Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    NBA sixth man of the year Thorpesaurous's Avatar

Default Re: Mid-Century Modern

I actually went to look at a pretty nice MCM at an open house last weekend. 2000 sq. feet, split level design. Top floor was three bedrooms, a bath, and a central "communal space". Ground level was a single space, with two walls making a kitchen in the center, with aisles on both sides. One side was intended to be a dining, the other a living room, with a fire place. Entry way landed in the middle, with the split staircase. A peak around the fireplace was directly to your left. It also had a nicely done four season room off the back of the ground level. And it had the distinctive ground to roof windows on all four sides. It was on almost an acre. And it was well priced at less than 250k

It needed some updating. Both kitchen walls would've come down in my mind. But the real problem was that it was in the middle of nowhere. Really off of two highways. You even had to overshoot the street by a mile and turn around in one of the highway cutaways to get to the street. It was just too far away for me to make an offer, especially considering the area was just too barren for my taste.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Thorpesaurous
    I actually went to look at a pretty nice MCM at an open house last weekend. 2000 sq. feet, split level design. Top floor was three bedrooms, a bath, and a central "communal space". Ground level was a single space, with two walls making a kitchen in the center, with aisles on both sides. One side was intended to be a dining, the other a living room, with a fire place. Entry way landed in the middle, with the split staircase. A peak around the fireplace was directly to your left. It also had a nicely done four season room off the back of the ground level. And it had the distinctive ground to roof windows on all four sides. It was on almost an acre. And it was well priced at less than 250k

It needed some updating. Both kitchen walls would've come down in my mind. But the real problem was that it was in the middle of nowhere. Really off of two highways. You even had to overshoot the street by a mile and turn around in one of the highway cutaways to get to the street. It was just too far away for me to make an offer, especially considering the area was just too barren for my taste.
    That is a pretty good price without even looking at it. While I don't know where you're at, we are paying a premium for homes like this. We didn't have to before but some realtor setup shop here and decided to specialize in these homes. Therefore, he is getting these people that otherwise would sell cheap and get out, sell for top dollar. Then again these homes here are in a very nice area.

One thing about these homes is when you update, you want to keep it modern as well. I wouldn't tear down any walls that change the look of the home and there are a lot of originality of the homes that I would keep.

Quote Originally Posted by 9erempiree
    That is a pretty good price without even looking at it. While I don't know where you're at, we are paying a premium for homes like this. We didn't have to before but some realtor setup shop here and decided to specialize in these homes. Therefore, he is getting these people that otherwise would sell cheap and get out, sell for top dollar. Then again these homes here are in a very nice area.

One thing about these homes is when you update, you want to keep it modern as well. I wouldn't tear down any walls that change the look of the home and there are a lot of originality of the homes that I would keep.
    Here's the Zillow link. The street is a little loop off of a pretty desolate split lane road. There were actually a bunch more nicer ones on the street. This was original owner, and it was empty, and I'm guessing he passed and his family was just moving the house, or maybe he went into a home.

It needed some updating. My main issue would be that kitchen. It's hard to visualize, but those kitchen walls are really just propped up for separation, and personally I'dve opened that up into a single giant space.

It looks better in the pictures. It's not quite as isolated as it appears in the pictures.

Definitely a cool place. If it wasn't the combination of being in the middle of nowhere, and the forty minute commute, I would've tried to buy it.

http://www.zillow.com/homedetails/82...57980953_zpid/

Banned

Here's the Zillow link. The street is a little loop off of a pretty desolate split lane road. There were actually a bunch more nicer ones on the street. This was original owner, and it was empty, and I'm guessing he passed and his family was just moving the house, or maybe he went into a home.

It needed some updating. My main issue would be that kitchen. It's hard to visualize, but those kitchen walls are really just propped up for separation, and personally I'dve opened that up into a single giant space.

It looks better in the pictures. It's not quite as isolated as it appears in the pictures.

Definitely a cool place. If it wasn't the combination of being in the middle of nowhere, and the forty minute commute, I would've tried to buy it.

Definitely a cool place and its designed by a famous architect. That alone makes me wanna buy. It looks like they did some upgrades to the house and stopped halfway. I would keep the floors and the wood panel walls. Renovate the 2nd bathroom and change out those kitchen cabinets because it looks newer.

Here in California, at least those in the 'know', we want builds from Joseph Eichler.

Anyways, good luck in your search for a home, whatever style you decide to go for.

rank sentamentalist

i hate it when people use modern as a noun

Definitely a cool place and its designed by a famous architect. That alone makes me wanna buy. It looks like they did some upgrades to the house and stopped halfway. I would keep the floors and the wood panel walls. Renovate the 2nd bathroom and change out those kitchen cabinets because it looks newer.

