Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: If the Confederate Flag offends people...

Quote Originally Posted by GreggPopazit
    It wasn't that people weren't offended by it previously and the shooting suddenly made them offended. It was more that the shooting gave people who wanted it down the leverage to finally get it down.

Heck, the NCAA had a ban on the state from holding national championship games because of the flag.

A quick Google search shows many articles about people wanting it down prior to the shooting, including this one from October 2014: http://www.postandcourier.com/articl...campaign-issue

There were several efforts to get the flag removed over the years that got thwarted by the general assembly. Eventually a compromise was reached which took the flag off the capitol dome and put on a flagpole in front of the capitol. This action pleased no one. It finally took people getting killed to get it completely off the grounds.

Quote Originally Posted by rufuspaul
    There were several efforts to get the flag removed over the years that got thwarted by the general assembly. Eventually a compromise was reached which took the flag off the capitol dome and put on a flagpole in front of the capitol. This action pleased no one. It finally took people getting killed to get it completely off the grounds.
    And racism disappeared.

Except in the half dozen other states that have symbols of the confederacy in their flag.

If someone is offended by something must it be changed or eliminated?

Why are we as a society such liberal vahginas?

Quote Originally Posted by KNOW1EDGE

I point back to the same idea in a thread the other day...

People can't control their emotions anymore. It is never anybody's fault. There is always someone somewhere to blame.

Serious playground baller CeilingFan#1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by KNOW1EDGE

At a government building, with enough reason for people to be offended, sure. Let the rednecks be offensive all they want. Nobody is taking away their right to have their rebel flag, no matter how dumb they look.

Very good NBA starter

Being offended by the confederate flag, I get it, it's divisive. we could go back and forth for hours but I get it...

but, as the topic brings up... an American being offended by the US flag?? that's overly sensitive, "we should at every waking moment feel guilty for our past" bullshit. We talked about that in one of my college courses and thankfully people generally agreed.

But older generations agree too. About a month ago at my job I brought up the idea of removing the American flag due to it's supposed "offensive" nature, and this 40-something year old black dude who now works in the health insurance industry was just about flabbergasted. He said basically, "I spent 20 years of my life fighting for that flag". I feel where he's coming from.

But what next, are we going to be offended that white people exist? or that males exist? After all, they've done so much harm! /sarcasm

Next thing you know people are going to be offended that restaurant menus and street signs (etc) are not written in spanish, arabic, and chinese... because english-only is "offensive" to non-english speakers

Quote Originally Posted by warriorfan
    Most of the Confederate flag owners I have heard from try to say they don't support racism, they are into freedom and state rights and all that. While I see where they are coming from it's insanely disrespectful to try to just disregard the whole part of the institution of slavery which the Confederate flag also represents.

Shouldn't the US flag offend people just as much?

USA flag does represent the eradication of the Native Americans of North America whether you like it or not. I'm sure most people that fly the USA flag aren't celebrating genocide but at the same time you cannot turn a blind eye to it.

If people fly these flags while disregarding the atrocities that their nations have committed... What is the problem with flying a Nazi flag and claiming you aren't repping the extermination of Jews, but just the hard work and nationalism of the party?
    I agree 100%, that's why I burn an American flag every chance I get...I just uploaded this pic from my phone
    Last edited by TheMan; 07-30-2015 at 08:41 PM.