Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: I found an old newspaper article about Wilt

Quote Originally Posted by DonDadda59
    Is there any video or photographic evidence of Wilt benching 465 lbs like a 'matchstick' or is hearsay and hyperbole all we have to go by?

Several internet sources say Shaq used to bench 500-550 lbs. Obviously it's true because someone said it and/or wrote it down.

But as has been the case lately, I counter Wilt's tall tales with Dwight Howard's Reality.

Can you show me anything remotely similar for Wilt? A pic, video, anything?
    Can you find me the footage of Wilt's 100 point game? Hell, how about any of his 271 40+ point games (other than highlights from his 42 point All-Star game in '62)?

As for Shaq's 500-550...

No way in hell Shaq ever came close to even 400. And we have FOOTAGE of that. The man MAY have topped out at 375.

I can find a TON of articles in which Chamberlain was credited with 500+ lbs.

Just google Wilt's bench.

As for STRENGTH...we have Bill Simmons, the legendary Chamberlain-hater, in his interview with Arnold, claiming that Wilt was the strongest man to have ever played the game.

And YOU know that I can post article-after-article about Wilt's staggering strength.

Shaq? Not so much.

Banned

You really went the Wilt playing volleyball route?

Dude started a league and made himself president, a team owner, and designated himself star player. It was just another Wilt ego trip:

"I assume that most people know that I'm a volleyballer of some renown. In fact, for a long time, volleyball became as big a part of my life as basketball once was. I helped start an international league of players from around the world, even behind the Iron Curtain (when there was an Iron Curtain). The volleyball organization was called the IVA (International Volleyball Association). I was president of the league, a team owner, and the star player. One of my most cherished feats was being chosen MVP in all All-Star volleyball game that was nationally televised by NBC."

"I started playing volleyball very late in my athletic career, around the age thirty-three of thirty-four, but I became quite proficient. It's a highly skilled and very fast-paced game. Being able to hold my own against the best in the world, on the beach or indoors, is something I am very proud of."

- Wilt Chamberlain, "A View From Above", 1991

He only made the HOF because of the press his celebrity brought to volleyball. He did a lot to promote the sport no doubt (even coaching a women's team called the little dippers ). But he was average at his absolute best or downright terrible according to who you ask.

You really went the Wilt playing volleyball route?

Dude started a league and made himself president, a team owner, and designated himself star player. It was just another Wilt ego trip:

"I assume that most people know that I'm a volleyballer of some renown. In fact, for a long time, volleyball became as big a part of my life as basketball once was. I helped start an international league of players from around the world, even behind the Iron Curtain (when there was an Iron Curtain). The volleyball organization was called the IVA (International Volleyball Association). I was president of the league, a team owner, and the star player. One of my most cherished feats was being chosen MVP in all All-Star volleyball game that was nationally televised by NBC."

"I started playing volleyball very late in my athletic career, around the age thirty-three of thirty-four, but I became quite proficient. It's a highly skilled and very fast-paced game. Being able to hold my own against the best in the world, on the beach or indoors, is something I am very proud of."

- Wilt Chamberlain, "A View From Above", 1991

He only made the HOF because of the press his celebrity brought to volleyball. He did a lot to promote the sport no doubt (even coaching a women's team called the little dippers ). But he was average at his absolute best or downright terrible according to who you ask.

Again...none other than Byron Shewman...

Byron Shewman, former IVA player

“And then Wilt went out and played—and I’ve seen three Olympics and a [COLOR="DarkRed"]lot of world-class, high-level volleyball[/COLOR]—and he played as well as any hitter I’ve ever seen. [COLOR="DarkRed"]He was playing against some world-class players[/COLOR], and I can’t remember his stats, but it was something close to a 90-percent kill rate. I guess a lot of it was attributed to me and that headline.
    That is AVERAGE to you?????

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by LAZERUSS
    Can you find me the footage of Wilt's 100 point game?
    Of course not. The NBA was such a joke league then that games were rarely televised or even covered by the media. I can watch a game of Lew Alcindor's from High School during the same time, but can't watch any footage of the NBA's biggest star's greatest feat. What does that tell you about the "Bush League's" position on the F*cks Given totem pole back then?

Still though, no pictures or video exist of such a feat of strength as benching 465 like a matchstick.

I can find a TON of articles in which Chamberlain was credited with 500+ lbs.

Just google Wilt's bench.
    Checked google. Men's Health Magazine says Shaq used to bench 550 lbs. Reddit article said 500. Criticalbench.com says 455.

