Page 1 of 9 1234 ... LastLast
    Made that high school varsity squad Westbrook0's Avatar

Default I'm sorry but watching this video, how can anyone say Wilt could hang in today's NBA?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8xr3i9jpiTE

This is *THE* ultimate Wilt highlight reel?

Half of his points are him jumping up and reaching out over the smaller defender's head to finger roll it in. That shot would get absolutely destroyed by any modern defender. He doesn't even use his body to protect his shot, and he doesn't lean into his defenders or make contact at all. He simply out-talls and out-athletes them. Can you imagine Wilt trying that against Mutombo, Shaq, Ewing, Davis, Ibaka, DeAndre Jordan, etc? He'd get nowhere.

And yes, before you say it, I know that's Bill Russell in most of those highlights. But what does that tell you about Russell as well if he can't even stop a guy that has no post moves? Russell isn't even jumping on most of these.

This ****ing weak-ass era.

I have Wilt and Russell in my top 10 all-time, but SOLELY because of his dominance over the competition at the time (Wilt) and for being the ultimate winner (Russell).

In today's game, Wilt would average something like 17 and 9. Russell would average even less than that.

Default Re: I'm sorry but watching this video, how can anyone say Wilt could hang in today's NBA?

Ah, the joys of ignorance...

Default Re: I'm sorry but watching this video, how can anyone say Wilt could hang in today's NBA?

Quote Originally Posted by BoutPractice
    Ah, the joys of ignorance...
    What's it like? Tell me more.

College superstar

Quote Originally Posted by Westbrook0

New to ISH?

Half of his points are him jumping up and reaching out over the smaller defender's head to finger roll it in. That shot would get absolutely destroyed by any modern defender. He doesn't even use his body to protect his shot, and he doesn't lean into his defenders or make contact at all. He simply out-talls and out-athletes them. Can you imagine Wilt trying that against Mutombo, Shaq, Ewing, Davis, Ibaka, DeAndre Jordan, etc? He'd get nowhere.

And yes, before you say it, I know that's Bill Russell in most of those highlights. But what does that tell you about Russell as well if he can't even stop a guy that has no post moves? Russell isn't even jumping on most of these.

I have Wilt and Russell in my top 10 all-time, but SOLELY because of his dominance over the competition at the time (Wilt) and for being the ultimate winner (Russell).

In today's game, Wilt would average something like 17 and 9. Russell would average even less than that.
    Even though we only have 2% of Wilt's NBA footage, and none in which he put up 40+ points (which he did 271 times BTW)...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rCWrGWuU2Ak

and if you really want to take the time...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G94iJr8ZbzM

So, YES, Chamberlain would be dominating in TODAY's NBA.

High School Varsity 6th Man Dr. Ice's Avatar

If roy hibbert's unathletic and untalented self could be a major cog on a playoff team just because of his height, then wilt could easily be a threat in the nba

Quote Originally Posted by LAZERUSS
    Even though we only have 2% of Wilt's NBA footage, and none in which he put up 40+ points (which he did 271 times BTW)...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rCWrGWuU2Ak

and if you really want to take the time...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G94iJr8ZbzM

So, YES, Chamberlain would be dominating in TODAY's NBA.

OK I just watched the first one in its entirety.

Did you notice that not one time, in that entire video, did Wilt use his left hand? Not once. Even when "driving" left. Even when shooting over his right shoulder with his back to the basket.

If you go over your right shoulder with your right hand today, that's an automatic rejection. Especially if you don't body up the defender. And the little guys trying to block him were barely getting their wrist above the rim. In fact, almost no one even DID jump trying to block his shots. Even Russell and Kareem mostly stayed on the ground when Wilt went up. Today he'd be dealing with 7-foot athletes who are not only stronger than him, but who are getting their chins up to the rim, and their hands up near the top of the backboard.

Imagine this:

versus this:

or this:

or this:

or this:

Last edited by Westbrook0; 07-04-2015 at 04:48 PM.

In Kevin Durant's last full season, he averaged 32 points on 10/20 shooting.

In Wilt's highest-scoring season, he averaged 50.4 on 20/40 shooting.

Bump Kevin Durant's FGA up to the same amount as Wilt's and (without the butterfly effect) he's averaging 64. In the modern NBA, not in an incredibly weak era.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Ice
    If roy hibbert's unathletic and untalented self could be a major cog on a playoff team just because of his height, then wilt could easily be a threat in the nba
    A threat to score 16-18 a night? Absolutely.

Do you realize that DeAndre Jordan, a guy with ZERO offensive arsenal manages to average 11.5 ppg and make a sky-high percentage of his FGA's by just being athletic enough to finish dozens upon dozens of alley-oop dunks over practically ZERO defenders? And that a guy with a somewhat improved offensive arsenal and size, but still nowhere near Wilt's, is a constant 20 ppg scorer on close to 60% FG's (Dwight)? What are all these "awesome" defenders doing instead of stopping these guys from shooting 60% or 70% from the field and being double-double machines?
    And how do you get to the 9 rpg crap (and "even less" for Russell)? Lol, a soft-ass big like Dirk easily manages to be getting 10+ rpg in the playoffs, when his minutes get high enough, but Wilt wouldn't...

Quote Originally Posted by Psileas
    Do you realize that DeAndre Jordan, a guy with ZERO offensive arsenal manages to average 11.5 ppg and make a sky-high percentage of his FGA's by just being athletic enough to finish dozens upon dozens of alley-oop dunks over practically ZERO defenders? And that a guy with a somewhat improved offensive arsenal and size, but still nowhere near Wilt's, is a constant 20 ppg scorer on close to 60% FG's (Dwight)? What are all these "awesome" defenders doing instead of stopping these guys from shooting 60% or 70% from the field and being double-double machines?
    And how do you get to the 9 rpg crap (and "even less" for Russell)? Lol, a soft-ass big like Dirk easily manages to be getting 10+ rpg in the playoffs, when his minutes get high enough, but Wilt wouldn't...

Decent playground baller Carter_17's Avatar

repped

Quote Originally Posted by Psileas
    Pretty much nailed it.

I get superstar calls j3lademaster's Avatar

Wilt would be a top 5 player in the league. He won't put up nearly the same stats as he did in the 60's but he'd be a legit superstar.

NBA sixth man of the year

In before CavsFTW and he'll be right by the way..........Is this a troll thread?