Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    ~the original p.tiddy~ ~primetime~'s Avatar

Default Re: But how good can a steak really get?

Quote Originally Posted by Rondooooooooooo
    I hate the Rave seen, but I would highly consider going to EDC next year just to party all weekend. From what I have heard/seen, it is the place to be........
    I feel like an old man not knowing about it...but it is definitely the wildest party scene I have ever witnessed. It was a 'Woodstock' sized rave and every female close to naked...Everywhere you look is a half naked chick. It would have been heaven for me if I was still a young single partyer.

Bryan Cranston aka Walter White Pushes The Button

Local High School Star HitandRun Reggie's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ShackEelOKneel
    I never eat the leftovers of strangers, but a place like that would be the exception.

They weren't leftovers off their plates! That's nasty. It was a banquet hall, that served the same pre-made dishes to 95% of the people in ballrooms(unless they requested a chicken, fish or vegetarian dish). The kitchen always made extras plates, plus the cooks were all cool Norwegians who made sure there was enough leftover for the staff to eat.

College superstar

I tear up some steak tartare, steak sashimi, and some kitfo.

Quote Originally Posted by ~primetime~
    I was there for the WSOP...I had no idea EDC was going on

EDC is one of the most insane things I have ever witnessed though...basically half of Vegas was walking around near naked on Ecstasy...the entire city was a giant rave. I didn't even know the rave scene had gotten that popular, wtf.

Girls in g-strings everywhere though...
    It's 1989 all over again

Quote Originally Posted by Nanners
    I basically agree.

The thing is when you buy a $100 steak at a five star restaurant, you arent paying that extra money because the steak tastes twice as good as a $50 steak, you are paying extra for the entire fine dining experience - the restaurants ambiance, the high quality service, the fancy cutlery... etc.
    But also (supposedly) you're paying for the consistency of taste. Anyone can make a filthy awesome steak once or twice. But to consistently do it, you need a very tight selection process over your beef, the right way to store it and a chef who knows how to handle it consistently. In short, you are also paying for those careful details in the process.

Of course, price is never a guarantee but it's an indication.

NBA sixth man of the year Thorpesaurous's Avatar

I'm a big believer in the dry aging of beef. It really gets the meat to its peak tenderness. And I'm willing to pay for it. I go to NY at least four times a year where super high end red meat is one of the driving motivations of the trip. My annual big east trip included, where each year as teams get less appealing, my buddy and I find ourselves saying, "but there's always the steak".

Whole foods is an upper class grocery store around here that carries dry aged stuff, and it isn't cheap. I spent almost 300 bucks on a giant dry aged prime rib from there last football season. I cannot say that I wasn't nervous cooking it, but it came out great.

I'm also however nowhere near snooty enough to suggest that even the loudest cut of meat can't be made great in the right hands.

High School Starter

I had a $120 steak before. It was a 12 oz wagyu sirloin m9.
    Biggest waste of money. Sadly, it was my second time at this restaurant when I tried this steak.
    The previous time I had a $70 steak and IT WAS UTTER SHIIT and i only went back cause i recall they had a more $$ steak so that one must be the good one..and i was wrong.

The reason why i liked the place was because of the ambience..one of my fav interiors. The restaurant is called The Blue Butcher..a steakhouse. And their steaks are CRAP

I've had steaks that were $25 that were A LOT better.
    Last edited by VeeCee15; 06-23-2015 at 08:36 PM.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

The best steaks are from the farmer's market usually.

Salt those babies up and let them get to room temp (45 min to an hour) then splash some pepper and oliver oil on. I dont have a grill at the moment so 2 minutes each side and she's golden. Medium rare or gtfo

NBA sixth man of the year KyrieTheFuture's Avatar

I wish I could eat steak, it doesn't taste good enough for how sick it makes me

Very good NBA starter DukeDelonte13's Avatar

I hate when some places slather the F*ck out of steaks with butter.

Ribeye >

Medium well

Since we're on the subject of steaks, how can people eat this and not be cooked all the way? I don't want no blood in my meat. If I want some raw food, I'll get some sushi.

Local High School Star HitandRun Reggie's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Draz
    Ribeye >

Medium well

Yummmmm. Grilled ribeye lightly brushed with olive oil and rubbed with a healthy dose of

Then grilled just enough that the outside is a little crusty and there's no more than a 1/3" of brown on the outside.