Google has spoken

As for STRENGTH...we have Bill Simmons, the legendary Chamberlain-hater, in his interview with Arnold, claiming that Wilt was the strongest man to have ever played the game.
    Wow, THE Bill Simmons? Wow.

And YOU know that I can post article-after-article about Wilt's staggering strength.

Shaq? Not so much.
    Yeah, actual game tape definitely tells a different story than the Paul Bunyan stories.

Banned

Again...none other than Byron Shewman...

That is AVERAGE to you?????
    Way to nitpick for narrative. The rest of Byron Shewman's testimony:

Wilt was, by and large, a very effective hitter. [COLOR="Red"]The rest of his game was spotty because he hadn’t played that much. His blocking and ball handling were not too strong, and his hands were so big he couldn’t set the ball. It was like setting a softball or a baseball. And his passing wasn’t that strong, either.[/COLOR] But it didn’t matter. It was a specialized game at that time. There was no rotation. And he was very effective in his role.

Also talks about how everyone had to constantly praise Wilt so as not to hurt his fragile ego:

So we got to El Paso, and the morning of the match, I was at breakfast. And Dodge Parker, an old friend who was on the other team, said, “Did you see the headline in the paper? Why did you say that?” And I said, “Say what?” So I looked at the paper, and it said something like “Shewman says East will go after Chamberlain’s weak ball handling.”

When we got to the gym before the match, the owner of the league came up in a panic and said, “Byron, you’ve got to go over and talk to Wilt. He’s threatening not to play. And if that happens, we’ve got no TV.” And I’m stammering, and I see Wilt. And it was one of those hot El Paso days, and he was over there sweating in his tank top. He looked like Godzilla. It looked like he had steam coming off his forehead. So I went over and said, “Wilt, can I have a word with you?” And he said, “Don’t even bother,” and he turned his back on me.

I also remember someone here posting a quote from a volleyball player who was also a former basketball player basically confirming Wilt was not very good but got the praise because of all the positive press he brought to the sport. I'll see if I can find it.
    Last edited by DonDadda59; 07-17-2015 at 01:10 AM.

Of course not. The NBA was such a joke league then that games were rarely televised or even covered by the media. I can watch a game of Lew Alcindor's from High School during the same time, but can't watch any footage of the NBA's biggest star's greatest feat. What does that tell you about the "Bush League's" position on the F*cks Given totem pole back then?

Still though, no pictures or video exist of such a feat of strength as benching 465 like a matchstick.

Checked google. Men's Health Magazine says Shaq used to bench 550 lbs. Reddit article said 500. Criticalbench.com says 455.

Google has spoken

Wow, THE Bill Simmons? Wow.

Yeah, actual game tape definitely tells a different story than the Paul Bunyan stories.
    You want footage from a player that played 50 years ago...and yet you can't provide footage from a player whose every move was recorded?

BUT, we do have the FOOTAGE of Shaq's bench...and he couldn't move 405 off of his chest. Hell, he couldn't have done 375.

As for Reddit...

Chamberlain... 500+.

PHYSICALLY:
    Wilt reportedly had a 50" vert.
    Ran the 100 yd dash sub 11 seconds.
    He broke Johnny Kerr's toe with the ball after dunking it through.
    Bench pressed 500#
    More...

http://wiltfan.tripod.com/didyaknow.htm

Wilt used to lift weights with Arnold Shwartzenegger and Wilt got his bench press up to 500 pounds.
    Shaq's 455? Same article...

1. Wilt Chamberlain

When it comes to NBA legends, few are greater than the late Wilt Chamberlain. Here are just a few of Wilt's on-court feats:

- Only guy to score 100 points in an NBA game.
    - 2-time NBA champion
    - 7-time NBA scoring champion
    - Highest single-season scoring average at 50.4 PPG (1962)
    - Most points and rebounds in NBA history at 31,419 (30.1 PPG) and 23,924 (22.9 RPG), respectively.

Okay, so I could go on, but let's get back to the bench press subject. If we're to believe legend, "Wilt the Stilt" wasn't such a stilt at all because he's credited with benching 500 pounds. Given that he lifted weights with Arnold Schwarzenegger and is touted by many to be the strongest NBA player ever, it's not a stretch to believe in the 500-pound bench press legend

3. Shaquille O'Neal

At 7'1", 325 pounds, Shaq is one of the biggest players to have ever stepped onto the court. He's also one of the strongest and was able to assert his dominance on the way to 4 NBA Championships and 3 NBA Finals MVP awards. So how did his strength translate into the weight room? At his peak, many say that Shaq could bench press 455 pounds. As big as the 15-time NBA All-Star was, this is one bench that we can easily see as being true.

