Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Default Re: Can anyone on this site beat JJ Barrea 1on 1?

Quote Originally Posted by Marchesk
    What if this was Spud Webb from the 80s? Would that change anything?
    Webb would be easier to beat because he's lighter and isn't as strong as Barrera so the big guys in our hypothetical scenario would have an easier time backing him down. Of course Webb is more explosive than Barrera but both guys would have no trouble getting theirs on offense.

College superstar

Quote Originally Posted by ClipperRevival
    Please. Don't act like NBA players are Gods, especially in a 1 on 1 game. Yes, Barrera is one of the best players in the world, especially given his size. But basketball is basketball. If you can play, you can play. In a 1 on 1 game, where you don't have to worry about the pace or help D coming, height/length matters a lot.

And like I said, if a guy is tall enough, has enough skills and is strong enough to back Barrera down, that guy has a chance. A chance. I didn't say he would beat him.

In 1 on 1, when most people are seriously trying to beat the other guy, it just comes down to a game of backing the other guy down and taking high pct shots.
    I take that stance myself, so believe me when I say that's not the case. But anyone that truly plays basketball knows that athleticism and skills are just as, if not more, important than size in one on one.
    Size has a counter (it's generally speed). Athleticism and skills do not.
    Not to mention that Barea may be SMALLER than a lot of us here, but is also stronger than a lot of us. So physical size? Sure. We have him beat there. But he will out-jump, out-run, out-quick and out-strength (lol) most of us.

Quote Originally Posted by kshutts1
    I take that stance myself, so believe me when I say that's not the case. But anyone that truly plays basketball knows that athleticism and skills are just as, if not more, important than size in one on one.
    [COLOR="Red"]Size has a counter (it's generally speed). Athleticism and skills do not[/COLOR].
    Not to mention that Barea may be SMALLER than a lot of us here, but is also stronger than a lot of us. So physical size? Sure. We have him beat there. But he will out-jump, out-run, out-quick and out-strength (lol) most of us.
    If you could counter size with speed, the NBA would not be littered with tall people. You can render speed, athleticism and skills moot at times with length/size, especially in a 1 on 1 game where it's just you and the other guy. And if you have a significant advantage in height/length, you really have a big advantage if your skill level isn't that far off from the guy you are playing.

This is like basketball 101. Of course if you just throw a tall dude that lacks any coordination and has cement feet with no skills, he gets destroyed. But in my hypothetical scenario, I am talking about a guy about a foot taller who has a pretty good level of skill and can play the game.

College superstar

If you could counter size with speed, the NBA would not be littered with tall people. You can render speed, athleticism and skills moot at times with length/size, especially in a 1 on 1 game where it's just you and the other guy. And if you have a significant advantage in height/length, you really have a big advantage if your skill level isn't that far off from the guy you are playing.

This is like basketball 101. Of course if you just throw a tall dude that lacks any coordination and has cement feet with no skills, he gets destroyed. But in my hypothetical scenario, I am talking about a guy about a foot taller who has a pretty good level of skill and can play the game.
    I'm sorry, are we still talking about ISHer v Barea, one on one? Or are we talking about some other hypthetical?

Zero guys on ISH are a foot taller than Barea.
    No one, hell, no two people added together, are at a skill level close to Barea.

I'm sorry, are we still talking about ISHer v Barea, one on one? Or are we talking about some other hypthetical?

Zero guys on ISH are a foot taller than Barea.
    No one, hell, no two people added together, are at a skill level close to Barea.
    Any ISHer who might be 6'8" or above who can play the game. I mean really play the game and knows what he's doing, not just being tall and uncoordinated with cement feet.

Maybe I'm just arrogant but I'm not in awe of NBA player's skill levels. I am more in awe of their athleticism. That is God given. Skills can be learned and improved upon all the time, athleticism and height/length can't.

It's not like NBA players are by default the most skilled basketball players in the world. Most of them are there because they hit the genetic lottery, not for being the most skilled.

A guy like Barrera being only 5'11" is vulnerable in a 1 on 1 game against noticeably taller guys. It's just that simple. If a big guy knows what he's doing, he's going to back Barrera down possession after possession. No shot clock, no help coming. He can take his time.

