Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Default Re: One thing I notice about Shaq and Wilt's dunks:

Quote Originally Posted by bdreason
    Also, I don't see Shaq and Wilt as similar dunkers. Both tremendous athletes, but different athletes. Shaq did most of his work before the dunk even occurred. He would use his incredible base to dislodge the defender. Most of the time the defender wasn't in a position to even attempt to block the dunk/shot. This may appear as if the defender isn't even trying... but that's because he already lost the war.

Shaq was also really good, especially during his Lakers days, of using the defenders weight against them. Shaq is such a big guy, defenders would have to use all their strength to push him off the block, and Shaq would feel that weight, and counter constantly. Shaq is probably the all-time leader in making guys fall on their own face trying to defend him in the post.
    On post ups they are very different I don't disagree there. But post ups aren't where Wilt, nor even Shaq got the majority of their dunks. Post ups are but 1 of like 6 ways both of those guys got the ball to dunk it. And those other 5 opportunities both guys looked the same getting the ball, and putting the ball through the hoop.

Save for one detail, Shaq hung on the rims sometimes (used to be a violation in prior eras), so that's something Wilt never did.

But on lobs, 2 person games, transition etc Wilt and Shaq dunking looks virtually the same. And the effect of defenders not wanting to be near/between them and the hoop is also the same. I'm not talking about plays where Shaq has already dislodged somebody. I'm talking even on backdoor plays or plays where he was fronted and a help defender "could" rotate in front of him if they dared. But they rarely did. For both Wilt or Shaq. Most of the times they just watched those two dunk it. I presume because they were scared and rightfully so to take contact in mid-air from those guys, which were the biggest/strongest guys of their eras.
    Last edited by CavaliersFTW; 07-15-2015 at 03:19 AM.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Smoke117's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CavaliersFTW
    On post ups they are very different I don't disagree there. But post ups aren't where Wilt, nor even Shaq got the majority of their dunks. Post ups are but 1 of like 6 ways both of those guys got the ball to dunk it. And those other 5 opportunities both guys looked the same getting the ball, and putting the ball through the hoop.

Save for one detail, Shaq hung on the rims sometimes (used to be a violation in prior eras), so that's something Wilt never did.

But on lobs, 2 person games, transition etc Wilt and Shaq dunking looks virtually the same. And the effect of defenders not wanting to be near/between them and the hoop is also the same. I'm not talking about plays where Shaq has already dislodged somebody. I'm talking even on backdoor plays or plays where he was fronted and a defender "could" rotate in front of him if they dared. But they rarely did. For both Wilt or Shaq. Most of the times they just watched those two dunk it.
    Nobody cares what you think f@ggot. You literally hate the best player on your team who carried them to the finals.... You are one of the biggest c@nts here...sloppy, stank, gag worthy even. You basically built that green bar up hating on Lebron (and this board is 70% lebron haters) while cheering on the Cavs. You're a pathetic little piss ant bitch.
    Last edited by Smoke117; 07-15-2015 at 03:20 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Smoke117
    Nobody cares what you think f@ggot. You literally hate the best player on your team who carried them to the finals.... You are one of the biggest c@nts here...sloppy, stank, gag worthy even.
    I don't hate Lebron James. I pity his cringeworthy stans.
    Last edited by CavaliersFTW; 07-15-2015 at 03:25 AM.

Wilt dunk mix should be up by tomorrow afternoon, it's rendering now

Quote Originally Posted by DonDadda59
    Ridiculous. Tons of Shaq's dunks were contested.

Multiple Jams on Ewing, Robinson, Hakeem, etc

He had one where Alonzo Mourning bounced off him like Zo was a bug getting splattered on a wind shield.

Word.

Slayed.

Shaq yoked on Hakeem zo Robinson , best bigs of era like nothin.

Vicious.

Quote Originally Posted by DonDadda59
    I do deny it. Teams used to throw doubles and triples at Shaq and there'd be guys climbing all over him trying to contest his dunk attempts.

