Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Default Re: 2015 Tennis French Open

Quote Originally Posted by The_Yearning
    Tell me, who was Federer beating before Nadal came into the picture? Roddick? Old man Safin? Old man Agassi? Lleyton Hewitt?
    Exactly this. At least Nadal beat prime Federer on his favorite surface. And don't tell me he was no longer in his prime, when he had wins there the year after that. Mr Federer 'the goat' had to have someone else beat Nadal to win a French Open

Quote Originally Posted by The_Yearning
    He was on an unreal run in '11 and lost to Federer of all people at RG. With Novak you can never be certain he can overcome the mental obstacles of being a favorite. He might lose to Murray or even Stan. Nothing is a foregone conclusion at this point. If Nadal had won today, it would have been a foregone conclusion.
    Nah, I believe he has overcome those issues, Boris has bee a great influence.

Quote Originally Posted by gigantes
    i doubt it has much to do with rafa losing his 'mojo.'

rafa said earlier this year that he's not quite the same player any more. his style of play is ultra-punishing, he's been through tonnes of injuries, and he's at the age where most players are retiring.
    Yeah, I meant what you wrote a lot more eloquently

He hasn't lost a step, he's lost about 10 steps. There's a long way down when you go from King of Clay to what he is now. Him in 2008 But that was also 7 years ago. It's only natural.

Facts Are Misleading

I wouldnt be so quick to write off a great champion of Nadals caliber yet.

Facts Are Misleading

I said this few years ago, peak Joker is as good or better than anyone Ive seen.

Best returner ever. Elite movement. Great power/placement on groundstrokes. Good enough serve. I think he will age gracefully as well.

15 titles isnt out of the question he just entered his age 28 season.

Nadal got spanked.

Tsongo vs. Wawrinka could be a fun match. Both guys are rounding into form lately, and both guys are offensive players. I don't see either of these guys beating Murray or Djoker though... not on clay.

NBA lottery pick

Quote Originally Posted by Carbine
    I said this few years ago, peak Joker is as good or better than anyone Ive seen.

Best returner ever. Elite movement. Great power/placement on groundstrokes. Good enough serve. I think he will age gracefully as well.

Losing to Andy Murray in two GS finals negates this talk easily

   

djoker is my man for many reasons... but nadal and federer are legends.
    let's not get ahead of ourselves, okay?

nole bloomed a little bit later than most dominant #1's... we saw reasons why... and that's all good. but let's just see what happens, eh...?

Facts Are Misleading

I don't expect him to get 15 titles because 7 titles after your age 28 year is expecting a lot. But this is a period of time where he could rack them up in a hurry. Like five more titles in 8 slams.

With federer on his last leg, nadal not being the force he was and no young buck ala Rafa in the mid 2000's to seriously threaten Joker for the foreseeable future, it's not entirely out of the question he gets to 15. He's a legend himself.

damn .. someone at cnn is a djokovic fan .. just saw that news ticker they have scrolling at the bottom of the screen .. it said .. "djokovic crushes nadal .. and then in quotes .. the "so called king of clay" had not lost .. " lol

nadal has nothing left to prove anyways .. other than reaching federer's slam count .. he had a ridiculous run at roland garros .. everything comes to an end eventually ..

what did bother me though was that it seemed like nadal checked out in the 3rd set .. looked like he quit .. never seen that happen before ..

djokovic is just a beast right now .. you can't get anything past this guy
    Last edited by dude77; 06-03-2015 at 05:01 PM.

Djoker is pretty clearly on peds. But damn is he good. His serve is his only real weakness now that the peds fixed the stamina issues.

   

I don't expect him to get 15 titles because 7 titles after your age 28 year is expecting a lot. But this is a period of time where he could rack them up in a hurry. Like five more titles in 8 slams.

With federer on his last leg, nadal not being the force he was and no young buck ala Rafa in the mid 2000's to seriously threaten Joker for the foreseeable future, it's not entirely out of the question he gets to 15. He's a legend himself.
    none of them are even close to rod laver's records, so i wouldn't worry about it too much.

rearranging deck chairs on the titanic...

Nobody in a recent future will be able to beat Nadal's streak on clay anyway, so congrats and happy birth day man!

   

Quote Originally Posted by ArbitraryWater
    He was seriously competitive in the first 2 sets, could have gone either way, unlucky draw too, this early.. usually gets better as the tourney goes on.

In the 3rd, down 0-2, lost the next 2 games at 30-40 on a Djokovic netball each time..
    no it wasn't.

no it didn't.

no dude... rafa was not close to competitive in that match.

Quote Originally Posted by gigantes
    no it wasn't.

no it didn't.

no dude... rafa was not close to competitive in that match.
    yes he was... how were the first two sets not competitive? 3rd set it got away, 2 lucky netballs had to do with that, but thats where Novak had a clear grip on it.