Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456
    NBA Legend and Hall of Famer 3ball's Avatar

Default Re: Whose defends Grant Hill better here?

Quote Originally Posted by DoctorP

Prime Grant Hill was not garbage.
    Actually, from Grant Hill's rookie year in 1995, to his 3rd season in 1997 when he was selected for 1st Team All-NBA, everyone thought Grant Hill was better than Pippen.

He could have been selected 1st team from his rookie year but Pippen was boosted by 3-peating as the second option on the Bulls.. But anyone with 2 eyes saw that Grant had superior skill, bigger star potential and a ton of upside to go.. His last year before he got hurt, he averaged 26 ppg, which was a 5 point increase.

[COLOR="blue"]G. Hill 1995-1998: 20.7 ppg.. 8.3 rpg.. 6.5 apg.. 47.1% fg.. 21.7 PER[/COLOR]
    [COLOR="red"]Pippen 1995-1998: 20.2 ppg.. 6.7 rpg.. 5.6 apg.. 46.9% fg.. 21.4 PER[/COLOR]

The gap becomes bigger if we include 99' and 00'.
    Last edited by 3ball; 10-10-2015 at 05:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by K Xerxes

I don't think Pippen was an ATG man to man defender like Jordan, but his team defense was enormously important to our success
    MJ's and Pippen's stats apples-to-apples stats against All-Star Paul Pierce (posted earlier) show that MJ was the better man-to-man defender.

MJ's help defense was better than Pippen's too.. But Pippen benefited from being able conserve energy and specialize defensively, since MJ was shouldering between [COLOR="Navy"]50% to 300% bigger offensive load[/COLOR].
    Last edited by 3ball; 10-10-2015 at 05:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 3ball
    MJ's and Pippen's stats apples-to-apples stats against All-Star Paul Pierce (posted earlier) show that MJ was the better man-to-man defender.

MJ's help defense was better than Pippen's too.. But Pippen benefited from being able conserve energy and specialize defensively, since MJ was shouldering between [COLOR="Navy"]50% to 300% bigger offensive load[/COLOR].
    Lol. Only why you would be so hellbent on centering your argument around two players that age. They both were in their late 30s. Come on. And let's not forget that Jordan took time off so he was a lot more fresher than Pippen.
    Last edited by 97 bulls; 10-10-2015 at 06:39 PM.

Actually, from Grant Hill's rookie year in 1995, to his 3rd season in 1997 when he was selected for 1st Team All-NBA, everyone thought Grant Hill was better than Pippen.

He could have been selected 1st team from his rookie year but Pippen was boosted by 3-peating as the second option on the Bulls.. But anyone with 2 eyes saw that Grant had superior skill, bigger star potential and a ton of upside to go.. His last year before he got hurt, he averaged 26 ppg, which was a 5 point increase.

[COLOR="blue"]G. Hill 1995-1998: 20.7 ppg.. 8.3 rpg.. 6.5 apg.. 47.1% fg.. 21.7 PER[/COLOR]
    [COLOR="red"]Pippen 1995-1998: 20.2 ppg.. 6.7 rpg.. 5.6 apg.. 46.9% fg.. 21.4 PER[/COLOR]

But let's not forget the roles they played for their teams during the time your bringing up. I doubt Hill puts those stats up playing alongside Jordan.

Quote Originally Posted by 97 bulls

I doubt Hill puts those stats up playing alongside Jordan.
    Of course he would.. Just like Pippen, Hill would have the game's biggest assist target running around off-ball, except Hill was a far superior creator and playmaker off-the-dribble, so his game would be enhanced even more than Pippen's did.

Pippen played better defense, MJ just played tougher and fouled.

Either way Grant manhandled them both and scored on both plays

3-time NBA All-Star

jordan is better. Its just that offense is more important and harder than defense so he delegate it to pippen. I mean let role players do the easy task coz stamina is limited. Only losers like bran would care about those easy task like passing and defending. You dont see a ceo being at the same time the janitor.

Kobe Bryant.

Quote Originally Posted by raprap
    Kobe Bryant.
    Most overrated defender of all time.

Quote Originally Posted by Hey Yo
    You've really outdone yourself with that one.

Let me know when you give LeBron the benefit of the doubt when he was playing on the road.
    Yarp.

Championship or bust Cali Syndicate's Avatar

Hill was an all around better offensive player. Better slasher, better in the post, better playmaker and had an amazing stop and pop. Pippen did have a more consistent jumper as well as more range. Pippen was leaps and bounds better on the other side of the ball though.

I'd prefer Pippen over Hill on my team but many definitely did see Hill to be better in his prime, mainly because they focused on his offensive advantages over Pippen while conveniently overlooking Pippen's defensive prowess.

Quote Originally Posted by knicksman

jordan is better. Its just that offense is more important and harder than defense so he delegate it to pippen.
    "Delegating"... I guess that's why the Bulls chose MJ to guard Clyde Drexler in 1992 Finals - because in reality, Pippen was the better defender...

I guess that's why the Bulls chose MJ to guard Magic in the 1991 Finals for 14 of 20 quarters (70%) and not Pippen... because Pippen was really the better defender...

I guess that's why the Bulls chose MJ to guard Gary Payton from the tip-off in Game 3 and Game 5 of the 1996 Finals - MJ was Payton's primary defender for those 2 games, while Pippen guarded Hersey Hawkins.. The Bulls did that because Pippen was really the better defender..

Quote Originally Posted by knicksman

Only losers like bran would care about defending.
    Oh shit.. you were TROLLING the whole time!!!...

I get it.. I must say, I'm a little embarrassed...

Obviously, there isn't a coach or player alive that would say that MJ, the greatest perimeter defender of all time, delegated defense to others.. only new fans biased by jordan fatigue would be that ignorant.
    Last edited by 3ball; 10-11-2015 at 10:43 AM.