Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456

Default Re: Can anyone on this site beat JJ Barrea 1on 1?

Quote Originally Posted by ralph_i_el
    No one on here has half a chance in hell. Who is quick enough to guard him on the perimeter? Even if you are a complete stud athlete, he's going to kill you.

I'm a pretty strong dude and I can usually get the better of my defender when we make contact. I'm 6'0 175. Barea is like 5'7" 185. That's built.
    6'0

Strong? Nope.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by dubeta
    Lol I'd dunk on that midget
    STFU the only thing your dunking is donuts in your coffee you fat fvck

Quote Originally Posted by ClipperRevival
    Anyone in the world about 6'8" who can really play the game and knows what he's doing has a chance to beat Barrera.

If you made me 6'8", I would beat Barrera. It's not like NBA players have some secret formula to play the game that the rest of the world doesn't. Basketball is the same on the playgrounds as it is in the NBA. The core fundamentals are the same. If you can play, you can play. I would back Barrera down every single time and he would be at my mercy. He would have no shot of blocking my shot. His best chance would be to get steals but I can handle the rock so I would shield him with my larger frame. And when I guard him, I would have a decent chance of affecting his shots with my size.

Ok, so like a 6'8" D1 player. Like Jabari Parker or Julius Randle. Ok yeah, as their college selves they'd have a chance against Barea. Is your argument that a highly skilled and athletic player who's 6'8" will beat 5'10" Barea as if it's not common knowledge that you cant teach size?

Because that's not what this topic is about. And in a game of 1v1, it can really go either way. I don't see too many people in history beating 5'10" Allen Iverson in 1v1. Now you can ask who on ISH is comparable to college Jabari Parker or even Marcus Morris?
    Last edited by oarabbus; 09-12-2015 at 03:32 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by oarabbus
    Ok, so like a 6'8" D1 player. Like Jabari Parker or Julius Randle. Ok yeah, as their college selves they'd have a chance against Barea. Is your argument that a highly skilled and athletic player who's 6'8" will beat 5'10" Barea as if it's not common knowledge that you cant teach size?

Because that's not what this topic is about. And in a game of 1v1, it can really go either way. I don't see too many people in history beating 5'10" Allen Iverson in 1v1. Now you can ask who on ISH is comparable to college Jabari Parker or even Marcus Morris?
    No, I am saying a regular baller around 6'8" who really knows what he's doing and can play the game has a good shot at beating him. 1 on 1 is different from 5 on 5. There is no double coming and no shot clock. As the much bigger and taller guy, you can take your time backing down Barea until you get deep position and can shoot over the much shorter guy. When you are that much shorter, there is only so much you can do in terms of contesting shots and grabbing boards. Again, I am saying this person must really know how to play the game, not just be a novice.

Having said that, no one in here probably fits that bill.

So having said that, no one in here probably fits that bill. So it's a moot point.

Does OP mean for JJ Barea to be an "everyman" type NBA player?

A better question might be Steve Blake. JJ Barea doesn't quite have the size to be a star in the NBA, but he's a legit 6th man. It's not even uncommon for him to go for 20, with 10 in the fourth. Or to lead a comeback in the fourth, scoring or assisting on 50% of the buckets. He's closer to Jamal Crawford than Brian Scalabrine.

Steve Blake's never been that guy anywhere. He was a very good PG in college and a rotation player, sometimes starter, in the NBA. But he's there because he's smart, works hard, keeps the ball moving, and hits open shots. There are probably people here with a comparable talent level who don't "fit in" as well in a team setting, maybe don't bring the desirable role player skills, and that's why they're posting here and not at the end of an NBA bench making $1m+ per year.

I'm not saying Blake wouldn't beat everyone here, but I think it's more questionable than JJ.

Chuck Hayes Stan Timmy D for MVP's Avatar

Most the short dudes in the NBA can flat out ball. That's why they've made it to the NBA despite their height. Even the ones that can't ball in the NBA would easily be the best person on 99% of courts outside the league.

So for someone who is 6' like me, I would have to pick someone similar in height, and they're all likely fast and strong as shit. If I pick someone bigger they're just going to completely overwhelm me.

So... my goal would be to score a single basket. They can spot me 10, I start with the ball every time, and maybe I beat them once.

Quote Originally Posted by 24-Inch_Chrome
    No one here would score a point on him.
    Speak for yourself, @sswipe.

If i can cause a 400 pound gorilla to run away, I'm sure a could back in that strong little boriqua and at least score a post-up back down cheapie, maybe also hit a three or two.

But if it's make it take it, as soon as he got the ball he would rattle off consecutive buckets at will and destroy me and make me look foolish.