Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456
    NBA sixth man of the year Micku's Avatar

Default Re: In your opinion, was Kobe a better shooter than Jordan?

Quote Originally Posted by OldSchoolBBall
    Kobe was better outside 23 feet. Jordan was better everywhere else. As you get 21 feet and in, Jordan's edge gets larger and larger the close in you get. All the data we have shows MJ to be an all-time level midrange shooter. The data shows only that Kobe is good, not all-time level. Jordan was automatic from midrange.

IIRC, MJ was in the 47-50% range from midrange for the years/stretches we have data for, while Kobe is in the 43-45% range.
    Yeah, we do got data from his 97, 98 and 02, 03 years.

It was on nba.com. I don't know if it's there anymore (going to check), but he shot about 49% from midrange. That's dirk levels. I don't think Kobe has ever shot that well. In 98 it was about 43% or something?

(after checking)
    So, they changed it, but you can still check out their shooting stats. Go to nba player stats sortable, and click the shooting stat. If anyone is up for the challenge, you can look at the Kobe stats and compare.

Anyhow MJ from 97:
    MJ from 20-24 ft. shot 39.6% with 3.7 FGA.
    MJ from 15-19ft shot 49.5% with 7.2 FGA.
    MJ from 10-14 ft shot 51.5% with 5.7 FGA.
    http://stats.nba.com/league/player/#...t.%20FGA&dir=1

As I said, Dirkish level of midrange efficiency. I don't think Kobe has ever shot that well there, but correct me if I'm wrong.

In 98 and onwards, that's when MJ shot more Kobe levels imo.
    20-24 ft. shot 38.5% with 2.2 FGA
    15-19 ft. shot 42.8% with 7.4 FGA
    10-14 ft. shot 45.5% with 5.1 FGA

Now you could argue that maybe the shorten line helped him or that 97 was probably MJ's peak at midrange since we don't have the numbers before then. But I dunno. In 92, MJ basically lived at the midrange game from what I seen. He shot a better percentage from the field, so I assume he was better. Plus he had more lift with his jumpshot.

Anyhow as ppl already said:

Kobe>MJ at range.

MJ>Kobe at midrange.

Kobe is a bit better at the 3pt too and is better at FTs every so slightly. MJ doesn't really take 3s, and but is solid at it when he takes 3 or more. Kobe takes at a higher chip and still manage to have a slightly higher % than MJ.

And also like what other ppl said, Kobe's great at midrange and is elite. But MJ is among Dirk, Nash, and a short list of others as being one of the best we ever seen/recorded at the midrange.
    Last edited by Micku; 06-23-2015 at 06:42 PM.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer 3ball's Avatar

no one would ever say Kobe was the best jumpshooter in the NBA.. that thought would never cross anyone's mind - he's never been viewed as a lights-out shooter, from ANY distance.

whereas, MJ was lights-out shooter, which is why various people have said MJ was the best shooter in the game - it's not outlandish to say that about MJ, but it is for Kobe.

Jerry West said MJ was the the best jumpshooter in the game (last sentence, 2nd paragraph)... Ron Artest said MJ's shooting was accurate like Reggie Miller's (and that MJ was the hardest to guard).. Artest would never say that about Kobe, because Kobe's shot wasn't nearly as accurate - plain and simple (that's part of the reason his FG% was always significantly worse).

Btw, MJ has the best shooting form I've ever seen... It's flawless.. That's why he had the capacity to shoot 3's at an elite level when needed (41% on 3-pointers in Finals for 1st three peat, 1991-1993).. But MJ didn't need the 3-point shot to be the greatest scorer of all time - whereas today's player NEEDS the 3-point shot to even average 20+ PPG.

I doubt MJ would need to shoot a bunch of 3-pointers to be the best player today - in 2010, Wade averaged 30 PPG and had his best season without shooting the 3-pointer, and MJ is better than Wade in every way.. But if MJ needed the 3-point shot to be the best player in today's game, he'd quickly become one of the best 3-point shooters itl.. That's just the mentality he had - and again, his form was flawless - the best I've ever seen (something no one talks about, but you'd actually EXPECT the goat's form to be perfect).
    Last edited by 3ball; 06-23-2015 at 06:46 PM.

NBA rookie of the year

Quote Originally Posted by Micku
    Yeah, we do got data from his 97, 98 and 02, 03 years.

