Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Default Re: Can anyone on this site beat JJ Barrea 1on 1?

I'd beat Barea 1 on 1....at foosball

Quote Originally Posted by SugarHill
    why would barea have the shoot a jumper? who on ish is stopping barea from scoring at will? how many 6'6 250 guys on ish who are capable of scoring on an nba player at will (aka keeping possession for a whole game)?
    because anyone on ISH would probably have to play two steps off of him because of his quickness.

Quote Originally Posted by swagga
    Never heard about the no offensive rebounds rule, probably some shit invented by people in love with jumpers, people that don't know that the defensive possession ends only after you secure the defensive rebound..... no rebounds looks like fagggot ball tbh.
    Honestly first time I saw it was on the white mamba games on YouTube.

It's actually a pretty good way to train one one one. I understand the defense doesn't stop until you secure the rebound, but it's a good way to balance a game if you keep possession when you score.

Regardless, even if you can offensive rebound, trying to post up an nba level guy who's defended bigger players all his life is a tall task. Much less, posting up from the 3pt line

Quote Originally Posted by SugarHill
    why would barea have the shoot a jumper? who on ish is stopping barea from scoring at will? how many 6'6 250 guys on ish who are capable of scoring on an nba player at will (aka keeping possession for a whole game)?
    Some of the DII guys I went against were 6'6/ 6'7 and built.

If barea starts, these guys would camp the lane, defending physically and waiting for a miss.
    If they got the ball in a winners keepers game, I'd put my money on them.

I don't know if they post on ISH, but I've heard of this site from that same group. No idea. I was arguing that there are people out there that would win a 1v1 game against an NBA player. If they post on ISH or not is secondary.

NBA Superstar

Never heard about the no offensive rebounds rule, probably some shit invented by people in love with jumpers, people that don't know that the defensive possession ends only after you secure the defensive rebound..... no rebounds looks like fagggot ball tbh.

a big guy 6'6" 250 with good skill and good handles would beat barea if it's winners keepers. He'd back barea down constantly and barea wouldn't be able to stop him even once. Barea is bound to miss a jumper and then it's game over. Anybody who played 1v1 long enough knows this.
    Interestingly, the "dead ball" 1-on-1 format can be a great workout for very specific skills. Killing the play after a single shot means a defender's entire effort and energy is devoted to stopping the offensive player from moving anywhere, with no energy wasted by chasing down loose balls and whatnot. We'd also put a cap on available dribbles per possession to add another level of strategy and urgency.

But generally speaking, outside of specific workouts, we've generally played the looser form of 1-on-1.

Separately, a 6'6'' 250-pound guy with good skills and good handles would seem to have the possibility of a chance against Barea, but those types don't necessarily grow on trees, nor does it touch on their ability to guard Barea defensively.

My brother was 6'6'' 250 (he's down from that number now) and, without bias, he has the best amateur post-game arsenal I've ever seen in my life. He's got shortcomings in other aspects of his game but somehow, he was blessed with the feel and ability to pull off Hakeem Olajuwon drop-steps, up-fakes, step-throughs, spins, and fallaways without having to think twice.

I was originally going to say I envisioned Barea forcing enough resistance and stripping the rock with regularity, but on second thought, I could see my brother experiencing a modicum of success on Barea in the post. But even then, my brother doesn't make every post shot he takes inside. And if Barea were to take over possession, I can't really imagine seeing my brother's 6'6'' 250 doing anything but getting blown by. Not to mention the inevitable fatigue factor.

Oddly, sometimes it's the little fellers who make post players work the hardest. Players of similar stature to the post player can oftentimes rely upon getting a hand up and contesting. The little guys, meanwhile, have only their low center of gravity and ability to try to muscle the big guy away from the hoop. Without hand-checking fouls, since it's one-on-one, little guys taking the bigger fellows out of their comfort zone in the post is more common than some may want to believe.

I haphazardly admit that, at 6'3'', I've been worn out by taking a 5'10'' guy in the post. I was able to succeed, but I had to work for it, and I couldn't do it endlessly due to fatigue. I'm pretty sure it'd have been easier just to face him up and either shoot over him and beat him with speed, in hindsight.
    Last edited by Rake2204; 09-11-2015 at 10:51 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by gasolina
    Honestly first time I saw it was on the white mamba games on YouTube.

It's actually a pretty good way to train one one one. I understand the defense doesn't stop until you secure the rebound, but it's a good way to balance a game if you keep possession when you score.

