Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Serious playground baller ATL_Bball_King's Avatar

Default Re: Why do teams have to run down the clock at the end of quarters?

Quote Originally Posted by nba_55
    This kind of comment lead nowhere. It would be better if you gave a logical reason.
    Logically, if uve ever played organized ball, any coach would tell u to get the last shot...it could be 40 secs left...u hold the ball and get the last good look...even if u never played, if u really watch basketball, u should know getting the last shot and getting momentum for the next quarter is key

Quote Originally Posted by Real14
    Niguh I prolly had more puhcee than you man and how tha hell a straight man gonna call himself salty meatballs and then falsely accuse an ill niguh like me anyway? GTFOH!
    Yeah, you probably mean p[COLOR="Black"]ussy[/COLOR] as in CATS. I really doubt you've gotten the real thing considering how dumb you are. Also, SaltyMeatballs is just a username I chose to have. It has nothing to do with how I behave/act in real life.

Quote Originally Posted by Dro
    Honestly, your post is a bit confusing. I tried my best to make out what I thought you meant...
    Mathematically, if you really think about it, there's no advantage of holding the ball at the end of quarters. People talk about ''not giving the opponent extra possession'', but that's bullshit. At the end of the day, the number of possession even out. Teams alter possessions. Team A gets the ball--->Team B gets the ball---->Team A gets the ball.... At the end, all even out.
    Last edited by nba_55; 04-29-2015 at 09:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ATL_Bball_King
    Logically, if uve ever played organized ball, any coach would tell u to get the last shot...it could be 40 secs left...u hold the ball and get the last good look...even if u never played, if u really watch basketball, u should know getting the last shot and getting momentum for the next quarter is key
    Holding the ball to get a bad shot at the end of quarter doesn't really give you the momentum, especially if you miss it.

3-time NBA All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by Real14
    OP iz definitely a virgin

not a surprise hes a bran stan

Decent playground baller lilandywiggins's Avatar

At the end of the 4th quarter, i understand it, the team leading don't want the other team to comeback, they want to reduce the number of possessions the other team can get to make their comeback. At the end of the other 3 quarters, I don't get it. Why teams stop running plays? Why does one player stand and run down the clock? What's the advantage?
    You honestly don't understand the strategy?

I usually hit open layups

Mathematically, if you really think about it, there's no advantage of holding the ball at the end of quarters. People talk about ''not giving the opponent extra possession'', but that's bullshit. At the end of the day, the number of possession even out. Teams alter possessions. Team A gets the ball--->Team B gets the ball---->Team A gets the ball.... At the end, all even out.
    are you serious? your expected value is going to be higher if you get a shitty shot and your opponent doesn't get a shot, than if you and your opponent both get a shot.

and, uh, you know initial possession in a quarter is not dependent on who had final possession in the last quarter right?

wow op is retarded, i thought what he meant is what dro was saying....guess not lol.
    as an answer to dro, i have been wondering about that for a while as well

I only logged in to say lol

Local High School Star Akhenaten's Avatar

Don't get the strategy either but it's one of those things that have been done a certain way for so long everybody just accepts it as being the right thing to do.

To me it's the easiest play in basketball to defend because its so predictable and the defense often can key because by the time offensive player iniates his move there is usually not enough time for a pass.

I really dont like this play, extremely low percentage.

Quote Originally Posted by EwingMan
    are you serious? your expected value is going to be higher if you get a shitty shot and your opponent doesn't get a shot, than if you and your opponent both get a shot.

and, uh, you know initial possession in a quarter is not dependent on who had final possession in the last quarter right?
    Still, it even out at the end. For example, Team A starts with the ball, then Team B gets it, then Team A gets it back.... they alter [possessions like that the whole quarter.

Now, let's say at the end of the quarter, team A gets the last possession. With that scenario, at the end of the quarter, Team A would have 1 more total possession than team B. The next quarter team B would start with it, it would even out.

If Team B finished the quarter with the possession, both teams would have equal number of possessions at the end of the quarter.

Think about it, you'll see that mathematically, it always even out. That ''extra'' possession is an illusion.
    Last edited by nba_55; 04-29-2015 at 11:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Random_Guy
    wow op is retarded, i thought what he meant is what dro was saying....guess not lol.
    as an answer to dro, i have been wondering about that for a while as well
    Dude, think about it. People always say you don't want to give the opponent an extra possession. But mathematically, that's wrong.

Basketball Genius

Still, it even out at the end. For example, Team A starts with the ball, then Team B gets it, then Team A gets it back.... they alter [possessions like that the whole quarter.

Now, let's say at the end of the quarter, team A gets the last possession. With that scenario, at the end of the quarter, Team A would have 1 more total possession than team B. The next quarter team B would start with it, it would even out.

If Team B finished the quarter with the possession, both teams would have equal number of possessions at the end of the quarter.

Think about it, you'll see that mathematically, it always even out.
    so then why shoot early in the clock and give them a chance to score on back-to-back possessions?

Quote Originally Posted by Matty2Cool
    I only logged in to say lol
    think about it. You'll see my reasoning behind it. Think mathematically.

Quote Originally Posted by PsychoBe
    so then why shoot early in the clock and give them a chance to score on back-to-back possessions?
    I say take the best shot possible. Run plays, don't hold the ball. Find the best shot possible. That ''don't give extra possession to opponent'' thing is an illusion. At the end, both teams get equal possessions. That's how it works. By rules, teams have to alter possession.