And again, we have FOOTAGE of Shaq failing miserably to even BUDGE 405.

And I could go on.

And we have FOOTAGE of an old Wilt yanking a young Shaq, who would just get fatter as his career progressed...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bU43dTuMuig

In any case...Wilt was EASILY stronger than Shaq.
    Last edited by LAZERUSS; 07-17-2015 at 01:20 AM.

Loseruss cherry picking again. This time words not stats.

[QUOTE=DonDadda59]Way to nitpick for narrative. The rest of Byron Shewman's testimony:

[INDENT]Wilt was, by and large, a very effective hitter. [B][COLOR="Red"]The rest of his game was spotty because he hadn

Banned

You want footage from a player that played 50 years ago...and yet you can't provide footage from a player whose every move was recorded?

BUT, we do have the FOOTAGE of Shaq's bench...and he couldn't move 405 off of his chest. Hell, he couldn't have done 375.

As for Reddit...

Chamberlain... 500+.

More...

http://wiltfan.tripod.com/didyaknow.htm

Shaq's 455? Same article...

And again, we have FOOTAGE of Shaq failing miserably to even BUDGE 405.

And I could go on.

And we have FOOTAGE of an old Wilt yanking a young Shaq, who would just get fatter as his career progressed...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bU43dTuMuig

In any case...Wilt was EASILY stronger than Shaq.
    Wilt 50" vertical. 500 lb bench. 20K bitches slayed.

Google FTW

And old, fat Shaq was clearly clowning around on the bench. Even did the cartoon leg thing.

But google says he benched 550 lbs in his prime. Therefore it is so.

Banned

You want footage from a player that played 50 years ago...
    Like I said before, 0 evidence of any of Wilt Bunyan's feats of strength exist, but I can watch games of Lew Alcindor in High School played 50 years ago

Jerry West, one of the greatest talent evaluators ever and future Wilt teammate, was apparently watching young Lew too when he said this:

Damn.

College Kareem was better than prime Wilt according to Wilt's own teammate. And West was tryna get in on that non choking, Bill Russell 11 rings bonanza. Yikes.

Hope Wilt didn't read that before they teamed up. Probably would've threatened to boycott some seasons if he did.

Wilt 50" vertical. 500 lb bench. 20K bitches slayed.

Google FTW

And old, fat Shaq was clearly clowning around on the bench. Even did the cartoon leg thing.

But google says he benched 550 lbs in his prime. Therefore it is so.
    Same google that also claims that Wilt was benching 600...

http://www.reddit.com/r/nba/comments...layer_to_ever/

As for leaping ability...can you find me FOOTAGE of Shaq doing this...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QF8yJ1J1W7Q

http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/sho...8&postcount=23

Or find an eyewitness, the likes of Tex Winter...claiming that Wilt could dunk his FT's...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fyz-FhP2ONk

Or a news clip with a 12'9" reach...

http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/sho...2&postcount=38

Or maybe you can find an article about Shaq winning a college high jump championship (part time BTW, and with poor technique)...

http://www.complex.com/sports/2014/1...mp-competition

n addition to playing basketball at Kansas, Chamberlain also joined the track and field team and excelled. He ran the 100-yard dash, threw the shot put, and took part in the triple jump and high jump. But he enjoyed the most success in the [COLOR="DarkRed"]high jump and won the event[/COLOR] at the Big Eight track and field championships for the Jayhawks.
    Of course, we have eyewitness accounts of Wilt dunking on 12 ft rims, and touching the top of the backboard, as well.

Like I said before, 0 evidence of any of Wilt Bunyan's feats of strength exist, but I can watch games of Lew Alcindor in High School played 50 years ago

Jerry West, one of the greatest talent evaluators ever and future Wilt teammate, was apparently watching young Lew too when he said this:

Damn.

College Kareem was better than prime Wilt according to Wilt's own teammate. And West was tryna get in on that non choking, Bill Russell 11 rings bonanza. Yikes.

Hope Wilt didn't read that before they teamed up. Probably would've threatened to boycott some seasons if he did.
    West knew Russell had the heart and will of a champion with the game on the line Russ is the man. Wilt? He'd choke so hard he'd need to make up some bogus story to stroke his ego.

Damn.

