Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    NBA Legend and Hall of Famer 3ball's Avatar

Default Re: Robert Horry video. I think people may need to stop using him as a negative example.

Quote Originally Posted by Kblaze8855

He was a complete player and had a lot in common with current Leonard in ways.
    True, MJ blow by Kawhi too - how many times do you think a coach would let this happen before putting the SG back on MJ?

I'm pretty sure Hakeem is TELLING the coach to make the switch back..

Last edited by 3ball; 04-06-2015 at 06:44 PM.

Default Re: Robert Horry video. I think people may need to stop using him as a negative example.

Quote Originally Posted by MiseryCityTexas
    Hell no. Diaw and prime Horry are nothing alike.
    well duh, not skillset-wise but in function

Titles are overrated Kblaze8855's Avatar

Default Re: Robert Horry video. I think people may need to stop using him as a negative examp

Believe it or not I met a guy named "Leonard Horry" today and was reminded of this comparison.

Obviously Leonard went to another level in the years after this(as I mentioned he had started to do) but 95 Horry and 2014 Leonard had similar finals and while its impossible to know potential.....i'll forever feel Robert left a lot on the table.

But maybe not.....its arguable that the guys who could be stars but instead give all they can to fit in and make great teams work have been more impactful than a lot of people in the hall of fame.

Rockets/Lakers Horry, Warriors Iggy, Manu much of his career, and even guys like Dennis Johnson who morphed into...not role players...but guys far removed from all NBA as they had been? Those guys take teams from great to unbeatable at times.

Guess it depends on what you consider success. Horry never had the star runs those guys had to prove he had it in him but....I dont know. He showed quite a bit but would just go back to taking it easy. Not everyone wants to be the guy.

Default Re: Robert Horry video. I think people may need to stop using him as a negative examp

I will never get over how stupid people have been forgetting that Robert Horry is Robert Horry when a game is on the line:

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Smoke117's Avatar

Nice collection of wide open shots. This was a terrible thread five years ago and it’s still terrible now. Do us all a favor and delete it.

Quote Originally Posted by 3ball View Post
    Horry was looked at as a Pippen-type, do-it-all player.
    Quote Originally Posted by 3ball View Post
    True, MJ blow by Kawhi too - how many times do you think a coach would let this happen before putting the SG back on MJ?

I'm pretty sure Hakeem is TELLING the coach to make the switch back..

And of course this fakkit manage to bring this shit up in a Robert Horry thread

Quote Originally Posted by Smoke117 View Post
    Nice collection of wide open shots. This was a terrible thread five years ago and it’s still terrible now. Do us all a favor and delete it.
    To be so unimpressed it must be fairly common to have such a collection.

Give me a few others who do.

What type of offensive player would Horry have been if he was not so selfless in his prime? A 15 ppg player? He was kind of underrated but he was really not that "good" and definitely not someone whose contributions are hard to replace especially after his houston years.

Not airballing my layups anymore

Quote Originally Posted by Kblaze8855 View Post
    He wasnt just on a gang of great teams. He helped make a lot of teams great. Especially early. He was talked about as the next Scottie Pippen at one point. He came in 6'9'' running the floor, handling the ball, guarding 4 positions, hitting threes, dunking everything, blocking shots, and setting steals records. He was a complete player and had a lot in common with current Leonard in ways....

Lot of what you expect to see in a Horry tribute. Perhaps some things you didnt know he was capable of.

Something I said a while back:

He came out of that expected to become a star. But he was always so selfless. He never wanted it. He never really pushed himself as an offensive player...but ive heard coaches refer to him as the best defensive tweener of the 90s other than Pippen. considering that would put him over rodman...I dont agree....but hes been given high praise.

And he spent 15 years making people look like idiots for walking away from him for big shots.

Rasheed did it twice....

ISH went crazy when they let old ass Horry wet that 3 to win game 5 of the finals. He shouldnt have been open for 3 with the game on the line after 2001....but it just kept on happening. And he kept coming though...

03 is about the only time I remember him coming up short and that ball was 95% in...almost like Jordans bank 3 after Reggie hit the shot in 98. couldnt have been more in...

Anyway...

I think Horry had too much to do with too much winning to be just a "Yea but is ____ better than _____" footnote in history.

He didnt bullshit his way to 7 rings.

At least 3 of them likely go the other way without him.

