Banned

Default There is no winning scenario for this....

>Too good to be a bottom 3 team in the league
    >Too bad to make the Playoffs
    >2016 1st Rounder is Top 3 protected or it goes to Philadelphia
    >Gave two 2nd rounders for one year of Roy Hibbert
    >Could have kept picks and still retained the same flexibility for the 2016 FA Class

Just look at these guys:

Russell
    Clarkson
    Bryant
    Williams
    Bass
    Randle
    Kelly
    Hibbert
    Sacre
    Black

Can't win for losing.

LAL just love these Ls

Serious playground baller Mawly-G's Avatar

Default Re: There is no winning scenario for this....

On the bright side, I'm sure Russell and Randle will be a really solid nucleus to build around in due time.

Kobe and the Lakers are living rent free. That is some sickly obsession you have OP. It's going to KennethGriffith levels!!!!! Turn off the computer and just get out.

Quote Originally Posted by Bandito
    Kobe and the Lakers are living rent free. That is some sickly obsession you have OP. It's going to KennethGriffith levels!!!!! Turn off the computer and just get out.
    This isn't the type of rent free Kobe wants

Quote Originally Posted by ZMonkey11
    This isn't the type of rent free Kobe wants
    Is not what he wants, is what he deserves.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer DMAVS41's Avatar

Crazy things happen in sports all the time.

I won't come on here saying I know what will happen, but yea...I don't like this shit at all for the Lakers.

A lot of smart people agree that planning to tank here doesn't make sense because the pick is top 3 protected. And I agree with that in a vacuum, but I really think that argument misses the point.

It's about the upside of filling out the roster the way the Lakers did. What is the benefit?

As I've said before...the best way to develop young talent is to play them 35 minutes a game. Forget the wins/losses....now I fear the Lakers won't play these young guys enough. It's my same fear with the Knicks. Porzingas doesn't need to play 35 a game because he's more of a project, but he needs to play at minimum 20 minutes a game...and he needs to start.

Watching Dirk as a rookie was brutal often, but his development was excelled hugely by playing 20 minutes a game as a rookie and starting.

Back to the Lakers...you don't have to full on tank, but you can also just play your young guys and see what happens. Just like the Thunder did with Green, Durant, and Westbrook in 08 and 09. That didn't hurt their development at all.

In fact, they went 20 wins, 23 wins...to 50 wins

The main goal of the Lakers should be to develop Clarkson, Russell, and Randle...not worrying about what draft pick they give to the Sixers.

The extra benefit of the above is that if you focus more on playing the young guys loads of minutes....you are likely to win around 20 games...which gives you a better chance at Ben Simmons or keeping your pick.

If you don't get it...so what? You've played your young guys a ton and they are more ready for next season than they would have been by playing less.

But Jesus...the chance to develop Clarkson, Randle, and Russell hugely in 1 year and retain a shot a Ben Simmons...with two max slots available in free agency. Just shit....it would be the dream scenario.

And if Kobe looks pretty good....he'll bring some stability to attracting guys in free agency. The Lakers could sign 2 max free agents....and then bring back Kobe on a Dirk/Duncan type contract while going over the cap if they are willing to pay the tax.

Even the people against tanking are predicting between 25 and 35 wins. What the **** does that matter over winning 20?