Regardless, even if you can offensive rebound, trying to post up an nba level guy who's defended bigger players all his life is a tall task. Much less, posting up from the 3pt line
    barea has rarely defended people bigger than 6'5. Defended is a big word. Any NBA offense would attack that mismatch.

Decent college freshman theaussieguy's Avatar

I love Barea. People look at him and think da *** is this guy doing in the NBA. Then you realize at 5'9 and white he can dunk which automatically makes him a superior athlete. Then you see him take people off the dribble and realize he has some serious speed and agility. Then you see him drain 3 pointers and realize he is skilled as ***.

One of my favourite players

edit: just thought i'd say, maybe he was 185 lbs at some point in his career, but after watching his FIBA highlights, there is no way in hell he is that heavy these days, I'd say 170lbs absolute max. Doesn't take anything away from him just makes him more impressive.
    Last edited by theaussieguy; 09-11-2015 at 10:52 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rake2204
    Interestingly, the "dead ball" 1-on-1 format can be a great workout for very specific skills. Killing the play after a single shot means a defender's entire effort and energy is devoted to stopping the offensive player from moving anywhere, with no energy wasted by chasing down loose balls and whatnot. We'd also put a cap on available dribbles per possession to add another level of strategy and urgency.

But generally speaking, outside of specific workouts, we've generally played the looser form of 1-on-1.

Separately, a 6'6'' 250-pound guy with good skills and good handles would seem to have the possibility of a chance against Barea, but those types don't necessarily grow on trees, nor does it touch on their ability to guard Barea defensively.

My brother was 6'6'' 250 (he's down from that number now) and, without bias, he has the best amateur post-game arsenal I've ever seen in my life. He's got shortcomings in other aspects of his game but somehow, he was blessed with the feel and ability to pull off Hakeem Olajuwon drop-steps, up-fakes, step-throughs, spins, and fallaways without having to think twice.

I was originally going to say I envisioned Barea forcing enough resistance and stripping the rock with regularity, but on second thought, I could see my brother experiencing a modicum of success on Barea in the post. But even then, my brother doesn't make every post shot he takes inside. And if Barea were to take over possession, I can't really imagine seeing my brother's 6'6'' 250 doing anything but getting blown by. Not to mention the inevitable fatigue factor.
    I agree with you on all your points.
    But from where I'm from (90s NY) street 1v1 is a physical game where big bullies win. If your brother would be allowed to go full physical in a winners keepers game, back down with no dribble cap, don't you think he'd get such deep position on every possession that the defense of a guy who is closer to 5'8 would barely matter?

NBA Superstar

I agree with you on all your points.
    But from where I'm from (90s NY) street 1v1 is a physical game where big bullies win. If your brother would be allowed to go full physical in a winners keepers game, back down with no dribble cap, don't you think he'd get such deep position on every possession that the defense of a guy who is closer to 5'8 would barely matter?
    On a single case basis, where if someone gave my 6'6'' 250-pound brother one possession against J.J. Barea and said, "Score", I think he's got a pretty good chance due to his size and post-savvy.

However, there seems to be a lot of room for failure in trying to do that over and over in a full game of 1-on-1. If my brother misses a chippy, because even if he's got moves like Hakeem - he's not Hakeem, and J.J. takes over in a make-it-take-it format, I'd wonder how many more opportunities my brother would have. And if the game is played by 1's and 2's, my brother would be forced to guard Barea tight and watch him blow by, or watch him rain down trey balls that'd put my brother in a deficit quickly.

With the ball bouncing the right way under the right rules (maybe alternating possession), I could see my 6'6'' 250-pound brother competing with the 5'9'' Barea, but I still wonder about the fatigue as well. I think that always gets overlooked in these hypotheticals. One of the greatest assets of professional basketball players is not only their wonderful skills, but it's their ability to perform those wonderful skills without tiring much. It doesn't seem like it would be, but 1-on-1 can get tiring, especially for regular folk in comparison to their professional opponent.
    Last edited by Rake2204; 09-11-2015 at 11:50 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by gasolina
    I don't think you're allowed for offenice rebounds on most 1vs1 games. Once you get the shot off, blocked or not, it goes the other way unless you make the basket.

Also, one has to be fit enough to back down barea every ****ing time w/o getting gassed. Not only is he built like a rock, he's got quick hands to steal the ball or make you pick up the dribble. He's also got a lifetime of experience defending bigger players trying to post him up.

What happens if you pick up the dribble 20 feet from the basket? Miss a turnaround fadeaway.

