Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Dunking on everybody in the park

Default Re: Griffin's Postseason Numbers were 2003 Duncan-esque

Quote Originally Posted by DFish24
    Like I was saying, Griffin played at a level in these playoffs that KG simply never reached.
    I guess you can say that if defense isn't counted.

Not1,Not2,Not3,Not4... ninephive's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ISHGoat
    Yes he had a statistically great post season, but you are doing Duncan a great disservice by comparing this flopping bitch to a legit top 5 GOAT candidate's most iconic playoff run.
    I agree and am certainly not trying to say that Griffin was as good. I was there when the streamers came down in '03, so I saw Duncan's near-quadruple-double in G6 live. I was just surprised to see Blake's RAW numbers at or above Duncan's in several categories.

College superstar

Like I was saying, Griffin played at a level in these playoffs that KG simply never reached.
    2002-03: 27/16/5 on 51% and 1.7bpg 1.7bpg but only 6 games
    2003-04: 24/15/5 on 45% and 1.3spg 2.3bpg through 18 games

KG's like 5 levels above Blake defensively as well.

Very good NBA starter

that shot blocking tho ... still holds the record for most blocks in a Finals series (32 blocks in 6 games; 5.3 blocks per game)

and Tony Parker was just a sophomore in the league with a faulty jumper, averaging only 3.5 assists in the post season, compared to Duncan who lead the Spurs in assists, scoring, rebounding, shotblocking, and FTA's. Duncan at the time was routinely doubled and tripled and was a master at finding the right man out of a post-up.

For perspective on the tail end of that championship run, Tony Parker averaged only 29 mpg / 7 ppg / .26 FG% in the last 3 games of the Finals, while the first back-to-back MVP since Jordan in Tim Duncan averaged 44 mpg / 24 ppg / 18 rpg / 5 apg / 6 bpg / .48 FG% and nearly recorded a quadruple-double in the final game. For a big man like Duncan to play virtually the whole game (had a knack for smart defense and staying out of foul trouble) was huge. Duncan was a beast

Griffin and CP3 is more comparable to prime Amare and Nash, imo.

Tolerant Liberals

Quote Originally Posted by SCdac
    that shot blocking tho ... still holds the record for most blocks in a Finals series (32 blocks in 6 games; 5.3 blocks per game)

and Tony Parker was just a sophomore in the league with a faulty jumper, averaging only 3.5 assists in the post season, compared to Duncan who lead the Spurs in assists, scoring, rebounding, shotblocking, and FTA's. Duncan at the time was routinely doubled and tripled and was a master at finding the right man out of a post-up.

For perspective on the tail end of that championship run, Tony Parker averaged only 29 mpg / 7 ppg / .26 FG% in the last 3 games of the Finals, while the first back-to-back MVP since Jordan in Tim Duncan averaged 44 mpg / 24 ppg / 18 rpg / 5 apg / 6 bpg / .48 FG% and nearly recorded a quadruple-double in the final game. For a big man like Duncan to play virtually the whole game (had a knack for smart defense and staying out of foul trouble) was huge. Duncan was a beast

Very accurate comparison

National High School Star CJ Mustard's Avatar

You should be shot, honestly. I would expect nothing less from a Derek Fisher fan though.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by scm5
    TD also actually played defense. Blake looked checked out on that end for long stretches.
    This. If Ginger had been half the defensive presence prime (or even old) Duncan was, they would've won in 5.

Very good NBA starter

Quote Originally Posted by ISHGoat
    Very accurate comparison
    Griffin's a much better passer and playmaker than Amare I'll readily admit, but in terms of the duo and combination of production it's more comparable i think. Griffin, like Amare, is not an elite defender in the tier of Tim Duncan

Numbers lie. The eye test never fails.
    And even by the numbers we can tell how much better Duncan was on the defensive end. Offensively Griffin was on pair with Duncan but he was also playing in a faster paced league and team.

Postseason numbers that actually matter!

Duncan: 5 rings, 3x FMVP

Griffin: 50 annoying Kia commercials, gone fishin' at conference finals time

NBA Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by CJ Mustard
    You should be shot, honestly. I would expect nothing less from a Derek Fisher fan though.
    Are there enough of them for a group stereotype?

Saw a basketball once

Quote Originally Posted by Optimus Prime
    Postseason numbers that actually matter!

Duncan: 5 rings, 3x FMVP

Griffin: 50 annoying Kia commercials, gone fishin' at conference finals time

Hahahaha, good point, bro.

Not1,Not2,Not3,Not4... ninephive's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SCdac

Yah but he averaged double that for the Finals (at 21 yrs old) and more than double that for the playoffs as a whole. Why do you always cherry-pick a few games? Like why wouldn't you include game 3 of the Finals where he went for 26/6 (4 for 6 from downtown) or game 2 when he went for 21/5 on 53%? Oh, right, because those don't make him look as bad.

I could say, "hey, Duncan only averaged 10 PPG on 39% shooting and played terrible defense (got his soul owned by Zach Randolph) in the last 3 games of the 2011 playoffs (while being a -19 in +/-)," but who cares? That's a cherry-picked stat.

Or Duncan only averaged 12.7 PPG and 8.5 RPG on 48% shooting in the last 3 games of the 2014 Finals. So what? He averaged 19.5 PPG & 12.5 RPG on 67% shooting in the first 2 games. That's why you look at the whole series.
    Last edited by ninephive; 05-19-2015 at 06:27 PM.

Very good NBA starter

Quote Originally Posted by ninephive
    Yah but he averaged double that for the Finals (at 21 yrs old) and more than double that for the playoffs as a whole. Why do you always cherry-pick a few games? Like why wouldn't you include game 3 of the Finals where he went for 26/6 (4 for 6 from downtown) or game 2 when he went for 21/5 on 53%? Oh, right, because those don't make him look as bad.
    it's just about context and perspective, don't get bent out of shape... those were the last 3 games of NBA post-season and pressure ramps up at the end of a series (weren't 3 separate, randomly picked games)... Spurs needed Parker then, and he had big moments for sure, but they obviously needed their MVP and team leader much more. Duncan's production in comparison to Griffin is alot different despite numbers being similar.

Very good NBA starter

Quote Originally Posted by ninephive

I could say, "hey, Duncan only averaged 10 PPG on 39% shooting and played terrible defense (got his soul owned by Zach Randolph) in the last 3 games of the 2011 playoffs (while being a -19 in +/-)," but who cares? That's a cherry-picked stat.

Or Duncan only averaged 12.7 PPG and 8.5 RPG on 48% shooting in the last 3 games of the 2014 Finals. So what? He averaged 19.5 PPG & 12.5 RPG on 67% shooting in the first 2 games. That's why you look at the whole series.
    13 ppg & 9 rpg in 31 mpg for a 38 year old player is nothing to scoff at though ... you're misconstruing why I picked the last few games of a series (2003 Finals - in particular), vs. any few games from any series of any year.