It's interesting that in your OP you highlighted old way past prime Shaq playing in a soft era void of good-great centers where most players in general don't contest dunk attempts. If you said post '06 or so, then you'd be on to something. But young, prime, slightly past prime Shaq vs the likes of Ewing, Robinson, Dream, Deke, Zo, etc? Hell no. Those guys didn't care if you jammed on them 10 times in a row, they're challenging you on the 11th attempt. That's why you can find compilations of the best dunks on Zo or Dikemebe.

Just a different mentality today. But back in the 90s-2000s... he usually had someone really challenging his shot/dunk attempts.

Exactly.

Quote Originally Posted by Bless Mathews
    Word.

Slayed.

Shaq yoked on Hakeem zo Robinson , best bigs of era like nothin.

Vicious.
    Wilt did the same. Doesn't change the fact that it was the minority of dunks for both of them. Seems you two don't understand the concept of highlights. Shaq could go several games without having one of his dunks challenged. Because those odd times someone did, highlight plays like those happened.

Take his 61 point game for example. Plenty of opportunities for him to get challenged on a dunk attempt.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y1m5XI_oq3o

Just like I stated in the OP:

3:00 no one challenges dunk
    3:15 no one challenges dunk
    3:25 no one challenges dunk
    4:25 no one challenges dunk
    4:30 no one even near him to challenge the dunk
    5:43 no one challenges dunk - defender behind him lightly taps him to foul him
    6:06 no one even near him to challenge the dunk
    6:33 no one challenges dunk
    7:30 no one challenges dunk
    7:43 no one challenges dunk
    9:15 the only defender that jumped but he keeps his hands down
    9:50 no one challenges dunk

That's 12 dunks in one game, every single dunk in his career high 61 point game accounted for. Not A SINGLE ONE of them was even half-heartedly challenged. They tried to deny him position prior to catching down low sure, but once there? Nothing. Hands didn't go up on literally any of them. As I said, the majority of Shaq (and Wilt's) dunks went unchallenged. Due, from what I presume to be their dominating physical presence and the futile feeling defenders must have gotten around them. The proof is in the game film. I can't believe even a Shaq stan is arguing against this. Got to be the worst Shaq stan on the planet to not know how defenses reacted to Shaq during the course of a game.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer warriorfan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Smoke117
    Nobody cares what you think f@ggot. You literally hate the best player on your team who carried them to the finals.... You are one of the biggest c@nts here...sloppy, stank, gag worthy even. You basically built that green bar up hating on Lebron (and this board is 70% lebron haters) while cheering on the Cavs. You're a pathetic little piss ant bitch.

@Cavsftw

3:00 dunk right after rebound, defense was off guard
    3:15 dunk after getting block, defense was off guard
    3:25 alley oop dunk, you expect someone to block that?
    4:25 it was a transition dunk, defense didn't notice he was there
    4:30 it was an awesome pass and shaq was right under the ring
    5:43 another transition dunk, D tried to slap the ball from behind and got a F
    6:06 another transition dunk, you expect that unathletic white dude to block it?
    6:33 footage is cut but I guess this was another alley oop dunk
    7:30 not even a dunk, its a transition lay up
    7:43 yet another alley oop dunk
    9:15 the guy was shoved aside by shaq's body weight, this is an example of how to use your body in the post to get the defense off balance
    9:50 this is about the only dunk where the defense could've done something

The above is the result of terrible defense. You don't stop shaq by blocking his shots, you stop him by not letting him get into a position where he can make baskets. That would be very hard for any defender to do, because shaq is massive and strong with great footwork. When he does get into position, the defender couldn't do much but hope for him to miss or if help defense comes right on time to stop him from getting the ball up.

