Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: should your wages be tied to the profitability of your company?

Quote Originally Posted by NumberSix
    Of course. Dan Gilbert must not make more than 20x what a Cavs janitor makes.
    Exactly. Number might be 20 or a little higher but that is exactly what I want for all corporations.

Quote Originally Posted by IGOTGAME
    Exactly. Number might be 20 or a little higher but that is exactly what I want for all corporations.
    So just max salary or max comp? I could see the salary thing not meaning a thing once bonuses and stock options come into play.

NBA Legend

Except Dan Gilbert makes a salary, and many employees make a wage. Ball boys work 10-12 hours a week while management (hell even players when you include practice, travel, media etc are working 40, 50, 60 hours a week.

But you still want to scale them against a 15 yr old ball boy working 10 hours a week retrieving basketballs at an NBA game?

Honestly, I think it's brilliant

Quote Originally Posted by Jailblazers7
    So just max salary or max comp? I could see the salary thing not meaning a thing once bonuses and stock options come into play.
    That's a good question. Gonna look into other countries that have done this. Seems like an interesting idea and I'd rather do this than raise min wage

Quote Originally Posted by Akrazotile
    Except Dan Gilbert makes a salary, and many employees make a wage. Ball boys work 10-12 hours a week while management (hell even players when you include practice, travel, media etc are working 40, 50, 60 hours a week.

But you still want to scale them against a 15 yr old ball boy working 10 hours a week retrieving basketballs at an NBA game?

Honestly, I think it's brilliant
    you know this isn't some foreign concept. Pretty sure it's already happening. Obviously someone has to draft good legislation to deal with issues like this but i like the fundamental thought process behind it

Opinions will vary here, depending on if you're currently a manager, employee, self employed or owner. I've been a manager, soldier and employee.

The most important thing to keep in mind is, if we are not employing as many people as possible, then don't go complaining about your house being robbed, homeless people on the street, or someone losing hope killing themselves and others.

Employment is so important for peoples self worth in life.

The value to production should only be bestowed on a worker when it comes to a sales role, so I think as it is it's the right way.

NBA Legend

you know this isn't some foreign concept. Pretty sure it's already happening. Obviously someone has to draft good legislation to deal with issues like this but i like the fundamental thought process behind it

Why not just refuse to pay 80 dollars for a basketball ticket? Or 10 dollars for a hotdog? Make these owners drop the prices, and while everyone at the bottom will still have to get paid, the people at the top will have less to pocket, and YOULL save yourself some money.

How bout teach kids not to pay $110 for sneakers?

How bout encouraging people to be smarter with money, that way savvy business people dont have a chance to just vaccuum it up?

When you put it in the hands of government, its only going to be abused, corrupted and manipulated. People will still find a way to be wealthy.
    Last edited by Akrazotile; 07-29-2015 at 09:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Akrazotile
    Why not just refuse to pay 80 dollars for a basketball ticket? Or 10 dollars for a hotdog? Make these owners drop the prices, and while everyone at the bottom will still have to get paid, the people at the top will have less to pocket, and YOULL save yourself some money.

How bout teach kids not to pay $110 for sneakers?

How bout encouraging people to be smarter with money, that way savvy business people dont have a chance to just vaccuum it up?

When you put it in the hands of government, its only going to be abused, corrupted and manipulated. People will still find a way to be wealthy.
    Personally I want a system where profits are shared with employers ... This seems to be a good way for this to happen.

In our current system no matter what actions we all take there will still be the same pitfalls regarding CEOs not reinvesting profits in their workforce. His would help the middle class

NBA Legend

Personally I want a system where profits are shared with employers ... This seems to be a good way for this to happen.

In our current system no matter what actions we all take there will still be the same pitfalls regarding CEOs not reinvesting profits in their workforce. His would help the middle class

Alright, well I mean if someone draws up a real strong proposal that isnt full of obvious holes than maybe it'd be something to look at. But I just think thatd be hard to do and I personally dont see this as one of the more meaningful things to focus on in terms of getting a more stable and balanced economy.

Profit sharing is already pretty common. Be it through target incentive, bonus, commission or straight stock option. They're all basically profit sharing. In one of my small inn business we shared 5% of the price of every room sold to the employees.

Quote Originally Posted by iamgine
    Profit sharing is already pretty common. Be it through target incentive, bonus, commission or straight stock option. They're all basically profit sharing. In one of my small inn business we shared 5% of the price of every room sold to the employees.
    I obviously would like much much more.

I obviously would like much much more.
    Those are not 5% of profit though...those are 5% of goods sold price.

No.

But if that were the case I'd go back to work for Nike.