Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Default Re: Possible picks at #4

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Chewing
    Knicks need another scorer besides Melo. WCS is not a scorer the way Okafor is. I wouldn't put too much focus on the defense cause Okafor is such a big body anyway that just by him standing there, he's going to cause trouble for people taking it to the hoop.

All the other guys on that list are two-way players also.
    Need another scorer? Is that why you take Winslow over Russell or porzingis?

I like Winslow a lot. But he is a luxery for a team that can't afford it. Sure he'd be great dirty work player next to Carmelo. It's just that w this pick there will be potential primary option types and you have to take one of the. Sure, Winslow is a safe pick- but the ability to get what he would bring in free agency is a lot greater than to buy what you could get from Russell, porzingis, or WCS

How likely is such a scenario?

Calderon / Shved
    Winslow / Tim / Galloway
    Melo / Acy or Ledo
    Millsap / Jason Smith
    Greg Monroe / Aldrich

College superstar

I do not understand the direction of the Knicks.

In my mind, the #4 pick and Melo can not be on this Knicks team. The team is bad. Either you want to "win now" because of Melo's greatness and age, and thus trade the pick, or you are "tanking" and trade Melo.

If wanting to win, trade #4 to...
    Charlotte for #9 and Kemba?
    Denver for #7 and Lawson (Knicks would also have to add a second, or a decent player, or a future protected first)
    Detroit for Reggie and #8

I think all teams would do those trades. Then You have a player that's more ready to win now than a draftee would be. With the excess cap room, still have space to sign Millsap and a cheap defensive center like Robin Lopez, Kosta Koufos, etc.
    And with the slightly later pick, and a more talented roster, you can be more willing to take a project/unknown, or you can draft a more NBA ready player.

But if you want to keep the pick, and trade Melo? Well... that's a thread for another day.

Quote Originally Posted by kshutts1

In my mind, the #4 pick and Melo can not be on this Knicks team. The team is bad. Either you want to "win now" because of Melo's greatness and age, and thus trade the pick, or you are "tanking" and trade Melo.

Denver for #7 and Lawson (Knicks would also have to add a second, or a decent player, or a future protected first)

I think all teams would do those trades. Then You have a player that's more ready to win now than a draftee would be. With the excess cap room, still have space to sign Millsap and a cheap defensive center like Robin Lopez, Kosta Koufos, etc.
    And with the slightly later pick, and a more talented roster, you can be more willing to take a project/unknown, or you can draft a more NBA ready player.

But if you want to keep the pick, and trade Melo? Well... that's a thread for another day.
    I am afraid that trading the pick would result in sucking up more cap space while having a comparable starting talent.
    I say pick Russell if he's there, or Winslow. They definitely look like they can start already (much more so than WCS).
    And then throw your money at two big men in free agency.

It doesn't have to be one or the other. Using the fourth pick to get a sign and trade for a player no better than what could be had in free agency is stupid.

Lawson and Kemba both bad fits anyway

Quote Originally Posted by Jasi
    How likely is such a scenario?

Calderon / Shved
    Winslow / Tim / Galloway
    Melo / Acy or Ledo
    Millsap / Jason Smith
    Greg Monroe / Aldrich
    Worst case scenario

Would the Knicks get abything for trading down and picking Winslow or are you suggesting taking Winslow at 4?

Winslow is projected at the 5th-6th pick however. What would you get from that? Nothing that really changes the scenario.

As in: draft a guard, sign two FA big men, fill the team.

[QUOTE=kshutts1]I do not understand the direction of the Knicks.

Why do you believe we have to win now with Melo? He's got at least 4 more good years; I see Phil building around him a core that can continue to grow when his time is up. I think people are losing the perspective that this cannot be a "win now" team - it doesn't work, and won't work with NY in particular. Jackson has stated that his goal is to bring respectability back into this organization as the top priority - in other words, he knows we can't contend for another 2 years at least.

There is no quick fix, and Carmelo is willing to wait. Why is this unbelievable to some?

Now the Bledsoe trade with the Suns, that I would like. Love the guy's game and he's not expensive.

