Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Decent playground baller coolhandsteve's Avatar

Default Straight Outta Compton movie discussion

(SPOILER ALERT)
    For those of you who've seen it, your thoughts on the movie?

Thought it was really good..one nitpick is I wish they would've gotten into the Dre-Eazy E beef more.

NBA Superstar

Default Re: Straight Outta Compton movie discussion

Solid movie. I thought the first hour or so was pretty fun, bordering on really fun; it was interesting to see the origins of it all, watching the movement swell as they made their way through mid-80's dance clubs and roller rinks. The low-riders, Dre's regrettable wardrobe, the humble-but-not-so-humble grass roots movement... that was all great. I caught myself smiling at a lot of moments there (the booth scene for what would become the track Boyz-n-the-Hood).

That said, the second half of the movie really slowed down a bit. It held my interest because it was content for which I was familiar and cared about. As in, I knew vaguely of Suge Knight's seedy past but it was interesting to see it play out on screen, behind the scenes and whatnot.

But yeah, in a way, it kind of felt like they were going down a checklist through the second portion of the film, marking off each life event one by one, subsequently resulting in the portrayal of a lot of real life things (mainly everyone getting mad at one another) but it didn't feel wonderfully paced at that point... and that's coming from someone who doesn't usually tend to criticize things like pace.

I thought the actors did a pretty good job. Ice Cube's son performs well and in some scenes, he looks nearly identical. The actor playing Eazy-E was also pretty convincing, though the foreshadowing of his sickness felt kind of fake. Dre's character was solid with the exception of the scene following his brother's death.

Lastly, I was afraid of Paul Giamatti as Jerry Heller because he had a corny line in the trailer about bringing guns on the bus and I thought he was going to be token corny white guy. But he actually did pretty well, and that scene was cut anyway.

Banned

SPOILER

Eazy E dies

Quote Originally Posted by coolhandsteve
    (SPOILER ALERT)
    How the fvck you gonna spoil a biopic?

Great movie

Quote Originally Posted by Shade8780
    SPOILER

Eazy E dies
    How???

Great college starter ThePhantomCreep's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rake2204
    Solid movie. I thought the first hour or so was pretty fun, bordering on really fun; it was interesting to see the origins of it all, watching the movement swell as they made their way through mid-80's dance clubs and roller rinks. The low-riders, Dre's regrettable wardrobe, the humble-but-not-so-humble grass roots movement... that was all great. I caught myself smiling at a lot of moments there (the booth scene for what would become the track Boyz-n-the-Hood).

That said, the second half of the movie really slowed down a bit. It held my interest because it was content for which I was familiar and cared about. As in, I knew vaguely of Suge Knight's seedy past but it was interesting to see it play out on screen, behind the scenes and whatnot.

But yeah, in a way, it kind of felt like they were going down a checklist through the second portion of the film, marking off each life event one by one, subsequently resulting in the portrayal of a lot of real life things (mainly everyone getting mad at one another) but it didn't feel wonderfully paced at that point... and that's coming from someone who doesn't usually tend to criticize things like pace.

I thought the actors did a pretty good job. Ice Cube's son performs well and in some scenes, he looks nearly identical. The actor playing Eazy-E was also pretty convincing, though the foreshadowing of his sickness felt kind of fake. Dre's character was solid with the exception of the scene following his brother's death.

Lastly, I was afraid of Paul Giamatti as Jerry Heller because he had a corny line in the trailer about bringing guns on the bus and I thought he was going to be token corny white guy. But he actually did pretty well, and that scene was cut anyway.
    100% agreed, if felt like there was too much story in the second half and not enough time to tell it, so it all felt a bit rushed. The first half, culminating with the show at Joe Louis Arena and Ice Cube's exit from the group, was damn near flawless.

This is a rare instance where an extra 30 minutes would have improved the film. Still really good though, a solid A-. Solid performances all around, good direction, and killer music.

The intro with Eazy was my favorite part of the movie and it was the best shot sequence and tense part of the film. The portrayal of Suge was great but Dre was made into an unbeliviable character without flaws. The look of Snoop was laughable tho. Who the hell trought that worked?
    Last edited by SugarHill; 08-18-2015 at 12:42 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by SugarHill
    The intro with Eazy was my favorite part of the movie and it was the best shot sequence and tense part of the film. The portrayal of Suge was great but Dre was made into an unbeliviable character without flaws. The look of Snoop was laughable tho. Who the hell trought that worked?
    Nipsey would've been the perfect Snoop

Quote Originally Posted by ekosky
    Nipsey would've been the perfect Snoop
    That's very true. Even Wiz would work better but Nipsey perfect becUse he could pull off the voice and accent. Man I could have been more convincing than the Murphy Lee lookin guy they had. Remember when he came on screen and I kept thinking who are these random guys wearing crip colors in Suge's studio smh. Some guy in the theatre yelled out "what?!" when he said his name was Snoop. At least he pulled off the voice and song so it wasn't all bad:

Good movie.

Great parts.

Coulda been shorter.

I grew up right in all that shit. It did a good job making put me right back there.

Just too long. Middle kinda dragged.

Overall 8/10

Loved it. Absolutely loved it, especially since im a guy who listens to 90s rap more than modern rap (which is garbage these days). The story was great, and the actors played their roles perfectly. I'd definitely recommend it, even if you aren't into NWA or old school rap in general.

Great college starter ThePhantomCreep's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SugarHill
    That's very true. Even Wiz would work better but Nipsey perfect becUse he could pull off the voice and accent. Man I could have been more convincing than the Murphy Lee lookin guy they had. Remember when he came on screen and I kept thinking who are these random guys wearing crip colors in Suge's studio smh. Some guy in the theatre yelled out "what?!" when he said his name was Snoop. At least he pulled off the voice and song so it wasn't all bad:

Snoop is only in this for a few scenes, and the performance was decent, that's all that matters. Looks aren't everything anyway--Jason Mitchell looks nothing like Eazy E yet it's never an issue. He gives arguably the best performance in the movie.

I am so excited to go see this movie with my girl tonight.
    Bitch better not ask me questions; I'm going to be tuned in for the whole 3 hours.

Decent playground baller coolhandsteve's Avatar

One of the big things they left out though was the Dre/Eazy beef. I know the movie was 2 1/2 hours long anyway but still...I was looking forward to Dre Day & Real MF'n Gs. Their feud got pretty nasty.