Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    National High School Star I.R.Beast's Avatar

Default Re: What caused LeBron's scoring skillset to decline so much in one season?

Because he doesn't play with 2 stars in Wade and Bosh to inflate his percentages anymore. Half his points are'nt coming off of fastbreaks anymore. He actually has to isolate now. He actually has to shoot the ball now and can't protect his FG%. No more screen on every play while the defense stays at bay in fear of Wade and Bosh

Banned

Default Re: What caused LeBron's scoring skillset to decline so much in one season?

He's always been a streaky mid-range shooter. He just shot more mid-range last year than he did in Miami. Plus, he couldn't afford to be calculated about his shots either because of Love and Irving being injured.

2009-present Lebron hasn't changed much on the skillsets of things.

Quote Originally Posted by STATUTORY
    what decline?

he never had a consistent jump shot

weak post moves

even in his peak he was never a great or even good iso scorer, always requiring a pick to get by his man

it was the same lebron, defense just caught on and stopped doubling him. The worst thing you can do to Lebron is to double him because he will kill you with the pass. Single cover him and sag off on the perimeter and he will be rendered impotent
    damn, Bron gonna become the all time leading scorer with no post game, no jumpshot, weak one on one, all dunks

NBA sixth man of the year Indian guy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RRR3
    You didn't see a decline in his finishing ability and post game in the playoffs?
    I have never thought much of his post-game, to be honest. He's neither very skilled nor very willing. The best it ever looked was early 2014 season, but by mid-season he had basically abandoned that aspect of his game and went back to playing almost exclusively face-up. And even more so in Cleveland. Everything was basically high pick-n-roll or an iso from the top this past season. It changed come playoffs given what happened to Love and Kyrie, but I thought it looked like it always did - a mixed bag.

I could have sworn you commented on that, especially his decline in scoring with his left hand.
    True. I'd attribute it to a slight decline in his vertical, but nothing significant. He still shot 70% "at-rim" in the playoffs on high volume, which is very good and what he used to shoot pre-Miami.
    Last edited by Indian guy; 08-02-2015 at 02:20 PM.

Lebron's jumper seems to go awry if he has to rely too much on it. He's always been streaky and never at a level where he could consistently get 30 from perimeter shots( like MJ or Kobe).

WayOfWade
    Fan in the Stands (unregistered)

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonyeuw
    Lebron's jumper seems to go awry if he has to rely too much on it. He's always been streaky and never at a level where he could consistently get 30 from perimeter shots( like MJ or Kobe).
    True, he has good jump shooting games from time to time, but not too consistently, at least not last year.

Bear Chested Da Brawn STATUTORY's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ArbitraryWater
    damn, Bron gonna become the all time leading scorer with no post game, no jumpshot, weak one on one, all dunks
    n99a is good at the fastbreak and in transition

Quote Originally Posted by WayOfWade
    True, he has good jump shooting games from time to time, but not too consistently, at least not last year.
    The way I see it, if his driving game is on, and hes getting easy buckets in transition, then his jumper compliments that. If a team has the personal and philosophy to make him a jumpshooter, thats where things go awry. Its very much a confidence/ rhythm thing with his jumper.
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ofMwRzJynnc

I looked up some highlights and this series to me exemplifies Lebron at his peak best, getting out in transition, driving and finishing in the lane with incredible athleticism, but look at the confidence he's shooting the jumper with. If he was able to shoot with that kind of consistency over his career or at least the last 5 years, he very well may have another ring under his belt. THAT Lebron, though people consider 2012/2013 his peak, was the scariest one to me. All over the floor, the from-behind blocks, the athleticism, and shooting with that kind of confidence? This was the point when I first thought 'oh shit, this guy may be the one who tops MJ' just off that kind of display he was putting on back then. He never quite got there in spite of 2012 and 2013, but still. Unreal talent on display there....
    Last edited by Dragonyeuw; 08-02-2015 at 02:54 PM.

Local High School Star gilalizard's Avatar

post-hgh adjustment has gotta be tough

Lebron's lack of rhythm this past season was because of his sharp decrease in catch and shoot opportunities. He's always been a great shooter off the catch and the system in Miami enabled him to have way more shots like that. This past season he settled too much because there was no system in place. Hopefully Blatt is able to sit down and find a style of play that works for them.

Miami forced LeBron to play within an offensive system.

Now that he has free reign over a team again it's back to his top of the key isolation plays.

Quote Originally Posted by T_L_P
    Miami forced LeBron to play within an offensive system.

Now that he has free reign over a team again it's back to his top of the key isolation plays.
    He had plenty of "top of the key iso's" in Miami also.

Playing with teammates you never played with before and a brand new coach who has no NBA coaching experience all rolled into one, is the proper recipe for trying different systems and things to see what works best. Wouldn't expect a Spurs fan to realize that.

Not sure why people think that...... the way LeBron played in this past finals, is exactly how the offense ran during the regular season? Thinking that LeBron would have played exactly the same if Irving and Love were 100% healthy.

Other than his jumper this past Finals, him not finishing around the rim was the one thing I noticed most.

No roids, hgh, and had no skill to begin with

He's the same player he was on the heat its just that these guys dont go out of their way to pad LeBalds FG% with all those lob passes.

High School Varsity 6th Man

Mia offense made it easier because there were 3 guys who could create baskets for themselves and others(wade, bosh, lebron). Lebron had to do it all so the offense could focus on him. Big 3 in mia were the most efficient they ever were b/c they could get easier shots from each other. Also the cavs first year together so less experience. Next year lebron will shoot above 50% again(49.6% this season) if team is healthy