College superstar

Quote Originally Posted by smoovegittar
    Why do you believe we have to win now with Melo? He's got at least 4 more good years; I see Phil building around him a core that can continue to grow when his time is up. I think people are losing the perspective that this cannot be a "win now" team - it doesn't work, and won't work with NY in particular. Jackson has stated that his goal is to bring respectability back into this organization as the top priority - in other words, he knows we can't contend for another 2 years at least.

There is no quick fix, and Carmelo is willing to wait. Why is this unbelievable to some?
    What is unbelievable to me is thinking that Melo will be a big difference maker in 4 years.

Melo is 31 now. He's currently a top 10 player in the league.
    In 4 years, he will not be 31... he'll be 35. He will not be a top 10 player in the league. Likely not even top 10 SF.

It is my opinion that teams should capitalize on having such a great advantage. Not many teams have a top 10 player in the league. It makes such little sense to sit on him at the end of his prime and not put a contender around him.

So again.. trade him, or deal the pick for veteran (albeit still young) help.

College superstar

The following likely wouldn't both be done.. one or the other.

Calderon to Minn for Pek and a heavily protected first.
    Minn gets a stable, veteran backup PG and a lot more future cap flexibility.
    Knicks get a low post bruiser to help them compete now. Still have cap space for a max contract, and Aldridge would be a perfect fit.

#4 pick to Thunder for #14, Adams, Lamb and Perry Jones. Asking for both Lamb and Perry may be too much. Might have to settle for just one.
    Thunder off-load some depth and get a high pick where they can choose a longer term project (Mario? Kristaps?).
    Knicks get 2-3 good rotation players and still maintain an OK pick. Still might have cap space for a max contract, but it will be close.

I personally like the second trade...
    Calderon/Galloway/Larkin
    Lamb/THJ (off the bench scoring punch)/Galloway
    Melo/Early/PJ
    Millsap/PJ
    Adams/Myles Turner (#14 pick?)

See some growth from Lamb, PJ, Adams, Galloway and a continued offensive assault from THJ, and that team can do damage.

What is unbelievable to me is thinking that Melo will be a big difference maker in 4 years.

Melo is 31 now. He's currently a top 10 player in the league.
    In 4 years, he will not be 31... he'll be 35. He will not be a top 10 player in the league. Likely not even top 10 SF.

It is my opinion that teams should capitalize on having such a great advantage. Not many teams have a top 10 player in the league. It makes such little sense to sit on him at the end of his prime and not put a contender around him.

It is unbelievable to you that Melo will be a difference maker in 2 years.

Ok then.

College superstar

Quote Originally Posted by smoovegittar
    It is unbelievable to you that Melo will be a difference maker in 2 years.

Ok then.
    I said 4.

Aiming at "2" is just an incredibly short window.

Whatever makes Knicks fans happy though, I guess.

I said 4.

Aiming at "2" is just an incredibly short window.

Whatever makes Knicks fans happy though, I guess.
    I know you said "4". 2 could be lumped in here.

My take - NYC signs Lopez, brings in Russell or Mudiay, gets another few decent role players via free agency and signs another great talent in 2016. This team with Melo can compete with the best the East will have in 2017. I just feel you're singling out Melo here, but it's alright.

NBA rookie of the year Da KO King's Avatar

The following likely wouldn't both be done.. one or the other.

Calderon to Minn for Pek and a heavily protected first.
    Minn gets a stable, veteran backup PG and a lot more future cap flexibility.
    Knicks get a low post bruiser to help them compete now. Still have cap space for a max contract, and Aldridge would be a perfect fit.

#4 pick to Thunder for #14, Adams, Lamb and Perry Jones. Asking for both Lamb and Perry may be too much. Might have to settle for just one.
    Thunder off-load some depth and get a high pick where they can choose a longer term project (Mario? Kristaps?).
    Knicks get 2-3 good rotation players and still maintain an OK pick. Still might have cap space for a max contract, but it will be close.

I personally like the second trade...
    Calderon/Galloway/Larkin
    Lamb/THJ (off the bench scoring punch)/Galloway
    Melo/Early/PJ
    Millsap/PJ
    Adams/Myles Turner (#14 pick?)

See some growth from Lamb, PJ, Adams, Galloway and a continued offensive assault from THJ, and that team can do damage.
    If the Knicks drafted Myles Turner with the 14 I'd be super pissed.