 at 02:52 PM.

Dirk was clutch AF in 06. Thru 3 series not many players had better runs Multiple gamewinners in the playoffs Memphis and Phoenix
    he out offensed Nash at his peak, Ripped Paus anus apart and they had the best defense IIRC, outplayed Timmy specially down the stretch when Timmy choked and IIRC Dirk blocked a potential gamewinner from Timmy in that series. Clutch defense too

and Avery is one of the worst head coaches ever lol @ anyone callin him decent even.

Quote Originally Posted by Hamtaro CP3KDKG
    Dirk was clutch AF in 06. Thru 3 series not many players had better runs Multiple gamewinners in the playoffs Memphis and Phoenix
    he out offensed Nash at his peak, Ripped Paus anus apart and they had the best defense IIRC, outplayed Timmy specially down the stretch when Timmy choked and IIRC Dirk blocked a potential gamewinner from Timmy in that series. Clutch defense too

and Avery is one of the worst head coaches ever lol @ anyone callin him decent even.
    I wouldn't say one of the worst ever overall.

Perhaps is one of the worst ever when it comes to adjustments, x's and o's, and managing a game with substitutions and rotations...I've seen very few worse in that regard in my life watching the NBA.

However, he's a master motivator, at least early on...and while that won't get you a title...it will win you like 5 to 10 more games in the regular season vs a coach that doesn't motivate well.

And that is a big enough part of coaching to really note.

Banned

lol SCDac is so mentally ill.

Local High School Star kenny817's Avatar

He was only watching the Mavs when they played the Spurs

Internet dudes be lying to prove their points smh