Then 5 seconds after that he's making you dance from the 3pt line....
    Yeah, Barrera would have some serious leverage down low and the guy playing him would not only have to have a pretty good size advantage (probably 6'8" up) but also be strong enough to back him down along with having enough skills to not get it stripped while backing him down and possess some post moves.

That's a lot of criteria that must be met. I don't know if anyone in here possesses them. But if they did, they have a chance. 1 on 1 is different from 5 on 5.
    Last edited by ClipperRevival; 09-11-2015 at 11:44 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rake2204
    On a single case basis, where if someone gave my 6'6'' 250-pound brother possession against J.J. Barea and said, "Score", I think he's got a pretty good chance due to his size and post-savvy.

However, there seems to be a lot of room for failure in trying to do that over and over in a full game of 1-on-1. If my brother misses a chippy, because even if he's got moves like Hakeem - he's not Hakeem, and J.J. takes over in a make-it-take-it format, I'd wonder how many more opportunities my brother would have. And if the game is played by 1's and 2's, my brother would be forced to guard Barea tight and watch him blow by, or watch him rain down trey balls that'd put my brother in a deficit quickly.

With the ball bouncing the right way under the right rules (maybe alternating possession), I could see my 6'6'' 250-pound brother competing with the 5'9'' Barea, but I still wonder about the fatigue as well. I think that always gets overlooked in these hypotheticals. One of the greatest assets of professional basketball players is not only their wonderful skills, but it's their ability to perform those wonderful skills without tiring much. It doesn't seem like it would be, but 1-on-1 can get tiring, especially for regular folk in comparison to their professional opponent.
    Yeah, Barrera is going to get his on offense pretty easily so your brother would have to be on point with his offense just to have a chance. Of course being 6'6" helps tremendously with rebounding misses though. That's why height/length matters greatly in 1 on 1. You don't have to worry about help defenders or anyone else, it's just you and your opponent.

College superstar

Reading this thread, it seems like some people think that real life is a video game. If a bigger, stronger player wants to back someone down, they just hit the R1 button or something. It is not that easy. Not against vastly superior quickness.

Assuming Barea wanted to win 11-0...
    Barea would steal the ball from 90% of ISH 90% of the time, whether ISHer is trying to back him down or not.

Barea is faster, stronger, quicker, with better handles and hops, a better shot, better intangibles than 95% of ISH.

If he did not want any one of us to score, we would not, save a miracle. It's that simple. This is COMPLETELY different than the 5 on 5 hypotheticals in which I frequently say we could hit OPEN jumpers. If Barea, or any NBA player, does not want us to score, it is not happening unless we get powerball-lotto lucky.. or unless there is a serious, serious baller here.

Decent college freshman

I would lose for reasons already mentioned in this thread, and it wouldn't be close. My only hope would be to start with the ball and play make it/take it.

I have a height and weight advantage on Barea and have a strong lower body, so If I'm really lucky that day I could keep posting him up.

However, I'd have little hope of guarding him out on the perimeter if I miss. This guy would drill 3s over us if we sag off of him. He's stuck around in the NBA for a reason.

Not to mention the conditioning advantage he'd have over me if I have to consistently guard him on the wing.

Quote Originally Posted by kshutts1
    Reading this thread, it seems like some people think that real life is a video game. If a bigger, stronger player wants to back someone down, they just hit the R1 button or something. It is not that easy. Not against vastly superior quickness.

Assuming Barea wanted to win 11-0...
    Barea would steal the ball from 90% of ISH 90% of the time, whether ISHer is trying to back him down or not.

Barea is faster, stronger, quicker, with better handles and hops, a better shot, better intangibles than 95% of ISH.

If he did not want any one of us to score, we would not, save a miracle. It's that simple. This is COMPLETELY different than the 5 on 5 hypotheticals in which I frequently say we could hit OPEN jumpers. If Barea, or any NBA player, does not want us to score, it is not happening unless we get powerball-lotto lucky.. or unless there is a serious, serious baller here.
    Please. Don't act like NBA players are Gods, especially in a 1 on 1 game. Yes, Barrera is one of the best players in the world, especially given his size. But basketball is basketball. If you can play, you can play. In a 1 on 1 game, where you don't have to worry about the pace or help D coming, height/length matters a lot.

And like I said, if a guy is tall enough, has enough skills and is strong enough to back Barrera down, that guy has a chance. A chance. I didn't say he would beat him.

In 1 on 1, when most people are seriously trying to beat the other guy, it just comes down to a game of backing the other guy down and taking high pct shots.

What if this was Spud Webb from the 80s? Would that change anything?