Here in California, at least those in the 'know', we want builds from Joseph Eichler.

Anyways, good luck in your search for a home, whatever style you decide to go for.

The wood panels for sure would stay. But those tiles on the lower level are actually like a linoleum tile. I'd be inclined to replace them, even if I did it with real tile that looked similar. It was interesting that they re-did the ground floor bathroom, and not the up stairs one where the bedrooms are. But that could be done pretty well. The wood paneling is gorgeous and would be a must keep. The upstairs carpet I'd probably replace, but again with something similar.

One of the only real structural complaints I had was that I wished the fireplace was facing the other direction. It's sort of tucked into a smaller corner area.

Banned

The wood panels for sure would stay. But those tiles on the lower level are actually like a linoleum tile. I'd be inclined to replace them, even if I did it with real tile that looked similar. It was interesting that they re-did the ground floor bathroom, and not the up stairs one where the bedrooms are. But that could be done pretty well. The wood paneling is gorgeous and would be a must keep. The upstairs carpet I'd probably replace, but again with something similar.

One of the only real structural complaints I had was that I wished the fireplace was facing the other direction. It's sort of tucked into a smaller corner area.
    It's linoleum? I didn't get a good look. If that is the case then if I was a buyer, I would rip it out because underneath that linoleum could possibly the original flooring. Could possibly be a concrete floor. Kind of like the epoxy floor garages.

It would look great like this concrete floor...

A lot of times they would have terrazo flooring and half way through the life of the home, owners would put carpet over it or some sort of shag carpet during the 70's....but when you rip the flooring you can see the terrazo flooring like the picture below. Those are priceless and would cost an arm and a leg today. I've been into a few MCM homes with this kind of flooring. My uncle's place sort have this type of flooring.

It's linoleum? I didn't get a good look. If that is the case then if I was a buyer, I would rip it out because underneath that linoleum could possibly the original flooring. Could possibly be a concrete floor. Kind of like the epoxy floor garages.

It would look great like this concrete floor...

A lot of times they would have terrazo flooring and half way through the life of the home, owners would put carpet over it or some sort of shag carpet during the 70's....but when you rip the flooring you can see the terrazo flooring like the picture below. Those are priceless and would cost an arm and a leg today. I've been into a few MCM homes with this kind of flooring. My uncle's place sort have this type of flooring.

Those are awesome. Honestly the pictures in the listing show better than the house looked in person. I was shocked it was linoleum myself. I thought it was gonna be a tile.

Banned

Those are awesome. Honestly the pictures in the listing show better than the house looked in person. I was shocked it was linoleum myself. I thought it was gonna be a tile.
    Most are going to look a lot better in pictures because of the style. I think this type of architecture is very photogenic but at the same time when you see them in person, you sort of get disappointed because its ragged.

Most of them need a face lift....but as you can see, these are amazing homes once you add little things here and there. New door, light fixtures and outdoor lighting can really do wonders to a home.

Banned

Here is a Joseph Eichler

Banned

Follow up on the architect Carl Koch, he was a pioneer in prefab homes. Used beams and walls to slap together the house. That is why it's a rectangular floor plan and took 3 weeks to construct.

After some researching, I have found various models of this particular house.

Here is a similar home designed by Koch and its REMODELED...GET READY FOR THIS

http://www.dwell.com/house-tours/art...hbuilt-house#1

Some original marketing material...

Another Tech Built home....
    Last edited by 9erempiree; 07-28-2015 at 03:06 PM.

Ugly kitsch. I can see an esthetic bent for engineers and people into linear, utilitarian designs but for the most part the only appeal for me is the historical perspective, as in "I can't believe people in the 1950s liked this."

That's pretty awesome. I've been looking into some prefab stuff of late too, and some total knock down properties in the areas I'm more interested in.

I've been really intrigued by this company Homb. What I would want, which would be at least 1500 sq ft, would still be out of my price range though.

http://welcomehomb.com/

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by rufuspaul
    Ugly kitsch. I can see an esthetic bent for engineers and people into linear, utilitarian designs but for the most part the only appeal for me is the historical perspective, as in "I can't believe people in the 1950s liked this."
    Way ahead of its time.

They are still loved today by many. A tasteful remodel can do wonders.

Or would you rather have this cookie cutter shit.....

Give me this and I'm straight....

Quote Originally Posted by rufuspaul

That's interesting, as I am an engineer, and into linear utilitarian design.