Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Tim Duncan is top 5 alltime

Hakeem's playoff averages:

25.9/11.2/3.2 with 1.7 steals and 3.3 blocks on 53%

Duncan:

21.3/11.7/3.1 with 0.7 steals and 2.3 blocks on 50.1%

What Duncan has going for him is a better organization. Hakeem got drafted into potentially great situation that went bad.

Quote Originally Posted by SuperPippen
    I don't see how it's such an outrageous claim to make. If anything I'd say that Magic and Bird (primarily Magic) are overrated by too many people. Duncan is a far superior two-way player, possesses superior longevity, and has quite possibly the GOAT intangibles.

He may not be quite the offensive masterminds that Magic and Bird were, but he was still great enough to be the crunch-time scorer for several championship teams.

Also, Duncan's greatest game >>> any game played by Magic or Bird. The man put up a quadruple double in the clinching game of a Finals.

You may disagree that he's greater than Magic or Bird, and that's fine, but acting like it's not even a debate is foolish, because it clearly is.
    Magic's ROOKIE season. Clinching game six, on the road, and without Kareem. 42 points, on 14-23 FG/FGA and 14-14 FT/FTA, with 15 rebounds (5 more than anyone else in the game), and seven assists.

Quote Originally Posted by julizaver
    Duncan ahead of Magic, Bird?

No way, if you have seen them play. And I am not hating on Duncan, I like the Big Fundamenatal and he deserved a lot of credit for what he did during his career, but it seems that he is very overrated here in ISH and to the expense of guys like Magic and Bird, who were the best in the league in their respective primes.

Just curious are you ranking Duncan ahead of Shaq, Jordan, Kareem ?

And which player you would choose to start a team - Hakeem or Duncan ?
    Duncan, easily.

Good college starter

Quote Originally Posted by LAZERUSS
    Magic's ROOKIE season. Clinching game six, on the road, and without Kareem. 42 points, on 14-23 FG/FGA and 14-14 FT/FTA, with 15 rebounds (5 more than anyone else in the game), and seven assists.
    What were Kareem's averages for that series....?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by julizaver
    And which player you would choose to start a team - Hakeem or Duncan ?

Duncan every time

Good college starter

Quote Originally Posted by IllegalD
    What were Kareem's averages for that series....?
    Nevermind, found 'em!

Kareem 1980 Finals:

33 PPG, 14 REBs, 5 blocks, 3 assists on 55% FG and 81% FT

Prime Shaq-like 'cept with GREAT FT shooting.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer DMAVS41's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Marchesk

Duncan:

What Duncan has going for him is a better organization. Hakeem got drafted into potentially great situation that went bad.
    In part for sure... The other part is that Duncan was/is a better defensive player. Also, can't ignore that if Hakeem had the kind of teams Duncan has had... His numbers would drop a bit... And vice versa for Duncan playing with more teams like Hakeem had

Quote Originally Posted by IllegalD
    Nevermind, found 'em!

Kareem 1980 Finals:

33 PPG, 14 REBs, 5 blocks, 3 assists on 55% FG and 81% FT

Prime Shaq-like 'cept with GREAT FT shooting.
    Not relevant to the original point....that Magic never had a Finals clinching game as great as Duncan's.

Yes...he did.

BTW, had Kareem not played at all in the series,...who knows? maybe Magic AVERAGES 42-15-7 on a .609 FG% and a 1.000 FT% for the entire series.

NBA rookie of the year Da_Realist's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SuperPippen
    Also, Duncan's greatest game >>> any game played by Magic or Bird. The man put up a quadruple double in the clinching game of a Finals.
    I don't agree. Bird has had too many ATG games to boldly make that statement. Magic set up his teammates so it's difficult to quantify his play in those terms. His game deserves to be weighed by a different evaluation.

I'm at the airport so I can't quantify what I am saying but check out the last 3 or 4 games against the Pistons in 87, the last game of the 86 Finals, a couple of games against the Knicks in 84, the heat game (game 5) of the 84 Finals and the duel against Dominique in 88. That's just off the top of my head.

I'm not saying they are better but they were good enough to not make that claim so boldly. His ATG games stand up to anyone that's ever played.
    Last edited by Da_Realist; 04-24-2015 at 05:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Marchesk

Duncan:

And that he wasn't a shitty gambler, a black hole on offense and a terrible leader who let players like Billy Paultz get into his head for half his career?

Good college starter

Quote Originally Posted by LAZERUSS
    Not relevant to the original point....that Magic never had a Finals clinching game as great as Duncan's.

Yes...he did.

BTW, had Kareem not played at all in the series,...who knows? maybe Magic AVERAGES 42-15-7 on a .609 FG% and a 1.000 FT% for the entire series.

Riiiiiiiiight. So rookie Magic is gonna' average the greatest Finals averages of all time PLUS win the series WITHOUT Kareem's 33, 14, and 5?