Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Not1,Not2,Not3,Not4... ninephive's Avatar

Default Re: Parker should thank Diaw and Griffin

Quote Originally Posted by navy
    Team would be better with Mario Chalmers than Tony Parker.
    I would say the Spurs would be better with any other point guard in the history of the NBA, ABA, D-League, WNBA, or high school roster. Parker, the FMVP, 4x world champion, 6x All-Star, who averages 19/5 on 50% shooting for his career is that bad. I don't care who you replace him with, even if they have never played basketball. I guarantee they would be better than the FMVP who outplayed Lebron James in the 2007 NBA Finals.

The thing is that Mills inability to run the offense makes the team better because the ball movemnt is there to find him open shots and the team open.When he's not in they basically take turns on offense. Tony Parker has been a net negative on this team for two straight years now while Mills has one of the best plus minus. It's not a coincidence.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer warriorfan's Avatar

I havn't peeped stats from this series but going with eye test, I'm with navy, mills is your man from here on out.

Not1,Not2,Not3,Not4... ninephive's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by warriorfan
    I havn't peeped stats from this series but going with eye test, I'm with navy, mills is your man from here on out.
    Yes for energy off the bench in spurts, but we need Parker's penetration and ball handling to collapse the defense and open up 3s. That worked tonight, so Insay keep rolling with Parker for heavy minutes...his shots will start to fall at some point unless he's too injured. If that's the case, we're in trouble.

Quote Originally Posted by IGOTGAME
    You miss the entire reason why Parker is important. It's his ability as a ball handler to be a triple threat and to get points at the rim, which SAS often struggle with...the fact that he can do it outside of the offense also makes him valuable.

But hey, they won a title last year with Parker and are looking to advance past a tough Clippers team. You don't sit you trusted guy for a wild card w poor decision making skills in the playoffs.
    You and I must not be watching the same series. What points at the rim, what triple threat - his jumper is absolutely ATROCIOUS - the only thing worse is his defense. He's a quadruple threat AGAINST SAS - it means no baskets at the rim, no jumpers going in, no defense (hidden on Matt Barnes) and no Patty Mills on the floor.

And Spurs did better last year in important games without Parker - remember the second half vs OKC and his 1-10 to start Finals game 5? Who in the world would want 9.6 pts in 29.3 mins (32.8%FG) over 12 pts in 15.8 mins (52.9%FG) this series? Mills is a huge reason why they are 3-2.
    Last edited by rmt; 04-29-2015 at 04:26 AM.

Decent college freshman

The thing is that Mills inability to run the offense makes the team better because the ball movemnt is there to find him open shots and the team open.When he's not in they basically take turns on offense. Tony Parker has been a net negative on this team for two straight years now while Mills has one of the best plus minus. It's not a coincidence.
    Mills ability to shoot the three also makes any lineup he's in dangerous. That floor spacing is invaluable to a motion offense that the Spurs run. Look at Parker, in contrast. Clippers are sagging off him and giving him open jumpers and he keeps bricking them.

Learning to shoot layups

Mills is a one dimensional player much as I like him. Parker isn't playing good ball but he far and away is the best ball handler on the squad and can drive to the basket far better then Mills. That's absolutely key for the Spurs, and part of the reason they have struggled in the season and versus the Clippers is because Parker hasn't been up to scratch. No one else on the team can provide what Parker can, even if Mills is a better shooter.

The best bet is to hope Parker can crank it up a notch. The Clippers are probably the 3rd best team in the league but the Spurs will need more from him versus the Warriors in the WCF.

Inb4 T_L_P vs ninephive.

Decent college freshman

Quote Originally Posted by ak47buffalo
    Mills is a one dimensional player much as I like him. Parker isn't playing good ball but he far and away is the best ball handler on the squad and can drive to the basket far better then Mills. That's absolutely key for the Spurs, and part of the reason they have struggled in the season and versus the Clippers is because Parker hasn't been up to scratch. No one else on the team can provide what Parker can, even if Mills is a better shooter.

The best bet is to hope Parker can crank it up a notch. The Clippers are probably the 3rd best team in the league but the Spurs will need more from him versus the Warriors in the WCF.
    Mills may be one-dimensional but he's clutch. Hits a couple threes every time the spurs are coming from behind...usually due to TP putting them in an early hole(parker started the game like 1-5). He's also automatic at the free throw line. Compare that to Parker who chokes all his free throws.

Decent college freshman

Quote Originally Posted by ninephive
    Yes for energy off the bench in spurts, but we need Parker's penetration and ball handling to collapse the defense and open up 3s. That worked tonight, so Insay keep rolling with Parker for heavy minutes...his shots will start to fall at some point unless he's too injured. If that's the case, we're in trouble.
    no, it wont. he's been shooting them poorly all year. look up the numbers.

Learning to shoot layups

And by "net negative" you of course don't actually mean he has a negative +/- when he's on the floor (like tonight how he was positive). We all get that our bench is better than the other team's, but you might want to change your wording. It's not like the team is getting beat when he's on the floor.

So far in this particular series the Spurs are +19 overall with Parker on the floor. Just FYI.
    Parker is -3 and change in RPM for the season. One of the worst for PGs

Decent college freshman

Quote Originally Posted by [GR]
    Parker is -3 and change in RPM for the season. One of the worst for PGs
    Don't waste you time with this fakkit. He's a Tony Parker fanboy that's in denial. He still thinks Parker was the Spurs best player in the playoffs last year instead of Kawhi. Also thinks Parker's a better all-time player than Manu. Player fans like him are the worst.

I would say the Spurs would be better with any other point guard in the history of the NBA, ABA, D-League, WNBA, or high school roster. Parker, the FMVP, 4x world champion, 6x All-Star, who averages 19/5 on 50% shooting for his career is that bad. I don't care who you replace him with, even if they have never played basketball. I guarantee they would be better than the FMVP who outplayed Lebron James in the 2007 NBA Finals.
    Well, you know, James had Bowen draped all over him and Duncan patrolling the paint. While Parker had the hobbled Eric Snow and rookie Daniel Gibson to guard him.

There is no way to disguise it - all the stats back it up - Parker has been atrocious this season. I appreciate what Parker has done throughout the past years but there's no sugar coating this year. And Pop is not doing the team any favors playing him so many minutes when there is a HOT Patty Mills on the bench.

Quote Originally Posted by rmt
    Well, you know, James had Bowen draped all over him and Duncan patrolling the paint. While Parker had the hobbled Eric Snow and rookie Daniel Gibson to guard him.

There is no way to disguise it - all the stats back it up - Parker has been atrocious this season. I appreciate what Parker has done throughout the past years but there's no sugar coating this year. And Pop is not doing the team any favors playing him so many minutes when there is a HOT Patty Mills on the bench.
    No, no....he runs the offense.

Parker at this point is not a threat to anything other than the Spurs' chances to win. It's hard to tell whether it's because he's hurt or he's really done, but he is an overwhelming negative for this Spurs team.