Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Local High School Star

Default Re: Sixers sign Scottie Wilbekin to 4 yr deal

4 years for who?

Local High School Star

Quote Originally Posted by SwishSquared
    Did he take the Hinkie Special? If he did, that's 3 years of non-guaranteed contracts at $1M/year. Philly doesn't use cap space on seasoned NBA players really at all nowadays, so may as well try to find future rotation players like RoCo and Hollis Thompson.
    The Hinkie Special seems to have two versions.

Version A: 4 years with the first 2 years guaranteed starting at 507k then going to 850k (roughly)...the last two years over $1 million with both years being a team option.

Version B: 4 years of roughly $1 million a year....first 3 years guaranteed, 4th year team option.

I'm not sure which he has. I'm glad they signed him and I'm glad they aren't handing out $70 million for role players (who honestly don't add much, well, at least not for the Sixers in their current state) like many other teams. Sixers should sit out free agency until they have found their franchise player and only need to add pieces to compliment said player. However, I think they made a mistake of not offering Austin Rivers a decent contract. If I were Hinkie, I would have taken a chance and offered $20 mil over 4 years since I think Rivers has a ton of untapped potential and I like his attitude and strong desire to get better and better.
    Last edited by midatlantic09; 07-19-2015 at 05:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by MP.Trey
    See, Cavs fans? This is how you make a big move.
    Usually would have a pretty good comeback but for this? You sometimes have to just take it and laugh as I'm doing now. Hilarious post.

Quote Originally Posted by GOBB
    Usually would have a pretty good comeback but for this? You sometimes have to just take it and laugh as I'm doing now. Hilarious post.

NBA lottery pick

This guy is a gamer

funky wilkerbean?

Learning to shoot layups

Scottie played in Greece for AEK Athens last year,for 3 months. He seemed like a player with very good athletic skills who could play really good D.
    Never thought he would actually find a contract in the NBA so soon, though...

Local High School Star

Quote Originally Posted by Choke94
    Scottie played in Greece for AEK Athens last year,for 3 months. He seemed like a player with very good athletic skills who could play really good D.
    Never thought he would actually find a contract in the NBA so soon, though...
    Why not? He was SEC Player of the Year and was the best player on a top 3 college team.

I realize NBA teams are obsessed "upside" (even if a guy can't shoot or has 100 other flaws in his game) and combine measurements, but the SEC Player of the Year should be on an NBA roster regardless. The guy should have been drafted last year, at least somewhere in the 2nd round.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by midatlantic09
    Why not? He was SEC Player of the Year and was the best player on a top 3 college team.

I realize NBA teams are obsessed "upside" (even if a guy can't shoot or has 100 other flaws in his game) but the SEC Player of the Year should be on an NBA roster regardless.
    maybe because he wasn't that good really?

Local High School Star

Quote Originally Posted by Millslapped
    maybe because he wasn't that good really?
    Neither are most of the guys outside of the first round of the draft. He should have been picked up somewhere in the 2nd round of the 2014 draft. Teams always take a chance on athletic guys who can't actually play basketball or bigs who are total scrubs and clueless on the court, so why not take a chance on the SEC Player of the Year with the 47th pick or whatever?
    Last edited by midatlantic09; 07-19-2015 at 02:45 PM.

He'll be fine. He was automatic from 3.

NBA sixth man of the year Levity's Avatar

What's a Scott Wilbekin?

Learning to shoot layups

I believed that Wilbekin would continue playing pro-ball in Europe, possibly for a lucrative contract in Turkey or Spain. I agree that a player like him being undrafted even late in the 2nd was a major surprise, so he gets a chance to prove he can compete this year.