West in 1999...

http://www.nba.com/history/wilt_appreciation.html

"He was the most unbelievable center to ever play the game in terms of domination and intimidation. There's no one that's ever played the game better than Wilt Chamberlain. This was a man for all ages."
    Bill Russell at the 1997 All-star game...

"Nobody seems to appreciate what an incredible player Wilt was," Russell said at 1997 All-Star Game when the league named and honored its 50 greatest players. "He was the best player of all time because he dominated the floor like nobody else ever could. To be that big and that athletic was special."
    Kareem in an open letter to Scotty Pippen in 2011...

http://lakersblog.latimes.com/lakers...t-player-.html

How Soon They Forget: An Open Letter to Scottie Pippen

Dear Scottie,

I have nothing but respect for you my friend as an athlete and knowledgeable basketball mind. But you are way off in your assessment of who is the greatest player of all time and the greatest scorer of all time. Your comments are off because of your limited perspective. You obviously never saw Wilt Chamberlain play who undoubtedly was the greatest scorer this game has ever known. When did MJ ever average 50.4 points per game plus 25.7 rebounds? (Wilt in the 1962 season when blocked shot statistics were not kept). We will never accurately know how many shots Wilt blocked. Oh, by the way in 1967 and 68, Wilt was a league leader in assists. Did MJ ever score 100 points in a game? How many times did MJ score more than 60 points in a game? MJ led the league in scoring in consecutive seasons for 10 years but he did this in an NBA that eventually expanded into 30 teams vs. when Wilt played and there were only 8 teams.

Every team had the opportunity to amass a solid nucleus. Only the cream of the basketball world got to play then. So MJ has to be appraised in perspective. His incredible athletic ability, charisma and leadership on the court helped to make basketball popular around the world -- no question about that. But in terms of greatness, MJ has to take a backseat to The Stilt.
    Larry Bird...

https://www.google.com/webhp?sourcei...%20chamberlain

When the topic of all-time greatest player was once raised, none other than the legendary Larry Bird didn't hesitate.

"Open up the record book and it will be obvious who the greatest is," he said.
    Rick Barry a couple of years ago...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MSTt_TxoFVo

"Wilt was the greatest ever."

I could go on...

Banned

Same google that also claims that Wilt was benching 600...

http://www.reddit.com/r/nba/comments...layer_to_ever/

As for leaping ability...can you find me FOOTAGE of Shaq doing this...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QF8yJ1J1W7Q

http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/sho...8&postcount=23

Or find an eyewitness, the likes of Tex Winter...claiming that Wilt could dunk his FT's...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fyz-FhP2ONk

Or a news clip with a 12'9" reach...

http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/sho...2&postcount=38

Or maybe you can find an article about Shaq winning a college high jump championship (part time BTW, and with poor technique)...

http://www.complex.com/sports/2014/1...mp-competition

Of course, we have eyewitness accounts of Wilt dunking on 12 ft rims, and touching the top of the backboard, as well.
    Bruh, all those things that Wilt allegedly did with eyewitness accounts I have actual video footage of Dwight f*cking Howard doing the same exact thing. 12'6" standing jump, dunking on 12+ ft rims.

Dwight Howard is a third tier (at his absolute best) center in the last 25 years.

And a 7'1" guy high jumping 6'6" really isn't that impressive. I did high jump in HS and did 6', someone in my conference did 6'6".

And a HS junior broke the national record with a 7'-5 3/4" jump:

http://www.flotrack.org/video/173018...4#.VaiXyflViko

Really nothing to brag about. Especially for someone with a 50" vertical

Banned

West in 1999...

http://www.nba.com/history/wilt_appreciation.html

Bill Russell at the 1997 All-star game...

Kareem in an open letter to Scotty Pippen in 2011...

http://lakersblog.latimes.com/lakers...t-player-.html

Larry Bird...

https://www.google.com/webhp?sourcei...%20chamberlain

Rick Barry a couple of years ago...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MSTt_TxoFVo

"Wilt was the greatest ever."

I could go on...
    Yeah they all said that after he died. When he was alive Wilt was known by his peers as a choking loser.

It's the same scenario as when West a few years ago said LeBron was a superior player to Kobe and Lakers nation went berserk, forcing West to retract his statement.

But again, as always, he was spot on in his assessment of Wilt vs the likes of Kareem and Russell. It was even to the point of clairvoyance since Kareem was still Lew Alcindor and hadn't even played in the NBA yet. But Jerry knew from the eye test that Lew was better as a college player than Wilt was at his peak.

West is an absolute talent scouting genius.