Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast
    Banned

Exclamation Understanding the NBA Salary Cap when it reaches $100M.

Quote Originally Posted by Fallen Angel

This is what was negotiated in the most recent CBA lockout in 2011. So barring another lockout and a change to occur in this graph, then a guy like Reggie Jackson in two years (when the salary cap jumps to $100M) could earn up to $20M from another team from a max contract, but because Detroit has his Bird Rights he would earn 7.5% more than that. So that's $21.5M Reggie Jackson could have had in the new CBA.

$21.5M vs. $16M

I'd take giving Reggie Jackson the $80M over 5 years now than giving him $107.5M over five years when the cap increases.
    When some dude got mad over Westbrook (2 years remaining) and Jackson's (5 years remaining) contracts being similar in dollar amount:
    Westbrook will be making upwards of $30M per year when the cap hits $100M because he's been in the league between 7-9 and players in that circle can get max contracts up to 30% of the league salary cap.
    So I'd say Detroit got Reggie Jackson for a good deal, as with every team that's retaining their players for long extensions this offseason.
    You keep looking at dollar figure amounts and expecting the guys getting paid a lot of money to be hogging the cap, therefore having are expected to have the bigger contribution to the team, but when the salary cap increases players that are signing longterm contracts are actually doing a huge favor for their teams by essentially taking a paycut of what they'd be able to get in two years.

Default Re: Understanding the NBA Salary Cap when it reaches $100M.

When some dude got mad over Westbrook (2 years remaining) and Jackson's (5 years remaining) contracts being similar in dollar amount:

You keep looking at dollar figure amounts and expecting the guys getting paid a lot of money to be hogging the cap, therefore having are expected to have the bigger contribution to the team, but when the salary cap increases players that are signing longterm contracts are actually doing a huge favor for their teams by essentially taking a paycut of what they'd be able to get in two years.

shhhhhhh

Thank you capt. obvious...

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by gts
    Thank you capt. obvious...
    clearly you haven't seen the overreactions to contracts the past week

Yet you still whining about the Lakers picking up Hibbert in his last year of his contract just because the Lakers lost a second round pick

Quote Originally Posted by Jameerthefear

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Bandito
    Yet you still whining about the Lakers picking up Hibbert in his last year of his contract just because the Lakers lost a second round pick
    two second rounds for 0 additional salary cap from before the trade

are you so stupid that you don't understand you gave away two picks for nothing

Just because the cap is increasing doesn't mean it's ok to hand out terrible contracts.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by FireDavidKahn
    Just because the cap is increasing doesn't mean it's ok to hand out terrible contracts.
    are you retarded?

two second rounds for 0 additional salary cap from before the trade

are you so stupid that you don't understand you gave away two picks for nothing
    If Hibbert pan out, we could trade him or pick him. If he doesn't, then adios. It's a bet I would've risk. A proven commodity for 2 unknowns for the possibility of getting a nice role player or use him for the future (seeing as he was an all star in the past in is mighty good at defense) as a 7 footer role player. Not a bad trade at all. If it was a first round pick then I would've "suicide myself"...

I agree with this. Houston Rockets stay losing...since 1995.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer DMAVS41's Avatar

True, but locking guys up to 4 year and 5 year deals now on good deals is going to be a huge asset for teams.

Crowsder at 5 years 35 million is going to look great in 2 years.

Biyombo looks great.

Middleton is a great contract.

I think Lou Williams at 3 for 21 is a nice contract.

Despite his age, I think Monta Ellis at 4 for 44 is a sneaky good contract given the fit on the Pacers.

Danny Green and Patrick Beverly are great....

The point is...last year and this year there was a market, imo, for certain types of guys on 4 year deals that will pay huge dividends in the long run.

This is what I was talking about last summer. Ariza, IT, Avery Bradley...those guys are on amazing contracts now going forward.

Reggie Jackson is now making more than double per year over the next 3 years than IT...it's absurd how good that IT contract is.

Quote Originally Posted by DMAVS41
    True, but locking guys up to 4 year and 5 year deals now on good deals is going to be a huge asset for teams.

Biyombo looks great.

Despite his age, I think Monta Ellis at 4 for 44 is a sneaky good contract given the fit on the Pacers.

The point is...last year and this year there was a market, imo, for certain types of guys on 4 year deals that will pay huge dividends in the long run.

This is what I was talking about last summer. Ariza, IT, Avery Bradley...those guys are on amazing contracts now going forward.

Reggie Jackson is now making more than double per year over the next 3 years than IT...it's absurd how good that IT contract is.
    Wait what? I have to get current 0.o

College superstar

http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=381826

The thread barely got noticed, but please take a moment to read my thoughts, Fallen Angel. My take on the lunacy that is free agency.

College superstar

Quote Originally Posted by DMAVS41

Biyombo looks great.

The bolded are good deals in THIS market, no matter the team situation.

Danny Green is a good deal in THIS market for the Spurs.

And Middleton is a terrible contract in this market, bad next season (unless he really takes off, which is possible), and good in 2017. He's making 14m per right now.. which equates out to (relative to today's market, as that's what most understand) 14m this year, then 10.69 then 8.86.

I will not admit that Middleton at 11m per year in the current market is a good deal, much less 14m.. not until he shows me something more. He is on his way, and one of my favorite up-and-coming players, so I expect he will get there. But he's in a curious case of being a FA right before he's truly proven something, but he has flashed so much potential that it's worth the risk.

I would have signed Middleton to 9-11m per year for 4-5 years, to make it a good signing. Right now, it's fraught with risk.