Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011

Default Re: 2015 Tennis French Open

Quote Originally Posted by gigantes
    you don't get the other two?

nadal's / murray's / djoker's half of the draw was pretty clearly the tougher one. you can check it out here.

scheduling was very unfortunate, what with the murray - djoker match being strangely suspended without any rainfall actually occurring. this meant nole didn't get his day of rest like stan did.

oh well... the french hate wawrinka, but they only have themselves to blame for his victory. props to him, tho. he and murray are the only two men to win two slams during the fed - nadal - djokes reign of dominance going back... ten years or something?
    They cant handpick the seeding.. its luck, based on ranking. As far as schedule? Djoker played an hour or so.. meh, not the first one. Final is on Sunday, thats how it is.

   

Quote Originally Posted by ArbitraryWater
    They cant handpick the seeding.. its luck, based on ranking. As far as schedule? Djoker played an hour or so.. meh, not the first one. Final is on Sunday, thats how it is.
    yes, we know all that, but it doesn't change what i said.

and AFAIK the slam tournament directors can use their judgement to make seeding adjustments in some cases. a pretty obvious case could be made for ranking the greatest clay player of all time higher than #6.

again, the french only have themselves to blame for this result.

Quote Originally Posted by BigBoss
    Federer is GOAT
    this and its not even close. At least for basketball and NFL u can make arguments for a couple players..................tennis theres no argument

Quote Originally Posted by BigBoss
    Federer is GOAT
    this and its not even close. At least for basketball and NFL u can make arguments for a couple players..................tennis theres no argument

   

Quote Originally Posted by Hamtaro CP3KDKG
    of course there are arguments against fed = GOAT.

sampras and nadal both can make good cases when you consider more than just majors count.

rod laver crushes fed's stats the way fed does to almost everyone else.

several other guys (emerson, gonzales, etc) are considered by the body of tennis experts to have a strong argument for best ever.
    Last edited by gigantes; 06-07-2015 at 05:37 PM.

Federer's GOAT case is about as weak as you could get in sports. He better be thanking the tennis gods that Nadal's body is breaking down and probably won't pass his slam count, because that's the only thing stopping him from being surpassed before his own retirement. Hell, even though Djokovic lost this final he looks really, really good and doesn't show signs of stopping. He could easily end up with 14-16 if he keeps dominating and have a case of his own.

Federer has been owned for over a decade by Nadal. Completely and utterly SHOOK every time he steps on the court with his biggest rival. You can see it in his face, the guy is defeated the second Nadal walks out of the tunnel and puts his bags and shit on his bench. 30% winning% against Nadal. 30%. In 33 matches over an 11 year span. Huge sample size where he gets shit on routinely. GOAT stuff right there.

It's like Michael Jordan and Hakeem Olajuwon having equal supporting casts throughout their careers, making the finals against each other, and Hakeem dominating him 70% of the time.

Federer at 34 is number 2 ranked in the world.

And people still think he is overrated. He is the GOAT and that is the end of it.

Milbuck, Nadal's body is breaking down because that is his style of play. If he was better in other areas, then he would not have to put so much pressure on his knees. He is the fastest tennis player I have ever seen. And , thus, with that style of play, come many injuries. That is why Fed is the GOAT.

   

is federer automatically the GOAT?

CONS:

- the record for masters tourneys is owned by nadal, right? (or someone else, i forget)
    - singles majors, career titles, season titles are all owned by laver.
    - sampras was better at pure dominance against his rivals than fed.
    - the calendar grand slam is owned by laver (2x). nobody ever did that, not even fed.
    - several other top players played just as well in to old age... for example connors, laver and perhaps agassi.

PROS:

- leader at most weeks at #1, altho that stat only goes back 30+ years.
    - leader at singles grand slam majors (17) over sampras and nadal (14 each).

correct me, confirm me, prove me wrong...
    Last edited by gigantes; 06-07-2015 at 06:56 PM.

One of the Goodfellas NBAplayoffs2001's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by plowking
    Stan was better all match.

Terrible crowd, terrible seeding, terrible schedule by the French Open once again.

When are they going to scrap this one as a major? Probably everyones least favourite tournament.
    When has the French Open ever had a good crowd?

I've been to France. I remember mentioning I'm American and I got some glaring stares.

#yolo

Wow, after slaying the dragon, Djoko lets down like this? I was ready to put him amongst the greats after he won today... he still might get there but this was very disappointing.

But all credit to Stan. I knew he had fight, saw him dismantle Nadal in the Aussie 2014 to basically steal Nadal's show (twice career slam) and ruin his party. He belongs at the top as a dangerous man. When you are 2-0 against Nadal and Djoko in a slam final, you deserve it.

Makes you wonder if Djoko is ever gonna get that career slam.

One of the Goodfellas NBAplayoffs2001's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by imdaman99
    Wow, after slaying the dragon, Djoko lets down like this? I was ready to put him amongst the greats after he won today... he still might get there but this was very disappointing.

But all credit to Stan. I knew he had fight, saw him dismantle Nadal in the Aussie 2014 to basically steal Nadal's show (twice career slam) and ruin his party. He belongs at the top as a dangerous man. When you are 2-0 against Nadal and Djoko in a slam final, you deserve it.

Makes you wonder if Djoko is ever gonna get that career slam.
    Hopefully he doesn't have a Andy Roddick ending of his career in terms of Wimbledon. Roddick was one backhand volley away form winning one . I remember wanting to punch a hole into my wall when I watched this live.

He was always a huge fan favorite at the US Open.