Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    NBA sixth man of the year

Default Re: Batum to Hornets

Risky move for Charlotte, though I'm not too high on Vonleh. Batum and MKG together is intriguing.

Oddly, I've liked both of the Hornets moves so far this offseason. Not sure what the Lamb/Barnes deal actually looks like, but that's another good one in light of picking up Batum. I wondered why it was being said that Charlotte wouldn't hold onto Barnes. Lamb is worth a flier and should actually get a chance to play finally.

I don't see how anybody could 'like' trading one of the only promising young pieces on a bad team and selling out to try to get the 8 seed.

I've been on that treadmill before, it's not a good place to be.

Quote Originally Posted by hawksdogsbraves
    I don't see how anybody could 'like' trading one of the only promising young pieces on a bad team and selling out to try to get the 8 seed.

I've been on that treadmill before, it's not a good place to be.
    MKG and Zeller are both still young and with a fair amount of potential. They also still have Kemba. Solid veterans in Jefferson, Hawes, Batum, and Marv Williams. Also still have the 9th pick tomorrow. I agree that this looks like a 6-8 seed, but maybe that's just the next logical step after the year they had. Again, I was never all that impressed with Vonleh and he doesn't seem to have any fire. I think that was just a bad pick, but I guess we'll see.

Jonathan Givony ‏@DraftExpress 23 seconds ago

Told Charlotte had concerns about Noah Vonleh's acclimation to NBA. Had difficulties picking up on plays. Questions about his feel for game.
    Seems Charlotte organization was not impressed after getting their hands on Vonleh.
    Last edited by fatboy11; 06-24-2015 at 08:05 PM.

vonleh only played 25 games, and even before the draft, we knew that he would take time to develop

batum is surely gone after this year, unless charlotte want to overpay him.

i guess portland doesnt think batum is worthwhile, so thats why they dumped him, i dont know why charlotte did this trade. i guess they just want to get mediocre and stay there

Jonathan Givony ‏@DraftExpress 2 minutes ago

Had heard some reports that Jeremy Lamb was on the trading block (along with Perry Jones). Lack of intensity and work ethic didn't fit in.
    Seems like Lamb has some of the same issues as Vonleh.

I was kinda meh about the trade but reading more about it I love it. That Vonleh kid looks promising and he's young. Similar build to Batum but this kid attacks the paint and crashes the boards. One thing I hated about Batum is he always looked tired. This guy played for the French national team.

Good trade for Portland. I hear this also give Blazers financial flexibility.

I give Olshey an A for getting this done.

Quote Originally Posted by PJR
    Charlotte is a disaster under MJ. And will continue to be one.

Asians just arent smart when it comes to basketball. Cho, Lin, Yao Jianaling etc

Decent college freshman

I don't exactly love this trade for Charlotte because either they wasted a lotto pick on Vonleh or they overpay for Batum next summer. This team has a ceiling of a 6 seed imo and can maybe win a round in the playoffs, but I doubt it.

I like the effort to land a wing but this seems like a kinda high price. Maybe Vonleh struggles BBIQ-wise, and I won't act like I know if he does/doesn't.

Charlotte seems like it needs to really bottom out after next year though. I doubt Big Al, Marvin Williams, Batum, etc. stay beyond next year barring overpaying. I think Hornets should have built more carefully.

If Portland loses LMA, this is a pretty good return for Portland. Batum would have left next summer either way. If LMA stays, not like they can't use these new pieces in a future trade or anything. I'm higher on Batum than Henderson though, disparity in contracts aside.

Such a ****ing shit move by the Hornets. Not only is Henderson A MUCH BETTER player than Batum but you throw in your lottery pick from last yr? Why tf would you draft the kid in the first place if he looked like a project?

Quote Originally Posted by FreezingTsmoove
    Such a ****ing shit move by the Hornets. Not only is Henderson A MUCH BETTER player than Batum but you throw in your lottery pick from last yr? Why tf would you draft the kid in the first place if he looked like a project?
    The knew he was a project coming in.

It looks like a case of the GM knows his job is on the line if the can't make the playoffs, so he's going all in on that 8 seed.

Decent college freshman

Quote Originally Posted by hawksdogsbraves
    The knew he was a project coming in.

It looks like a case of the GM knows his job is on the line if the can't make the playoffs, so he's going all in on that 8 seed.
    I remember them selecting him partly b/c they didn't expect for him to drop that much. If they didn't do their homework on him knowing he's going to take time, then they blew that draft if they couldn't wait for him to develop. Actually they blew that pick regardless lol. I like Batum, but I don't see any reason he'd stay there beyond an overpay.

I agree that the GM is def chasing a bottom seed to save his job. It's pretty bad though. They went risky last year landing Vonleh & PJ Hairston. How safe will they play this draft? If they take Kaminsky @ 9...

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Myth's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BlakFrankWhite
    Batum is so underrated.

Would have loved him at OKC...tough as nails, good defender, can play two postions...also a good playmaker
    He has a ridiculously diverse skillset, but he lacks the heart to make him a scary player. That combo means he gets overpaid because people hope his heart starts up, but year after year he has been disappointing. Heck, Chandler Parsons, who is much more limited in skill, outplayed him in the playoffs a couple years ago. I remember 1 year since his newest contract where I was OK with him.

My biggest disappointment is that I think we could have got more if he were traded years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by PJR
    Let's see how much you like this deal when Batum bolts in unrestricted free agency in 2016. No way in hell is he signing his life away in Charlotte lmao.

Horrible deal for the Hornets.
    I like it. Clears up cap room.

Nuggets/Avs/Broncos. NuggetsFan's Avatar

Vonleh will be the deciding factor. He's got potential but if Charlotte see's him busting and used his value from the draft to get Batum than it'll be fine. If Charlotte was just looking to add a few extra wins and Vonleh reaches his potential than I don't really like it and it'll look pretty stupid.

Decent college freshman

Quote Originally Posted by rufuspaul
    I like it. Clears up cap room.
    Henderson, Williams, and Big Al expire after the 2015-2016 season. Charlotte was going to wipe out like $27M off the books regardless. Heck, before the Lance trade, there were going to have even less on the cap sheet unless Hawes gets moved once more.

Edit: Basically, Charlotte would have had mega bucks to spend next summer without any of these trades this summer. Their activity suggests their GM is desperate.