Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Jahlil Okafor is the new Kyrie

Quote Originally Posted by Cocaine80s
    Okafor does alter shots and has a big ass frame. That alone helps, he just sucks at defending 1 on1

Plus he has Noel next to him which will mask his deficiencies
    Meh, not impressed by his interior defensive presence from the small sample I've seen. And his big frame doesn't mean nearly as much b/c of his slow lateral movement.

Very good NBA starter

Quote Originally Posted by LoneyROY7
    Meh, not impressed by his interior defensive presence from the small sample I've seen. And his big frame doesn't mean nearly as much b/c of his slow lateral movement.
    Will bump when he wins DPOY in a few years

Okafor can rebound and pass, tf you on ni[COLOR="Black"]g[/COLOR]ga

He can work on his shooting and defense as he gets older and loses weight
    You can't fix a broke ass shot. FT% is the biggest indicator of the ability that someone has to shoot and Okafor ain't got it. It's the same thing on defense, he is lazy and dumb when it comes to defense. Cosch k even questioned his work ethic and love for the game for crying out loud

Bruh he made it to the finals in his 4th year

Not everyone can be drafted to a stacked team like Kobe
    Yeah with a stacked team.
    Kobe's team did nothing but lose in the 1st round and swept in the playoffs until Kobe emerged as a legit star.

Go sit in the corner.
    Also, love the contradictions.

Quote Originally Posted by FireDavidKahn
    Tim Duncan could rebound, pass, shoot, defend...Okafor can't do any of that even in the same universe as Duncan. Anyone who scoffs at the comparison of Big Al from the standpoint of having amazing low post abilities but nothing much else to add doesn't know basketball.
    Okafor looks like he's going to be a really good passer, especially out of doubles.

I think that Okafor is going to end up as a positive defender. He's long, with good footwork and strength. Guys are bouncing off of him out there.

Quote Originally Posted by West-Side
    Yeah with a stacked team.
    Kobe's team did nothing but lose in the 1st round and swept in the playoffs until Kobe emerged as a legit star.

Go sit in the corner.
    Also, love the contradictions.

Decent college freshman

Quote Originally Posted by FireDavidKahn
    I'll give you the passing stuff. I don't think he will be terrible in that sense. But as a Wolves fan and going through the Big Al and Love sagas, I loathe big men who are supposed to be the teams best player and yet ate complete horse crap on defense

Hell I even think Okafor well be ROY. Ppg wins ROY and he should easily lead in that category.
    Given how Philly is rounding out its roster, I'm sure Okafor is getting 15 FGA per game He'll have plenty of opportunities to score and win ROY.

I completely understand-it's really difficult to build a team around a guy who can't protect the rim when he's the biggest guy on the court. Okafor needs a guy like Kristaps to space the floor on O and cover for him on D. Noel's a better defender than Kristaps, but I doubt we'll see Noel banging in even 12 footers this year.

One weird thing that apparently was reported after one of Okafor's Lakers workouts was that he shot the 3 much better than he shot from mid-range. No clue if the 76ers let him fire from deep this year, though.

Anyway, I think either Noel or Okafor gets traded next draft night. I'd guess the former, perhaps, based on his contract situation.

NBA sixth man of the year Thorpesaurous's Avatar

Okafor will be a fine pro. His defense will improve, but he's never gonna protect the rim, and his rebounding will improve, but he's not the athlete to dominate on the glass. And I'm not sure what the numbers indicate, but I'm confident he'll be an excellent passer out of the post and a guy you can run offense through, not for, from there, baThe problem is he just doesn't provide much flexibility in terms of team building. Unless he's the focus of the offense, he loses a ton of value. You're almost better off using him off the bench as an anchor for bench units at that point, sort of the way teams did in the 90s with guys who were sort of post savants. Corliss Williamson would get burn as a focal point. Chris Gatling. Up to Mark Aguire and Kevin McHale.

Problem is finding a guy who can defend the rim, and stretch the floor to space for him, is a nearly impossible task, without that guy being better than him to the point where you're no longer running the offense through him. KAT would be awesome next to him. Anthony Davis. But at that point do you really wanna use up possessions dumping it down to him while those guys hang around on the perimeter?
    You could make a case for going small. Really locking down on the perimeter defensively, but then he's gotta suck it up and kill the defensive backboard. You almost need two SFs then who can really help on the glass and protect the rim, and those guys aren't easy to find.

He's a good player, but a tricky one.

So Lebron is going to collude with okafor in a few years?