Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: DeMarre Carroll to the Raptors

Quote Originally Posted by longtime lurker
    Overpay. Carroll isn't going to move the needle much if at all.
    Kinda agreed to this. Should have been 4/40. Off Hawks squad he basically is #5 of its regular starter. Now he gets paid like #3.

I love Demarre but I think you might see he was much more effective in our offense than in the iso ball garbage system the Raptors play.

Fire Dwane Casey

Hawks fans give me the report on Carroll. I know he's a 3+D guy but how pivotal was he to your success this past season?

Quote Originally Posted by GoRapz
    Hawks fans give me the report on Carroll. I know he's a 3+D guy but how pivotal was he to your success this past season?
    Hugely impactful. Guarded the other team's best wing all season, he'll help you immensely there.

He's a 3 and D guy but he can put it on the floor a bit, like I said before though he fit really well in our system so we'll have to see how he fits in yours.

Great locker room guy and a fan favorite too, he's awesome. $15 mil seems steep but that's just the nature of this offseason.

Quote Originally Posted by GoRapz
    Very much so. Great defender and shooter as you mentioned, always cutting to the basket, underrated finisher around the rim, good rebounder. He's a very good player. He showed flashes when he had 6 or 7 straight 20+ point games in the playoffs

NBA sixth man of the year

They have Terrance Ross, why do they need Carroll? And at $15 mil? WTF?

NBA lottery pick

Quote Originally Posted by Dro
    Terrance Ross regressed horribly last season, and he just doesn't have the size to match up with a lot of the better SF in this league.

Quote Originally Posted by hawksdogsbraves
    I love Demarre but I think you might see he was much more effective in our offense than in the iso ball garbage system the Raptors play.
    I get the feeling Lou won't be back, which I hope would help get the ball moving a little more on offense. It is an issue though, still not high on Casey running this team.

Fire Dwane Casey

Because Ross is going to be playing in China after his rookie deal is up

Ross has been absolutely pitiful and for a long drawn out stretch now. His defense is terribly overrated, his shot is more streaky than JR's, he dribbles like he's got feet for hands and he has a phobia for the paint.

15 mill is steep but I think we're starting to see the effects of the ascended cap.

National High School Star

Quote Originally Posted by Kungfro
    Terrance Ross regressed horribly last season, and he just doesn't have the size to match up with a lot of the better SF in this league.

I get the feeling Lou won't be back, which I hope would help get the ball moving a little more on offense. It is an issue though, still not high on Casey running this team.
    Terrance Ross is still young though so there is still potential to be reached, although he didn't have a great year and I agree doesn't have the size to match up with a lot of the SF's out there.

As for Lou, I'm not sure how much of a problem he was as compared to the fact the coach allowed him and the others to play that brand of basketball. It was awful. I honestly cringe more when I see Derozan play that way though.

Quote Originally Posted by BurningHammer
    Kinda agreed to this. Should have been 4/40. Off Hawks squad he basically is #5 of its regular starter. Now he gets paid like #3.
    The Raptors still need to make more moves if they want to compete, which you assume they do given this signing. I don't know where this leaves us cap wise though?

Quote Originally Posted by Kungfro

I mean Carroll will still have value as a 3&D guy, but he gets a lot of his points on backdoor cuts and stuff like that which may not be there in a different system.

Despite the over pay, it's not really that bad with the cap sky rocketing after next season, this is a really good signing.

A huge upgrade over Ross. The wing defender/shooter we needed. Hopefully we don't see a slide in performance as the Hawks played a great offensive system.

As long as we use Carroll the right way, he'll be a solid addition. Not worried about him defensively. He's instantly our best defensive player.

Let's see what Masai does with the remaining limited cap space. Lou Will is gone for sure now.

Getting LMA was a pipe dream (I think it's a lock that he signs with the Spurs) . We were never going to sign a star.

Quote Originally Posted by hawksdogsbraves
    I mean Carroll will still have value as a 3&D guy, but he gets a lot of his points on backdoor cuts and stuff like that which may not be there in a different system.
    I'm not expecting the Raptors to run the same system considering how miserably it failed in the playoffs last year and the direction the league is going in.

College superstar

Carroll strikes me as a high end "glue guy". Can make a huge difference on a contending team. Not sure he moves the needle too much for Toronto, but if they make some moves to get a more legit post presence (or if Val really kills it this year) then they could be a legit team.

I'm not a huge Raptors fan, so correct me if I'm wrong, but the starting lineup of Lowry, Derozan, Carroll, Patterson, Val is pretty solid. Pretty good skill sets there and, with the exception of Val, a lot of versatility there.