College superstar

Any ISHer who might be 6'8" or above who can play the game. I mean really play the game and knows what he's doing, not just being tall and uncoordinated with cement feet.

Maybe I'm just arrogant but I'm not in awe of NBA player's skill levels. I am more in awe of their athleticism. That is God given. Skills can be learned and improved upon all the time, athleticism and height/length can't.

It's not like NBA players are by default the most skilled basketball players in the world. Most of them are there because they hit the genetic lottery, not for being the most skilled.

A guy like Barrera being only 5'11" is vulnerable in a 1 on 1 game against noticeably taller guys. It's just that simple. If a big guy knows what he's doing, he's going to back Barrera down possession after possession. No shot clock, no help coming. He can take his time.
    I 100% agree with all of that. But those agreed-upon theories/thoughts do not change the fact that no single player on ISH fits that bill, which is why I want to know if we're discussing the hypothetical of any non-professional baller in the world beating Barea... or someone on ISH beating Barea

I 100% agree with all of that. But those agreed-upon theories/thoughts do not change the fact that no single player on ISH fits that bill, which is why I want to know if we're discussing the hypothetical of any non-professional baller in the world beating Barea... or someone on ISH beating Barea
    Anyone in the world about 6'8" who can really play the game and knows what he's doing has a chance to beat Barrera.

If you made me 6'8", I would beat Barrera. It's not like NBA players have some secret formula to play the game that the rest of the world doesn't. Basketball is the same on the playgrounds as it is in the NBA. The core fundamentals are the same. If you can play, you can play. I would back Barrera down every single time and he would be at my mercy. He would have no shot of blocking my shot. His best chance would be to get steals but I can handle the rock so I would shield him with my larger frame. And when I guard him, I would have a decent chance of affecting his shots with my size.

College superstar

Anyone in the world about 6'8" who can really play the game and knows what he's doing has a chance to beat Barrera.

If you made me 6'8", I would beat Barrera. It's not like NBA players have some secret formula to play the game that the rest of the world doesn't. Basketball is the same on the playgrounds as it is in the NBA. The core fundamentals are the same. If you can play, you can play. I would back Barrera down every single time and he would be at my mercy. He would have no shot of blocking my shot. His best chance would be to get steals but I can handle the rock so I would shield him with my larger frame. And when I guard him, I would have a decent chance of affecting his shots with my size.
    Ok, so not someone on ISH, like the OP asked. Got it.
    Then I agree with the bolded completely.

Ok, so not someone on ISH, like the OP asked. Got it.
    Then I agree with the bolded completely.
    "Can someone on ISH beat Barea?"

"Dude, somebody who could be Barrera could beat Barrera"

Future NBA G.O.A.T inclinerator's Avatar

unless u played d1 i dont think u have a chance at all

Local High School Star

He isn't 5'11''.

Good college starter Locked_Up_Tonight's Avatar

Barea as a rookie in the 06-07 season did not get any playing time at all with the Mavericks. He was the human victory cigar. Avery decided to give him some minutes in the D-League. The Mavs played a game on Thursday/Friday... and had a couple of nights off. Barea played for the Dallas Legends (their D-League affiliate) on Saturday. He stepped off the plane, did not practice with the team, barely had a uniform for that night's game and dropped 40 points in that D-League game. Avery called him back up the next day.

Some posters might score on him but you would not be beating him.

Jesus fcking Christ, Barea once defended Lebaldo in the post and made him fall on his ass in a finals game. I can guarantee no one from ISH will be able to do such an incredible feat.

Quote Originally Posted by Asukal
    Jesus fcking Christ, Barea once defended Lebaldo in the post and made him fall on his ass in a finals game. I can guarantee no one from ISH will be able to do such an incredible feat.
    Actually it wouldn't be that hard to make Lebron fall down. Just pretend to foul him and he'll do the rest

Future NBA G.O.A.T inclinerator's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by LONGTIME
    He isn't 5'11''.
    yea more like 5'10