Who won more games?

What about the clutch stats?

Durant based on those numbers.
    This.

National High School Star Fire Colangelo's Avatar

Default Re: 14 Durant vs 06 Kobe

Quote Originally Posted by TheMarkMadsen
    Kobe haters desperate to throw shade on that season

4 straight days with threads about a season that happened 10 years ago.
    Nobody's throwing shade on that season...

You act like it's an insult to compare Kobe's 06 season to Durant's 14 season.

Like I said, I don't want to compare team wins because they had completely different supporting casts. I just want to know who was more dominant individually.

Kobe had the 62 point game and 81 point game, Durant had a monster January. Who was the more dominant player in terms of individual play?

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer DMAVS41's Avatar

Toss up.

I'd probably give the nod to Durant, but I also thought Durant got extremely lucky in that Memphis series.

Both seasons a bit over-rated imo.

Durant.

No Westbrook and won 59 games in a brutal conference.

Better passer better rebounder more efficient.

Are some people actually saying Kobe?

My goodness :

The only reg season compareable to '14 Durant

'92 Jordan
    '00 Shaq
    '09 LeBron

That's it...no one else

NBA rookie of the year HOoopCityJones's Avatar

Kobe outscored A Finals Team in 3 quarters. And I remember something about a highest scoring game of the modern era.

Kobe had better stats and he contributed more to the team considering how crappy it was without him, they reached 45 wins.

Quote Originally Posted by HOoopCityJones
    Kobe outscored A Finals Team in 3 quarters. And I remember something about a highest scoring game of the modern era.
    And I also remember him losing a lot of games...lol

2015 Westbrook is more fair comparison to '06 Kobe

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer tpols's Avatar

Problem with Durant is his game is much more dependant on FTs and it doesn't translate as well to the highest levels of competition.

14 Durant FTR- .48
    06 Kobe FTR- .38

When Durant didn't get the same calls in the playoffs and his FTR dropped dramatically,, defenders were allowed to body him, and no more ticky tack rip through moves.. his TS went from 64 TS to 57 TS.. huge drop.

Kobe's efficiency actually went up +3 TS as compared to that -7.. Kobe playing more facilitator and facing a worse defensive team was a definite part of it, but also signifigant was being able to score consistently through physical punishment.. I mean shit phoenix may have not had the team defense but they had some very good to great individual defenders.. raja bell was no joke, he played physical, even tried to take kobe's head off.. didn't faze him.

Point being yes.. durants rs stats are nice.. but he has always gotten a tremendous whistle advantage. When Durants FTR fell to .38 in the playoffs like what kobes was for his whole season? KD's game just completely fell off. Hes much more call reliant.

Quote Originally Posted by BlakFrankWhite
    And I also remember him losing a lot of games...lol

2015 Westbrook is more fair comparison to '06 Kobe
    both are better than 14 Durant that's for sure.

Good college starter Relinquish's Avatar

Durant. Better stats, more wins, way fewer shot attempts and fewer FT attempts per game.

Dunking on everybody in the park

Kevin Durant was at his most impressive that season from Christmas through the All-Star break without Westbrook when he averaged: 34.8 ppg, 7.5 rpg, 6.3 apg, 53% fg and over 40% 3PT. Incredible efficiency.

KD averaged nearly 35 points over that span on only 22 field-goal attempts per game for a robust 1.57 pps.

It appeared that he was ready to surpass LeBron as the game's greatest player. Hopefully, he can return to full health this coming season.
    Last edited by SOD 21; 07-07-2015 at 05:03 PM.

National High School Star Fire Colangelo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tpols
    Problem with Durant is his game is much more dependant on FTs and it doesn't translate as well to the highest levels of competition.

14 Durant FTR- .48
    06 Kobe FTR- .38

When Durant didn't get the same calls in the playoffs and his FTR dropped dramatically,, defenders were allowed to body him, and no more ticky tack rip through moves.. his TS went from 64 TS to 57 TS.. huge drop.

Kobe's efficiency actually went up +3 TS as compared to that -7.. Kobe playing more facilitator and facing a worse defensive team was a definite part of it, but also signifigant was being able to score consistently through physical punishment.. I mean shit phoenix may have not had the team defense but they had some very good to great individual defenders.. raja bell was no joke, he played physical, even tried to take kobe's head off.. didn't faze him.

Point being yes.. durants rs stats are nice.. but he has always gotten a tremendous whistle advantage. When Durants FTR fell to .38 in the playoffs like what kobes was for his whole season? KD's game just completely fell off. Hes much more call reliant.
    You do realize Durant played two of the best defensive teams in the Grizzlies and the Spurs during the 2014 playoffs right? While Kobe played against an average defensive team at best.

The only "weak" defense Durant played in the playoffs were the Clippers (rated 9th defensively) and he absolutely tore them apart averaging 33/10/5 on 61% TS.

I don't think this whole efficiency thing works for Kobe in this discussion because.... well Durant is just more efficient than Kobe.

I think Kobe was a little more dominant individually but... efficiency was not the reason.

Kobe was also more polished from 3-16 feet, his bread and butter. Translated well into the playoffs as well with that 50 point barrage against Phoenix. Beyond 16 feet? Durant has the edge. Dude was a sniper assassin from those areas on the court.

Comparable scorers, but I think Kobe's defense and playmaking were a bit more refined...and reliable tbh