Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Default Re: Which of these Finals MVP selections would you change

Quote Originally Posted by Showtime2001
    So was Kobe in 2000 and yet he was carried and Shaq was the one who did all the work.

Bird wasn't playing with a dude putting up 38/17/3 on 61% FG... Bird wasn't playing with motha****in peak Shaq...

Bird (in '81) clearly played better than Kobe (in '00) while taking the most attetion with him, while being the leader from the get-go... Oh, and Kobe was 2nd banana to a player infinitely better than Cedric Maxwell.
    But hey, let's just compare both "situations"

Said it many times before... Bird deserved that FMVP...

Larry almost rebounded as much as prime Moses, was easily the best playmaker for the series, 3rd best scorer, played great D, clutch af, hustled more than anybody in an extremely physical series...
    Most impactful, better overall player in those Finals.

Cornbread was better and more consistent with his scoring/shooting yes, but Bird was much better in terms of playmaking, definitely better on the boards, more impactful on defense, wasn't even much worse in terms of scoring at all.

Not to mention that Bird had just outplayed the MVP in the '81 ECF (the real Finals) so ofc he easily had the most attention on him and was setting up Max for countless bunnies, great passing.
    Cedric never was remotely close to Bird's impact and even got "better" when Larry came around, those are just the facts...

In that 1st 8-points game, Bird also had 13 rebounds, 10 assists, 5 steals and 2 blocks... Celtics won in a blowout and nobody even had a great scoring game.
    But I guess Larry should've just stayed in to statpad those scoring numbers, huh? Sorta like LeBron does...

Celtics also won in a blowout in game5 with Bird putting up 12/12/8. Why the hell did he jst play 38 minutes and didn't stay in at the end

Also, adding to that, who was the one closing out the series? That's right, Larry Bird...
    27/13/5 on 11-20 FG game6, clutch af, scoring 9 of the team's 11 in the decisive late run.

I give Cornbread his credit but he was a media-friendly *****, while Bird was very aloof and couldn't give less ****s about them, creating that "hate"...

Plus, single-games individual assists/rebounds/steals/blocks weren't posted in most boxscores back then.

If those series had taken place at least 5 years later on... Bird would've won that FMVP.

Good college starter Locked_Up_Tonight's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SHAQisGOAT
    :

I give Cornbread his credit but he was a media-friendly *****, while Bird was very aloof and couldn't give less ****s about them, creating that "hate"...

Plus, single-games individual assists/rebounds/steals/blocks weren't posted in most boxscores back then.

If those series had taken place at least 5 years later on... Bird would've won that FMVP.[/B]
    Please. Bird was a media darling. Ever since Indiana State.

Quote Originally Posted by Locked_Up_Tonight
    Please. Bird was a media darling. Ever since Indiana State.

That only shows you know nothing about the topic at hand... Why even make ignorant comments like that though?

Good college starter Locked_Up_Tonight's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SHAQisGOAT

That only shows you know nothing about the topic at hand... Why even make ignorant comments like that though?

Funny, I was going to tell you the exact thing.

Local High School Star

Curry in 2015 is obvious How Iggy got it boggles me a bit, I definitely thought he was second for the warriors but Curry should have easily gotten it

People saying manu in 05 I wouldn't even consider it

I would have liked Ray to win in 08 but he didnt exactly get robbed, although the people talking about k.g I completely disagree with, he was to me clearly the 3rd mvp of the finals

Quote Originally Posted by Showtime2001
    So was Kobe in 2000 and yet he was carried and Shaq was the one who did all the work.

2000 Finals
    Shaq 38 pts / 16.7 rebs / 2.3 asst / 2.7 blks 61.1%FG
    Kobe 15.6 pts / 4.6 rebs / 4.2 asst 36.7%

Yes, Shaq did the work and carried him.

3-time NBA All-Star

Op=beta

just iggy

Steph was a bum, getting locked up the first half the series by a journeyman, back up, un-athletic / gifted, slow white Australian.

Curry should've went BONKERS and didn't. How anyone should say he deserved MVP in retrospect is ridiculously stupid.

The Finals MVP was LeBron. Even though the Cavs didn't win, and he shot poorly ... as well as played mediocre to bad in the deciding games of the series. Golden State won completely as a team.

Quote Originally Posted by Locked_Up_Tonight
    18/10/3 on 57 FG%
    15/15/7 on 42 FG%

Not sure I see the problem with it, especially when you consider that Bird played 5 more minutes a game.....
    there isn't one.. just Bird stans.

Anyway, so 2010: Gasol & 2015: LeBron

Not sure why OP doesn't list '70.... must not know that was straight robbery.

3-time NBA All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by SamuraiSWISH
    Steph was a bum, getting locked up the first half the series by a journeyman, back up, un-athletic / gifted, slow white Australian.

Curry should've went BONKERS and didn't. How anyone should say he deserved MVP in retrospect is ridiculously stupid.

The Finals MVP was LeBron. Even though the Cavs didn't win, and he shot poorly ... as well as played mediocre to bad in the deciding games of the series. Golden State won completely as a team.
    Because ofense>defense. And he was the reason they won at the most important games with those daggers after daggers he made

Quote Originally Posted by ArbitraryWater

Decent college freshman

Quote Originally Posted by ArbitraryWater
    You can't win Finals MVP in a loss

Quote Originally Posted by knicksman
    Because ofense>defense. And he was the reason they won at the most important games with those daggers after daggers he made
    Curry for the series was like the 3rd best player.

'15 LeBron James