Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Chuck Hayes Stan Timmy D for MVP's Avatar

Default Basketball Topics for a Research Paper

I'm taking a Senior Seminar to finally finish up my history degree. In it I have to write a paper on a topic of my choice that is original work. Basically like a mini-thesis (18-30 pages) that proves I can be a real life historian and contribute in some manner to the field.

I have long wanted to do historical research in basketball, and this is a great opportunity to do so. I am having a hard time coming up with a topic at this juncture that I can explore in enough depth. So in order to help I would like to ask ISH:

What parts of basketball history interest you? What are some blind spots that you wish there was more information on. or something to be expanded on? Anything would be pretty helpful.

Banned

Default Re: Basketball Topics for a Research Paper

***** size through out each era. Not just length but girth.

Banned

Banned

I would write about Wilt Chamberlain because you can put together a paper with what Lazerus posts.

-or-

You can write about defenses of today vs. the past and use Michael Jordan as a reference because 3ball has written a lot about it.

Or you can write about religion or social issues because I have pieced together tons of paper from threads.

Very easy and you came to the right place.

If you need research....I personally have made big ass threads and you can get some stuff of it.

There is a nice immigration thread going on right now.

The history of the 3point line. Why is was added, the distance differences/changed and how it worked in different leagues... NCAA, ABA, NBA, Fiba...

The basics are here but seems like a topic you could get 20 pages from easy and be interested in (Id be interested in reading deeper into how ABA used it as a marketing tool vs the NBA)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Three-point_field_goal

NBA sixth man of the year Thorpesaurous's Avatar

The three point line is a good one. The shot clock is another, but there was an article a few years ago about the guy who invented the shot clock just after he died that pretty much covers everything.

I've always felt there was an up and down nature of size in the league ("sinusoidal" if you're looking for good paper words). The seventies seem small, particularly at the PF position, then got bigger in the 80s and into the 90s, then seemed to start getting smaller again. Something tracking the size of rosters on average, and maybe the sizes at position, might be interesting.

You can never go wrong in a school paper addressing race. The quiet integration of the league. Bill Russell's tenuous relationship with the city of Boston. The concern over perception in the 70s. The almost reverse perception of racism of the Celtics in the 80s who were seen as too white. There's a paper in there for sure.

Banned

2002 game 6 Lakers Kings

Would make a great and very interesting research essay

Some dude on the main board spews the same shit about how defenses have changed over the years.

Figured that'd be a pretty easy topic. And hes done all the research for you.

NBA sixth man of the year knickballer's Avatar

How Basketball bridges cultural understanding(something along those lines)?

How Basketball has shifted from a sport played by WASPS to an African American sport and the cultural influences it has in Urban communities.

How the 24 second shot clock placed an emphasis on athleticism rather than technical ability and how it's being reflected in the current NBA. Different in comparison with College and International ball where more team ball is emphasized.

Other topics is rise of salary cap, better to tank, effects of the ASU teams, etc.

A good James Naismith or start of the BAA from 1946 would be interesting to me ,especially if you looking at 18+ pages .

National High School Star

Quote Originally Posted by Timmy D for MVP
    I'm taking a Senior Seminar to finally finish up my history degree. In it I have to write a paper on a topic of my choice that is original work. Basically like a mini-thesis (18-30 pages) that proves I can be a real life historian and contribute in some manner to the field.

I have long wanted to do historical research in basketball, and this is a great opportunity to do so. I am having a hard time coming up with a topic at this juncture that I can explore in enough depth. So in order to help I would like to ask ISH:

What parts of basketball history interest you? What are some blind spots that you wish there was more information on. or something to be expanded on? Anything would be pretty helpful.
    It's kind of pointless to say this because you are not familiar with the level of work involved with each different topics (e.g., some have much more information available).

Personally, I think the transformation of the sport from the 70's till the present time is the most "relevant" historical conversation you could provide us with. A behind the looking glass account of how the league progressed from somewhat relevant to ingrained in our society.

Areas to consider (chronologically): Bird, Magic, Jordan, Media, globalization, Iverson, Internet, Kobe, China, Contracts, Television Deals, Social Media

Tangential areas to consider: Race, target audience, commissioners, rules, players interactions with fans etc.

Banned

You are actually an idiot if you don't write about game 6 of the 2002 WCF.

I think the racial issues are probably most compelling for a high level paper.

[list][*]Comparative integration of the NBA vs. NCAA with US Civil Rights progress as the backdrop.
    [*]Or for an even broader scope, comparative integration across all sports with a focus on the NBA and the challenges they faced with a sport more central to African-Americans.
    [*]Bird vs Magic, the white superstar, and the struggle of Stern moving the league out of the early 80's cocaine and drug issues.
    [*]Building on that, the struggle of marketing black stars to white America, while juxtaposed to the NFL's ease with star white quarterbacks, but contrasting that with the global success of the NBA into Asian markets where the NFL has struggled mightily.[/list]

why I even like Rondo CeltsGarlic's Avatar

Rafel Alston adiction to visit ISH everyday

Chuck Hayes Stan Timmy D for MVP's Avatar

I have explored the idea of writing a paper that uses basketball as a jump off point to examine racial issues. I feel it's the obvious subject, but interesting nonetheless.

I have also considered trying to find a topic within the globalization of basketball, and why that of all games has exploded around the world.

The suggestion of the 3-point line is very very interesting. I have a couple weeks to mull it over so I'll take into consideration my options in this topic and in a couple others.

I appreciate the input guys.