Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    NBA Legend and Hall of Famer DMAVS41's Avatar

Default Re: Report: Wes Matthews agrees to principal on a 4 year deal with Dallas

Quote Originally Posted by SexSymbol
    same could be said about his level of play when he comes back.
    I hope he's good, I like dallas, but I personally wouldn't risk 52 mil on a surgery affected non-superstar
    but that is my point.

you can't look at this signing in a vacuum....even doing that there is too much unknown.

and it's not risky for the Mavs at this point because without that signing we are cooked anyway...still might be unfortunately.

you can grade most signings because there are usually a lot of known factors from both the team and players perspective.

here? we don't know anything really yet.

Magic Johnson

Default Re: Report: Wes Matthews agrees to principal on a 4 year deal with Dallas

Quote Originally Posted by DMAVS41
    but that is my point.

you can't look at this signing in a vacuum....even doing that there is too much unknown.

and it's not risky for the Mavs at this point because without that signing we are cooked anyway...still might be unfortunately.

you can grade most signings because there are usually a lot of known factors from both the team and players perspective.

here? we don't know anything really yet.
    I mean if it's a disaster you can always flip Matthews to the Kings for Cousins and 10 future first round picks.

High School Starter

Ellis>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Matthews. They don't have a point either.Who will replace Chandler? they look really bad right now

How does my Dirk taste creepingdeath's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by disel
    Ellis>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Matthews. They don't have a point either.Who will replace Chandler? they look really bad right now
    Nope. Ellis can't shoot, was the worst defender of last season's Mavs (which speaks volumes about Dallas' D) and wants to be the man too badly. I liked him on the Mavs, but not in the role he was forced into due to the roster.

As to the Matthews signing... the Mavs FO had to do something. They're pretty much All-In this offseason. If DJ doesn't sign with Dallas, the FO has basically pissed away Dirk's last 7 years of his career.

Decent playground baller

The salary is good if he returns to form.

Banned

Horrible signing for Dallas.

Replacing their best player with a guy who's at best 40% as good as him and is coming off the most serious injury possible.

What is his salary?

Anybody got sauces?

Quote Originally Posted by creepingdeath
    Nope. Ellis can't shoot, was the worst defender of last season's Mavs (which speaks volumes about Dallas' D) and wants to be the man too badly. I liked him on the Mavs, but not in the role he was forced into due to the roster.

As to the Matthews signing... the Mavs FO had to do something. They're pretty much All-In this offseason. If DJ doesn't sign with Dallas, the FO has basically pissed away Dirk's last 7 years of his career.
    This....although I disagree a little about Ellis and his shooting...his mid range shot definitely was trending in the right direction since he came to Dallas.

But the general idea of this post is dead on.

I get a lot of what we've done, but if we lose out on DJ...this has been an utter disaster. And the worst part about it....there will be no defending our moves since that Spurs series in 14.

I understand the moves in 12...they made sense and tried to be ahead of the curve....and while it didn't work in 12 (**** you Odom) and 13....we build something real nice in 14.

It'd be a shame to give up on that to overpay Parsons for 2 years (dude could be gone or we give him full max...not sure which one is better) and lock in a huge deal with a 29 year old role player coming off a terrible injury.

Like I've repeatedly said...I'll wait and see what happens, but if this doesn't work...it's been an utter disaster...which has sadly been the norm from the Mavs around Dirk outside a couple seasons of his entire prime.

Clippers could use Larry Sanders right now.

Very good NBA starter

Not horrible, not amazing imo. I like Matthews' game but he's streaky and doesn't pack the scoring punch of an Ellis. Even if they get DJ, who's a very low scorer, it's asking alot of Dirk to be leading the team in scoring at this point in his career (I'm assuming it'd be between him and Parsons).

Quote Originally Posted by SCdac
    Not horrible, not amazing imo. I like Matthews' game but he's streaky and doesn't pack the scoring punch of an Ellis. Even if they get DJ, who's a very low scorer, it's asking alot of Dirk to be leading the team in scoring at this point in his career (I'm assuming it'd be between him and Parsons).
    Yep.

The plan is for Parsons to take on that role. And I'm extremely skeptical that he can do that...although a team of Wes, Dirk, Jordan....with like Mo/Harris at point guard is about the ideal team for Parsons.

If he can't do it in that situation...he simply can't do it.

Hopefully we get to find out...no DJ...and it's an utter disaster imo...at least short term.

And our bench...could be horrific if DJ comes. Right now it's basically Felton, Anderson, Powell (not one of those guys would I want playing more than 12 minutes per game)

There is some creative stuff we can do...I think we can bring back Barea and still have our room exception (not sure on this) and I'm almost positive we'd have that biannual exception.

The question I have and don't know the answer...is could the Mavs do a sign and trade involving Ellis and Hibbert (obviously the Pacers would want to do this) and then do the same thing if DJ says he wants to come to Dallas with the Clippers. I'm assuming the Clippers would rather have Hibbert on a 1 year deal than get nothing back for losing DJ as that would be the only way they bet back anything... a sign and trade. If Dallas could include Felton to either the Pacers or Clippers (maybe Clippers as that could be our asking price for giving them a much better option than nothing)...then this has a chance to be amazing.

First thing is getting DJ, but now the more that I think about it, if the above is possible in the CBA (don't know that) then this Mavs team could actually be a lot better than I earlier thought.

If the Mavs could do that...then we could retain enough cap space to add some real players.

Either way...still gonna rely on vet minimum contracts though.

But damn....please come DJ...please.
    Last edited by DMAVS41; 07-03-2015 at 02:11 PM.