It was on nba.com. I don't know if it's there anymore (going to check), but he shot about 49% from midrange. That's dirk levels. I don't think Kobe has ever shot that well. In 98 it was about 43% or something?

(after checking)
    So, they changed it, but you can still check out their shooting stats. Go to nba player stats sortable, and click the shooting stat. If anyone is up for the challenge, you can look at the Kobe stats and compare.

Anyhow MJ from 97:
    MJ from 20-24 ft. shot 39.6% with 3.7 FGA.
    MJ from 15-19ft shot 49.5% with 7.2 FGA.
    MJ from 10-14 ft shot 51.5% with 5.7 FGA.

As I said, Dirkish level of midrange efficiency. I don't think Kobe has ever shot that well there, but correct me if I'm wrong.

In 98 and onwards, that's when MJ shot more Kobe levels imo.
    20-24 ft. shot 38.5% with 2.2 FGA
    15-19 ft. shot 42.8% with 7.4 FGA
    10-14 ft. shot 45.5% with 5.1 FGA

Now you could argue that maybe the shorten line helped him or that 97 was probably MJ's peak at midrange since we don't have the numbers before then. But I dunno. In 92, MJ basically lived at the midrange game from what I seen. He shot a better percentage from the field, so I assume he was better. Plus he had more lift with his jumpshot.

Anyhow as ppl already said:

Kobe>MJ at range.

MJ>Kobe at midrange.

Kobe is a bit better at the 3pt too and is better at FTs every so slightly. MJ doesn't really take 3s, and but is solid at it when he takes 3 or more. Kobe takes at a higher chip and still manage to have a slightly higher % than MJ.

And also like what other ppl said, Kobe's great at midrange and is elite. But MJ is among Dirk, Nash, and a short list of others as being one of the best we ever seen/recorded at the midrange.
    Jordan had a cracked knuckle and torn ligament on the index finger of his shooting hand which badly hampered his shooting for like the first 15-20 games of the 1998 season until he adjusted his form to compensate. I'd be interested in what the numbers were from game 20 onward.

Also, PHILA's 1990-1992 Jordan stats (130 games overall, link here: http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=317950) showed that he was at 51% in the midrange, and 47% in the playoffs (link: http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=292414). Some selection bias is possible, but even if you drop him a couple of percentage points that's still all-time level. Quote here:

126 Games Total

http://i.imgur.com/g3XPS5u.png

1989-90: 35 games
    1990-91: 44 games
    1991-92: 47 games

Shot Chart

At Rim: 629/847 FG (74.3%)
    In Paint (Overall): 786/1333 FG (59.0%)
    Midrange: 793/1552 FG (51.1%)
    3 Point: 93/243 FG (38.3%)

NBA sixth man of the year Micku's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by OldSchoolBBall
    Jordan had a cracked knuckle and torn ligament on the index finger of his shooting hand which badly hampered his shooting for like the first 15-20 games of the 1998 season until he adjusted his form to compensate. I'd be interested in what the numbers were from game 20 onward.

Also, PHILA's 1990-1992 Jordan stats (130 games overall, link here: http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=317950) showed that he was at 51% in the midrange, and 47% in the playoffs (link: http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=292414). Some selection bias is possible, but even if you drop him a couple of percentage points that's still all-time level. Quote here:
    Yeah. It's honestly pretty amazing, especially with the high volume of shots he used to take. I am curious of what other ppl used to shoot from there tho. Apparently the midrange game got lost over time, so I assume there are others who are great at the midrange like Alex English or something.

Regardless, MJ seems like at a all time level at the midrange. And as you said, he was hurt in 98, but still manged to be elite. His midrange numbers was the same in 02 and 03. Elite, but not all time like he was in 97 and probably below.

Banned

The only place Kobe can consistently release more shots is in Colorado

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer warriorfan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dubeta
    The only place Kobe can consistently release more shots is in Colorado

Quote Originally Posted by pauk
    Kobe was the closest thing to Jordan only visually... you know starting with same size/position, to gamestyle, to mannerisms... and he didnt keep that intention as a secret at all....

But dont get confused.... even though Kobe was great Jordan was everything Kobe was AND MUCH MORE of literally all of it... except for i guess 3pt% & ft%...
    Your probably like 20 and never seen Jordan play. Jordan had weaknesses just like EVERY ATHLETE in their sport. Kobe was a better shooter.