Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Serious playground baller Amar'e_Juwanna's Avatar

Default Can Melo age well?

I know he's coming off a surgery, and the shoulder before that.

But the guy's game isn't predicated on athleticism... he's a pure shooter... strong in the post... he doesn't have the postseason mileage that other stars of his day have... can this guy play really well for another 5 years a la dirk?

Default Re: Can Melo age well?

he's fat

He's lazy. You need to be hard worker and stay fit if you want to age well.

Quote Originally Posted by Sakkreth
    He's lazy. You need to be hard worker and stay fit if you want to age well.
    personally I think that a big part of why today's players, and not just basketball, seemingly suffer more injuries than in the past is the overtaxing of the body caused by aggressive gym regimens, supplements, and general focus on athleticism (over individual skills and fundamentals, as well as those of the team as a unit).

As pertains to Melo, I disagree with the fat/lazy dismissive answer. He has a certain body type; he loves the game and loves to win. He is not, however, a great leader of men.

Banned

No but lala looks like she's aging well

Quote Originally Posted by Amar'e_Juwanna

But the guy's game isn't predicated on athleticism... he's a pure shooter... strong in the post....he doesn't have the postseason mileage that other stars of his day have... can this guy play really well for another 5 years a la dirk?

idk he was never very attractive to begin with..

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by buddha
    idk he was never very attractive to begin with..
    He kind of had that cute chubby puppy dog look going

Quote Originally Posted by Kobe_6/8
    pithy. perhaps i should have rephrased: he's not an athletic strong beast who will go up strong and dunk on peoples heads... he's a crafty post scorer who can exploit mismatches, use his size (read: fat ass) to create space, and utilize an extensive arsenal of post moves. Also, after taking a shot from the post or paint, he often sneakily tips in his own shot.

::Bias - he gets fouled according to current NBA reffing and it goes uncalled - a lot::

That's all not to mention that if he trusts his teammates (he hasn't had too many), he is more than capable of making great passes out of the post in the event of double team as well as within an offensive system. In fact, one of his greatest measures of value is his ability to bend defenses around him and create opportunities for teammates. Obviously if they cannot hit open shots (looking at you, last year's roster), that value is nullified.

the point of the OP was that most of these elements at which Melo excels, save perhaps for the offensive rebounding off of a miss (which requires quick leaping ability), are not predicated on athleticism and thus should allow him to continue to be an offensive force in this league for years to come.
    Last edited by Amar'e_Juwanna; 07-07-2015 at 06:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Amar'e_Juwanna

But the guy's game isn't predicated on athleticism... he's a pure shooter... strong in the post... he doesn't have the postseason mileage that other stars of his day have... can this guy play really well for another 5 years a la dirk?
    since his game isn't based on athleticism or speed i think he can .. yeah i'm obviously biased but i can see him age like pierce or dirk

NBA All-star

we Can say that at this point, Carmelo Anthony's impact is probably similar to that of the 3rd year Anthony Davis. you don't know how much better Anthony Davis may get, or how long it might even take him, to become that undoubted/unquestioned 1st option on a Conference final team. With Carmelo, if he wanted to play out his career, he could be your 1st option offensively, 2nd/3rd option defensively. that's conference finals possibility, and perhaps even contending if you have young athletic players who can knock down the jump shots

had Mike D'Antoni not been speaking a different language due to his stint with the Euro league. and dealing with few of the better college players NCAA ever seen.

Baron Davis and Amare Stoudemire's injury really hampered the first half of Melo's stint with the Knicks.

Having to watch the Miami Heat steam roll through their competition after being ousted in the playoff also could not had been a good feeling for the front office. Since its certain that some of those moves weren't just made to become a contender, but to be sure that if they were to run into the Miami Heat during the playoffs, they would be deep enough from a roster perspective to compete, if not away, at the least, on the home court.

the reality is, it's always been much easier for me to come up with a contending team scenario when the owner is known to go deep into the luxury tax if it was deemed worth it.

but people turnarounds most likely happen more frequent as well, just as well as the time table it takes to recoup past those ugly 1st round, not knowing what to do and the certainty of lottery pick days

i think he can maintain a steady baseline of mediocrity.

National High School Star NewYorkNoPicks's Avatar

Melo is Paul Pierce how do people not realize this?

Guy can play 20 years in the league. His entire game is based on actual basketball skill and attributes that dont fade quickly (strength, timing).

It would also help if he had a better cast and coaching to manage his minutes.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by NewYorkNoPicks
    Melo is Paul Pierce how do people not realize this?

Guy can play 20 years in the league. His entire game is based on actual basketball skill and attributes that dont fade quickly (strength, timing).
    There's a big difference