Even back to his rocket days...hes pretty much the reason Dennis Rodman was traded to the Bulls. Dennis did not want to step out and guard Horry who kept making big shots....big locker room issue...Dennis vs Drob. Whole controversy....

One such huge shot was in the video. Dennis is nowhere to be seen. I love Dennis...but he dropped the ball guarding Horry. He wanted the rebounds and to lock down the paint...but the opposing 4 was playing 25 feet from the basket...

He really had a lot to do with them beating the Spurs but the numbers dont show it.

He was a key defensive player on 5 of those title teams....a key offensive player on 2....and hit huge shots in the playoffs on 6....

Watching him evolve from a do everything future star to the ultimate no credit role player makes me wonder what Leonard is gonna do. Hes luckier in that his teams best players are aging and have to pass the torch. Robert ended up on the Lakers with young stars. Plus the era Robert was in started to favor isolation players and his fullcourt abilities were wasted.

In the 80s or now I think he would be a bit better used on the offensive end.

Leonard took a good step this year so hes leaving Robert behind quickly....but he had a spark.

^
    That Horry was no joke.

Im not gonna do the "Which career would you rather...." thing. You take the superstar career...get the money. But I have to say that I think he had more to do with his teams winning than hes given credit for due to his numbers.
    I can’t say he’s underrated since his name comes up in almost any ring argument but he’s a prime example the nba needs a role player of the year or teammate of the year award for the Horrys, Shane battier , Bruce Bowen .. players who do dirty work that won’t come up in stats but clearly make a winning difference .. I see draymon green as this type too , he’s not a defensive guy to where he could make the knicks a top 2 defense but he could change a culture with how he plays

Plus they are turning defensive player of the year into a joke

Decent college freshman

Probably dating myself here, but I loved Horry's game even in college. Dude was a beast coming out of Alabama. Great all-around Forward's game. Could do a little bit of everything, both ends of the floor, and could sky.

Quote Originally Posted by Reggie43 View Post
    What type of offensive player would Horry have been if he was not so selfless in his prime? A 15 ppg player? He was kind of underrated but he was really not that "good" and definitely not someone whose contributions are hard to replace especially after his houston years.

Thats where the question of production vs contribution comes in. There are 200 people you can get 6/6 from like he gave in 2002 off the bench. How many would even be on the floor for the shot he made vs the Kings though...much less make it? How many 6ppg players would a guy like Kobe trust enough to pass up a game winner and hit him in the corner the several times he proved willing to do that? The finals game winner in 01...would Kobe give it up to say....Boki Nachbar? Perfectly competent shooter. But....would stars trust him the same way they all trusted Horry? Would he get so many chances to prove hed come through?

It isnt nearly as simple as taking him away means those many plays cant be made but...its hard to assume. Its like...is Michael Cooper just any 9/4 player who can be all D? Is Bill Hanzliks 12/6 and all d team on the wing the same as Coopers 9/6 and all d the same year?

Its hard to say.

You cant exactly throw out a half dozen or more playoff game winners several of them in key games to help win titles....and many other big plays down the stretch of similar games.

But you also cant assume other similar players wouldnt perform. Marvin Williams will do better numbers than Horry.

Would all of Horrys teams be as successful with him? I find it hard to say yes.

Its the really abstract part of the game its hard to argue about because its all fantasy and assumptions....and our opinions are so colored by the reality that already happened. I cant picture Jonathan Bender making all the plays I saw Horry make....that doesnt mean he couldnt. And its hard for me to imagine many washed up 35 year olds even being in a key finals game late let alone taking it over despite there being 8 younger all stars on the floor and then hitting the game winner on top of it. That doesnt mean Thabo wont do it next season. I just...have trouble picturing it.

Im not sure how to quantify Robert Horrys contribution and how easy it is to replace it.

I get what you are saying but we should compare him to similar veteran players and not random guys with similar numbers. Most teams had a ton of those, guys like older Ron Harper, Fisher, Rick Fox, Warrior Iguodala, Mario Elie, older Derrick Mckey etc. They dont necessarily play the same position but they had a similar presence and are more experienced guys who knew how to play the game.

No one uses him as a negative example.

College star

Stars like Shaq and Kobe make championship teams, but it's guys like Horry that make dynasties. A team needs a cohesive unit of players who rise to the occasion and are not only able to make big stops but also big shots. Horry was one of those guys that fit that script and complimented post players and slashers very well.