Cavs, you are alright and there's nothing wrong with you stanning a wilt chamberlain. Still you have much to learn about the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Asukal
    @Cavsftw

3:00 dunk right after rebound, defense was off guard
    3:15 dunk after getting block, defense was off guard
    3:25 alley oop dunk, you expect someone to block that?
    4:25 it was a transition dunk, defense didn't notice he was there
    4:30 it was an awesome pass and shaq was right under the ring
    5:43 another transition dunk, D tried to slap the ball from behind and got a F
    6:06 another transition dunk, you expect that unathletic white dude to block it?
    6:33 footage is cut but I guess this was another alley oop dunk
    7:30 not even a dunk, its a transition lay up
    7:43 yet another alley oop dunk
    9:15 the guy was shoved aside by shaq's body weight, this is an example of how to use your body in the post to get the defense off balance
    9:50 this is about the only dunk where the defense could've done something

The above is the result of terrible defense. You don't stop shaq by blocking his shots, you stop him by not letting him get into a position where he can make baskets. That would be very hard for any defender to do, because shaq is massive and strong with great footwork. When he does get into position, the defender couldn't do much but hope for him to miss or if help defense comes right on time to stop him from getting the ball up.

Cavs, you are alright and there's nothing wrong with you stanning a wilt chamberlain. Still you have much to learn about the game.
    Don't wag your finger at me like I'm not aware what's going on on those plays. What I stated in the OP is crystal clear. The purpose of that post is crystal clear.

I know you defend bigs by trying to prevent them from getting deep - not by contesting their dunks that's the freaking point of this thread. Particularly Wilt and Shaq, are players that rarely posterize people. Because they are rarely challenged once in position to dunk. You've got people like Dondada trying to argue Shaq is posterizing dudes at the rim all the time like he's constantly challenged on his dunks. He goes and shows highlights of it as if that proved it. My above post, was my answer to that nonsense.
    Last edited by CavaliersFTW; 07-15-2015 at 05:48 AM.

National High School Star

CavsFTL again posting ignorance.

Lol at Shaq not being challenged on dunks. He is the best dunking center when it comes to facials that has ever played. He literally dunked on every other center in the league.

And facial in dunking are rare. He has more facials than probably even Kobe or Jordan.

You act like he needs to have a facial every game. One facial every 5 games is more than enough to say that he dominated anyone that challenged him at the rim.

Wilt on the other hand didn't have the benefit of playing against people that could even athletically challenge him. Who knows if he could of done more. But from the videos you post he definitely doesn't dunk with close to the force of Shaq. Shaq tries to tear down the rim and the man. Wilt dunks like Roy Hibbert.

Quote Originally Posted by sundizz
    CavsFTL again posting ignorance.

Lol at Shaq not being challenged on dunks. He is the best dunking center when it comes to facials that has ever played. He literally dunked on every other center in the league.

And facial in dunking are rare. He has more facials than probably even Kobe or Jordan.

You act like he needs to have a facial every game. One facial every 5 games is more than enough to say that he dominated anyone that challenged him at the rim.

Wilt on the other hand didn't have the benefit of playing against people that could even athletically challenge him. Who knows if he could of done more. But from the videos you post he definitely doesn't dunk with close to the force of Shaq. Shaq tries to tear down the rim and the man. Wilt dunks like Roy Hibbert.
    ^ case in point

Don't wag your finger at me like I'm not aware what's going on on those plays. What I stated in the OP is crystal clear. The purpose of that post is crystal clear.

I know you defend bigs by trying to prevent them from getting deep - not by contesting their dunks that's the freaking point of this thread. Particularly Wilt and Shaq, are players that don't posterize people. You've got people like Dondada trying to argue Shaq is posterizing dudes all the time. My above post, was my answer to that nonsense.
    If you understood what's happening, then why are you wondering why they didn't or I should say couldn't defend those dunks?

No wonder you like wilt, but that's none of my business.

Quote Originally Posted by Asukal
    If you understood what's happening, then why are you wondering why they didn't or I should say couldn't defend those dunks?

No wonder you like wilt, but that's none of my business.
    Who said I was wondering?

Take his 61 point game for example. Plenty of opportunities for him to get challenged on a dunk attempt.
    I only saw one in those plays.

Plenty of opportunities to foul out though that's for sure.